Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

Because of the lower cap in 2021, I think if we were to go via FA/trade for a new QB. I think the two more REALISTIC names are Cam Newton and Sam Darnold.

like I said before, it be nice if ATL/DET/PHI ate the dead money for their QBs but I can't see it happening.

As much as I like Zach Wilson, i'm so/so with "starting over" with a rookie QB. I guess I want results ASAP. Going to the SB and losing isn't helping me.

I really don't mind a healthy Cam in this offense.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Because of the lower cap in 2021, I think if we were to go via FA/trade for a new QB. I think the two more REALISTIC names are Cam Newton and Sam Darnold.

like I said before, it be nice if ATL/DET/PHI ate the dead money for their QBs but I can't see it happening.

As much as I like Zach Wilson, i'm so/so with "starting over" with a rookie QB. I guess I want results ASAP. Going to the SB and losing isn't helping me.

I really don't mind a healthy Cam in this offense.

I would absolutely get behind Darnold. The kid has been beaten to a pulp in NY and isn't very recognizable right now. But there is ALOT of talent in Darnold still and you give Shanny a young QB to retool and mold into his own and we'd be contenders for the foreseeable future, even with the cap limitations. 

I just don't see Newton as a viable option for this offense in any way. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What trade value do you put on JG? What would be a reasonable return?

He has a no trade clause, so that clouds it right there. I'd guess the return is okay, not great. Second day pick maybe. 

That being said, I think he's probably back next year. Don't think shanny loves him, but I don't think there's anything better that we can get. It's a marriage of convenience

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

He has a no trade clause, so that clouds it right there. I'd guess the return is okay, not great. Second day pick maybe. 

That being said, I think he's probably back next year. Don't think shanny loves him, but I don't think there's anything better that we can get. It's a marriage of convenience

If Lynch calls Belichik, do you think he's interested? He looks like a genius if he gets his Jimmy back, and pays less for him than what he got for him. He's familiar. It's his chance to try to stick it to Brady. Imagine we get a third back. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

If Lynch calls Belichik, do you think he's interested? He looks like a genius if he gets his Jimmy back, and pays less for him than what he got for him. He's familiar. It's his chance to try to stick it to Brady. Imagine we get a third back. 

I think Jimmy will be with us next year even if we take a QB high. I’m really hoping we can pull off what the Chiefs did when they had Alex Smith and traded up for Mahomes. Draft a QB high, roll out Jimmy to start the season and see where things go from there. Obviously Jimmy can’t be trusted to start a full season at this point, so odds are we’d see our young QB before his second year. 

9 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Yeah I'm trying to think of ways we could get Jimmy. We probably have good capital to give up, but it's knowing what it would be worth. BB wouldn't break the bank for him, but I do think he wants Jimmy back

18 hours ago, Forge said:

I kind of wonder what Jameis would do in your scheme. The problem with him is turnovers, but with how well Shanny schemes guys open, I could see that maybe mitigating things a bit. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a chance somewhere. He's still pretty young, and there are worse QBs than him starting. Then again, turnovers are hard to swallow in today's NFL.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I kind of wonder what Jameis would do in your scheme. The problem with him is turnovers, but with how well Shanny schemes guys open, I could see that maybe mitigating things a bit. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a chance somewhere. He's still pretty young, and there are worse QBs than him starting. Then again, turnovers are hard to swallow in today's NFL.

I would take Jameis on a year rental if I knew we were getting another QB to groom behind him.

I prefer to go after Darnold though. I'm pretty sure the Jets are going to take a QB so Darnold should be attainable. If we could land both I think would be perfect. Jameis takes a one year deal, builds up enough film to hit free agency again 2022. Darnold gets to sit behind Jamies (and Mullens probably), learn the system for a year and repair all the trauma built up under Gase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You stole my thunder. I was going to bring this up later when n4l and I did the pod, but yes, I think there is merit to the winston idea. 

Fun fact about the turnovers. Before his year with Arians, winston threw 58 ints in 1922 attempts, about 3%. Jimmy's int rate with the niners, 2.9%.

If people accept that part of that is adjusting to Arians (this has happened with all three of his stops), there should be reason to believe that Winston would not be that much worse, if worse at all, then Jimmy in this especially if assuming some regression as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I would take Jameis on a year rental if I knew we were getting another QB to groom behind him.

I prefer to go after Darnold though. I'm pretty sure the Jets are going to take a QB so Darnold should be attainable. If we could land both I think would be perfect. Jameis takes a one year deal, builds up enough film to hit free agency again 2022. Darnold gets to sit behind Jamies (and Mullens probably), learn the system for a year and repair all the trauma built up under Gase.

I would 100% take Winston to be the starter if you're doing so at an amount of 10 or less. That's a pretty sizable decrease in money shelling out to the QB position. 

I'd be interested in Darnold as well, of course, though weirdly I Think from an on field production standpoint, he's riskier than Winston (that sounds really weird to say) 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I would 100% take Winston to be the starter if you're doing so at an amount of 10 or less. That's a pretty sizable decrease in money shelling out to the QB position. 

I'd be interested in Darnold as well, of course, though weirdly I Think from an on field production standpoint, he's riskier than Winston (that sounds really weird to say) 

Yea, I get what your saying. There is still alot of unknown with Darnold because his play has been so bad. But I see a path eerily similar to Tannenhill if he can get with the right coach (Shanny). That's why I wouldn't want him to start right away. Let him sit, take the pressure off him and just allow him to be built back up into the Top 3 overall pick he was before landing in that cesspool.

AND I'd look at Mariota too. Couldn't hurt imo.

• Like 1

If we’re talking solely re-tread QBs, I’d throw a late round pick at Jacksonville for Minshew. If nothing else he’s a good backup and costs a fraction of the money of guys like Winston and Darnold. (Plus Minshew was my late round sleeper his draft year so teaming him with Shanny might make me look like I know what I’m talking about). 

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I get what your saying. There is still alot of unknown with Darnold because his play has been so bad. But I see a path eerily similar to Tannenhill if he can get with the right coach (Shanny). That's why I wouldn't want him to start right away. Let him sit, take the pressure off him and just allow him to be built back up into the Top 3 overall pick he was before landing in that cesspool.

AND I'd look at Mariota too. Couldn't hurt imo.

Tannehill was the same QB he is now before his ACL in 2017 and then he had a down year in 2018 coming back from it and having Gase. Tannehill had shown the ability which isn't the case for Darnold. Could Darnold turn it around with good coaching and better play calling? Offcourse but this isn't comparable to the Tannehill situation.