Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Not a dig a Jimbo but #1 here but boy when we need that one big one in the SB, it didn't happen. =/

Who's to say it would have been the only one we needed? It would have been 27 points for us instead of 20, but KC did score 31....it was a combination of the D making some mistakes and the refs overlooking some obvious penalties. ¬¬

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Who's to say it would have been the only one we needed? It would have been 27 points for us instead of 20, but KC did score 31....it was a combination of the D making some mistakes and the refs overlooking some obvious penalties. ¬¬

My assumption is that we would of won 27-24. Defensive stand.....

On 3/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, NcFinest9erFan said:

My assumption is that we would of won 27-24. Defensive stand.....

There is no doubt that he could have made more plays and that if he would have, we would have won. That doesn't mean he was bad though, was having a really good game through 3 quarters 

The main things that stick out in my mind are the balls that Chris Jones batted down and the overthrow to Sanders 

If Chris Jones doesn't bat those balls down, I believe we win. He had 3 in a very short span. Guys were wide open and Garoppolo was throwing the ball in rhythm. Jones just timed it and we didn't know what to do about it. They put him on the side of the field they knew we were going to try and attack. After the second one, Garoppolo needed to pump fake or move his feet maybe. Kinda tough, Jones is a massive human being and super athletic

Garoppolo was really good this year in the regular season. There was absolutely room for improvement but the guy was clutch all year. I know the superbowl can be viewed as the only thing that matters, but let's look at the whole body of work, he was good.

He had some flashes of greatness and poor plays in the same games. I want to see more consistency from him. Get rid of the dumb turnovers. Turnovers happen, I'm fine with taking risks, but the unforced errors were my biggest concern. 

His throwing motion is unique. We saw it in 2017. He wouldn't move his feet or his hips and the ball would be pinpoint. He basically was a quickdrawing sharpshooter from 1849 in the wild west (49er pun). In 2018 he tried to incorporate his hips into his throwing motion and it didn't look the same at first. He didn't really go back to the same quick type throws changing arm angles etc until the second half of KC. We saw it a few times this year and we also saw a lot of times he was super accurate while having good, traditional style footwork. 

I am not sure how good his knee felt at times this year. Against MIN he got hit low on that knee, then threw a pick, and then we kinda stopped throwing the ball. Same thing happened in the NFCCG, he got his low on his front leg.

I'm not making any excuses for anything, but you have to wonder about it because his pocket presence left a lot to be desired. That is one thing I am hoping he greatly improves at this year. I want him to study how Brees moves in the pocket. 

Last off-season he probably wasn't able to really do these type of in pocket movement drills as much as he wanted to because of the knee injury. 

Everything starts with your feet. If he can be more polished in that department, then I think he will be more consistent overall. 

He seemed to have tunnel vision in certain spots last year. Locking onto one read or predermining throws. It wasn't all the time, but sometimes he reverted back to those bad habits. It's not like he can't go through progressions quickly, we have seen him do that tons of times. In 2017 he looked super aware of situations and was able to decipher defenses after the snap. At a minimum, he needed to look off defenders more, maybe doing so would have not let Chris Jones time him up so well. 

I do believe he is humble enough to allow himself to be coached on these issues. He's smart enough to recognize that he has room to improve. He's a hard working guy that gets along great with everyone. I kinda like how much the media is doubting him, and the fact the Brady chatter is out there. I hope that ticks him off and makes him work 10x harder this off-season. Going to make it that much sweeter when we win 

Bottom line to me is that some of his faults are correctable, and that I believe in him to do everything in his power to be the best player he can be. If he takes a step forward, we will be unstoppable

GO NINERS 

David Lombardi (@LombardiHimself) Tweeted:
The only QB who was more efficient here than Jimmy Garoppolo with worse pass protection in 2019 was Russell Wilson. This was also an issue in the Super Bowl and should be a point of emphasis in the 49ers’ offseason. https://t.co/ksJjx9yw4V https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1224817999284060160?s=20

Sorry I suck at linking the images

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Garoppolo, in particular, appearing this high goes some way towards busting the narrative that all he does is take advantage of throws that Kyle Shanahan schemes up for him, as Garoppolo’s PFF grade over the past two seasons actually gets better when forced beyond his first read.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-best-quarterbacks-on-first-and-second-read-throws-patrick-mahomes-drew-brees-aaron-rodgers

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

He actually gets in trouble when he predetermines the throw before the snap so this makes sense. Jimmy doesn't even read the underneath LB or S and just throws it just because that's where he is "supposed" to go with the ball. But when he actually sits back and operates in the pocket, he is really good. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He actually gets in trouble when he predetermines the throw before the snap so this makes sense. Jimmy doesn't even read the underneath LB or S and just throws it just because that's where he is "supposed" to go with the ball. But when he actually sits back and operates in the pocket, he is really good. 

So is that more on him or more on Kyle telling him where the ball should go on certain plays?

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So is that more on him or more on Kyle telling him where the ball should go on certain plays?

Pretty sure Kyle's directions include something like "If x D player goes x direction, then throw the ball here. If x D player goes y direction, then throw the ball there..." Though I am certain he explains it much better than I could. :$

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just means he will get released instead.......Which sucks of course since we won't get a draft compensation for him, if we decide to go that route. 

Not necessarily...depends on if he wants to keep his salary in place. If he doesn't waive and gets released, there's a chance that whomever signs him does so for less than he's slated to make. He'd have to work that market out with his agent, though that may be a little tricky. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not necessarily...depends on if he wants to keep his salary in place. If he doesn't waive and gets released, there's a chance that whomever signs him does so for less than he's slated to make. He'd have to work that market out with his agent, though that may be a little tricky. 

I mean sure but who is going to want to pay him 27M anyways or whatever he is getting paid?