Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

Truthfully, Shanny gave about the most political answer he could give in the quote's entirety. 

"I expect him to be our starter next year.......(bunch of stuff about this year)......but to think we've made any decisions on anybody going into the future just isn't the case"...and like others have said, that is 100% the answer he should be giving to that kind of question.

So sure...he expects him to be the starter but also hasn't made a decision yet lol. That cuts both ways. He's keeping all options open and on the table. As I've mentioned before, you don't make that move without having an acceptable back up plan, so of course at this point in time, without being able to make certain moves (sign someone, trade for someone, draft someone) the expectation is that he's our starter moving forward. We don't have a better option on the roster as it currently stands. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

What would you have him say?

"Yeah, we don't think he really has a future here and our intention is to cut him when the new league year rolls around? 

"It's an ongoing process/we'll evaluate our options at the end of the year/I hope Jimmy can remain our starter." 

Shanahan made it no secret that he wasn't happy with Pettis after he ran out of chances. He didn't talk him up just so he could trade him lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

"It's an ongoing process/we'll evaluate our options at the end of the year/I hope Jimmy can remain our starter." 

Shanahan made it no secret that he wasn't happy with Pettis after he ran out of chances. He didn't talk him up just so he could trade him lol. 

He basically did that by saying they have made no determinations on players moving into the future....

Just now, Forge said:

He basically did that by saying they have made no determinations on players moving into the future....

Right, but he could have easily left out "I expect...." as in "this is what should happen". If Shanny is already dead-set on finding someone else I wouldn't expect him to use that phrasing. A lot of folks though thinks Jimmy is for sure gone though. 

19 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Right, but he could have easily left out "I expect...." as in "this is what should happen". If Shanny is already dead-set on finding someone else I wouldn't expect him to use that phrasing. A lot of folks though thinks Jimmy is for sure gone though. 

Why not? Words are wind. They mean nothing...especially the word "expect", and particularly this early in the process. If he says something else, maybe he thinks if he doesn't include that, it's a bigger story and a distraction. Maybe he says something else and it causes friction between he and Jimmy and then nothing pans out and we are left with him. 

I really don't know why you would have any expectations on how he may respond to such a question lol. That's a weird thing to have an expectation about given that there are a myriad of reasons on why he would give any answer he may have given. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Why not? Words are wind. They mean nothing...especially the word "expect", and particularly this early in the process. If he says something else, maybe he thinks if he doesn't include that, it's a bigger story and a distraction. Maybe he says something else and it causes friction between he and Jimmy and then nothing pans out and we are left with him. 

I really don't know why you would have any expectations on how he may respond to such a question lol. That's a weird thing to have an expectation about given that there are a myriad of reasons on why he would give any answer he may have given. 

Shanahan doesn't seem like a bull****ter, which is why my expectations for him are different compared to anyone else. And yes, it is possible to be cordial while also not being a bull****ter. Shanahan is sharing what he ideally would like to happen for next year. I'm not going to now automatically assuming he's lying/playing 4D chess/being PC when that hasn't stopped him in the past from being forthright. Obviously at this time he hasn't decided on the future of the roster. But that doesn't necessarily mean he can't share what he'd ideally want/expect. But I guess this all goes out the window if you're assuming he's lying from the jump. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

You have no way of knowing that

Okay. You have no way of knowing that isn't true either. Depends on what you believe. 

You also have no idea that you aren't a brain in a jar plugged into a machine, and that all of reality is a facsimile. Or that I'm psychic regarding specific matters. You don't know. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Okay. You have no way of knowing that isn't true either. Depends on what you believe. 

You also have no idea that you aren't a brain in a jar plugged into a machine, and that all of reality is a facsimile. :)

I'm not claiming it's not. I'm saying it's worthless because there is no way to know. 

You were the one using it to denigrate n4l's post. You are the one using it as fact and using it as evidentiary support to debase his post. I would say burden of proof is on you

27 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shanahan doesn't seem like a bull****ter, which is why my expectations for him are different compared to anyone else. And yes, it is possible to be cordial while also not being a bull****ter. Shanahan is sharing what he ideally would like to happen for next year. I'm not going to now automatically assuming he's lying/playing 4D chess/being PC when that hasn't stopped him in the past from being forthright. Obviously at this time he hasn't decided on the future of the roster. But that doesn't necessarily mean he can't share what he'd ideally want/expect. But I guess this all goes out the window if you're assuming he's lying from the jump. 

Its not bull****ting, its playing poker. And all HCs are playing poker when it comes to the media at certain times, even Shanny.

