Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

Here's a Jimmy G appreciation thread. He just completed his first 16 games in Shanahan's offense. Here's his "season's" stats:

333 of 493 (67.5%) 4084 yards (8.3 YPA) , 25 TDs, 15 INTs, 97.11 QBR, 3 4th quarter comebacks, 3 game-winning drives. A 14-2 record.

An additional 2 TDs and 13 first downs added in the run game.

We've got a good one, FYI. 

• Like 10

Absolutely, and he's still not fully confident in his injured knee. Some of the balls lack a little juice that once he gets it he's going to be even better. 

I don't think people realize just how impressive his performances have been with 4th and 5th string tackles and without a true capable WR until Sanders came on aboard. 

There's another level for him to go to that will make us a force for the next five-seven years.

Exciting times! 

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/FJZ-Cp5NrKs?t=125

His teammates already knew.

“Yeah, he’s pretty good,” San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle said. “I don’t know why people don’t think he is. He makes some pretty gutsy throws out there, doesn’t he? Goodness gracious.”

https://apnews.com/f4d3ecd7650e4f8d86a1b91a18ff0937

“Our team has done a good job of winning in different ways this year,” Garoppolo said. “Whether it’s offense, special teams, defense or mixing and matching all of them. That’s how you create a good football team. You’re not relying on one part and everyone’s playing tomorrow. Complimentary football.

“That’s where we’re at right now.”

• Like 1

EASILY Jimmy's best game since we faced the Titans in 2017. Clutch throws, accuarcy and awareness....and NO interceptions! We should play on Thursdays every week if this is what I can expect from him. Hopefully this is a building block type of game for the passing game. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

“Our team has done a good job of winning in different ways this year,” Garoppolo said. “Whether it’s offense, special teams, defense or mixing and matching all of them. That’s how you create a good football team. You’re not relying on one part and everyone’s playing tomorrow. Complimentary football.

“That’s where we’re at right now.”

And this is the crux of it all, isn't it? Close games or blowouts, run game and pass game rolling or not, pass defense and run defense stepping up when they need to...

This team is good. And I am just enjoying every minute. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

EASILY Jimmy's best game since we faced the Titans in 2017. Clutch throws, accuarcy and awareness....and NO interceptions! We should play on Thursdays every week if this is what I can expect from him. Hopefully this is a building block type of game for the passing game. 

The good news - I think you'll get your wish. With the three big offensive pieces coming back and an actual #1 WR in the fold, we all will get to see this passing game excel.

...but only when we need it to do so. 

So I know all offseason and during TC and even the beginning of this season, I kept saying don't expect Jimmy G to truly get back and feel comfortable until the mid way point of the season. And I compared it to Watson coming back from his own ACL injury last season. Further point, Watson's stats in the first seven games last season:

152-241 1,937 63% yds 8.0 YPA, 10 TDs 7 INTs, 89.9 QB rating

Watson's stats in the last 9 games:

193-264 2,228 73% YDS 8.4 YPA, 16 TDs 2 INTs, 115.2 QB rating

Are the numbers for Watson in his first seven games not similar to Jimmy G's first seven games this season? The post-ACL mental struggles for QBs is a REAL thing. This is not an excuse at all but just reality. 

The best of Jimmy G was always going to be in the 2nd half of the season, NOT in the first of the season. And for him to even be solid/good early on with both starting tackles out, starting FB out and not having any consistent WR play? That was a good future predictor of what was to come when some of those things correct itself, as well as him gaining more confidence in his knee. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I know all offseason and during TC and even the beginning of this season, I kept saying don't expect Jimmy G to truly get back and feel comfortable until the mid way point of the season. And I compared it to Watson coming back from his own ACL injury last season. Further point, Watson's stats in the first seven games last season:

152-241 1,937 63% yds 8.0 YPA, 10 TDs 7 INTs, 89.9 QB rating

Watson's stats in the last 9 games:

193-264 2,228 73% YDS 8.4 YPA, 16 TDs 2 INTs, 115.2 QB rating

Are the numbers for Watson in his first seven games not similar to Jimmy G's first seven games this season? The post-ACL mental struggles for QBs is a REAL thing. This is not an excuse at all but just reality. 

The best of Jimmy G was always going to be in the 2nd half of the season, NOT in the first of the season. And for him to even be solid/good early on with both starting tackles out, starting FB out and not having any consistent WR play? That was a good future predictor of what was to come when some of those things correct itself, as well as him gaining more confidence in his knee. 

Let's hope so because we're getting into the toughest stretch of the schedule soon.

Mid way through the season, here are Jimmy G's stats, and where he ranks among other QBs:

160-226 70.8% 1,806 yds 8.0 YPA 13 TDs 7 INTs, 100.6 QB rating 68.6 QBR

4th in completion percentage

8th in YPA

9th in QB rating

7th in QBR

9th in EPA

5th in EPA per play

The last few stats for those that are into advanced stats. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mid way through the season, here are Jimmy G's stats, and where he ranks among other QBs:

8th in YPA

9th in QB rating

7th in QBR

9th in EPA

5th in EPA per play

His adjusted net yards / attempt ranks 10th, as well. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

8th in YPA

9th in QB rating

7th in QBR

9th in EPA

5th in EPA per play

Projected over a full season, the yardage and touchdowns would both be the best since Jeff Garcia in 2000. The Quarterback Rating would be the highest for any player making at least 8 starts in a season since Alex Smith in 2012.