If a better option than Jimmy becomes clear after the season, I guarantee you, Jimmy will be outta here with the quickness and that little quote will be long forgotten. BUT right now, he's a Niner. And there may be a scenario where we have no choice but to bring Jimmy back. And in that scenario, that quote sounds like a HC who has faith in his QB...which can go a long way into helping a struggling QB's physce like Jimmy's. So even if behind closed doors you're completely disgusted with his play and can't wait to toss him out the door, Jazzy Jeff style, in public you stand behind him until you don't have to. Have we learned nothing from Mike Nolan in this regard??? You prop up your QB to the media ALWAYS. Especially when he's currently the best option you have. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Its not bull****ting, its playing poker. And all HCs are playing poker when it comes to the media at certain times, even Shanny.

If a better option than Jimmy becomes clear after the season, I guarantee you, Jimmy will be outta here with the quickness and that little quote will be long forgotten. BUT right now, he's a Niner. And there may be a scenario where we have no choice but to bring Jimmy back. And in that scenario, that quote sounds like a HC who has faith in his QB...which can go a long way into helping a struggling QB's physce like Jimmy's. So even if behind closed doors you're completely disgusted with his play and can't wait to toss him out the door, Jazzy Jeff style, in public you stand behind him until you don't have to. Have we learned nothing from Mike Nolan in this regard??? You prop up your QB to the media ALWAYS. Especially when he's currently the best option you have. 

I'm not convinced this is one of those times, but we'll see when we regroup here in a few months. But if someone chooses to live in a world where it's impossible for Kyle to just have made that statement as a true expectation as to what he wants, then well, yeah even in hindsight you can play the "well there was just no one better out there" card in 5 months. What they decide to do with their limited cap space will tell a lot, since even if no one better is out there, and you assume he isn't the guy, then just cut bait and save the $25 million or whatever and be a lackluster team with cash in your pocket. 

Hmm...but can Shanahan play poker and still have faith in Jimmy G??? He said he wants him to come back towards the end of the year if possible. And since he hasn't had surgery, that may happen. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you are truthfully just commenting on the humor of it with regards to timing, then that's my bad in an interpretation error. Didn't come across that way to me, especially given your responses

I wasn't being that serious about it, since we all don't know. I did find it funny though that around the time of that tirade post Shanahan made that statement. Chuckles. 

And BTW, I respect most people's intellect enough to not preface certain statements about future events as predictions based on my belief of what is to happen, instead of claiming what I'm about to say is a premonition of what will happen. Should go without saying most of the time :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I'm not convinced this is one of those times, but we'll see when we regroup here in a few months. But if someone chooses to live in a world where it's impossible for Kyle to just have made that statement as a true expectation as to what he wants, then well, yeah even in hindsight you can play the "well there was just no one better out there" card in 5 months. What they decide to do with their limited cap space will tell a lot, since even if no one better is out there, and you assume he isn't the guy, then just cut bait and save the $25 million or whatever and be a lackluster team with cash in your pocket. 

Hmm...but can Shanahan play poker and still have faith in Jimmy G??? He said he wants him to come back towards the end of the year if possible. And since he hasn't had surgery, that may happen. 

To the second paragraph, yes both can be true. That's part of the reason he isn't slamming the door shut on him publicly, which is why he said "yeah I expect him to be on the team but also I haven't done my full review yet" that's 100% a coach speaking out of both sides of his mouth 

To the bold - it's about value. What kind of production can you get from a rookie plus what kind of production can you get from whatever else you spend the money on, relative to the production you can get out of Jimmy for 25m? 

Pretty simple answer to me, right now there is nothing Garoppolo has done this season that I don't think another cheaper QB can do for us

It pains me to say it. I like Jimmy a lot and was really really hoping he would take a step forward this year, and even as the other injuries were piling up I kept saying "it's just up to Garoppolo to go out and win us games". 

At some point though, you have to remove your bias and see things for what they are. Jimmy has not been good this year, for reasons unrelated to the ankle in a lot of ways. Does that mean the book is closed on him? No, not necessarily. Does that mean Kyle has 100% moved on? No, he's clearly focused on winning each week as it comes and the season isn't over yet. Jimmy is the best QB we have right now and he's hoping Jimmy can come back to lead us to the playoffs. That's the mind set right now for Kyle. 

I am just taking the data and extrapolating it. Very slim chance Garoppolo is back for 25m. If he is willing to take a pay cut? Then sure, come back and let's go win a ring. Otherwise it's time to move on and go with someone else 

• Like 1