Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we pick top 8, then we can easily get to the top 5-6 if need be for say someone like Wilson or maybe even Fields. I think Fields likely goes top 2, but in case he falls then a move for him can be made. Lance is right there as well and he's probably my favorite at this moment or at least tied with Wilson. I like Lance's size more but both can make pretty much all the throws. Lance is going to be super raw but Shanny can have a system ready for him in year one where it is pretty safe and would make it easy for him. PLEASE finish in the top 8! 

Yeah, I'm warming up to the Trey Lance and also getting myself ready for Jimmy G to be back for another year.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

If you're going to quote me, you should keep it in there. I still get the notification, after all. 

I have no problem with people saying that about Winston, but the idea that money is irrelevant is not a good take and Jimmy has been nearly as careless with the football as Winston over his career outside of last year. That's just fact....not really commentary. The way that Jimmy plays this game as a caretaker, he should have an INT rate less than 2%. The fact that his rate is nearly 3% is horrifying and I'm not sure how Jimmy Stans don't acknowledge that. Derek Carr has played an insanely similar game the last two years and his int rate is about 1.5. Brees' has been 1%. Those are the two closest starters and then there's kind of a huge jump in terms of how often QBs throw down field.  I mean, Gardner Minshew throws the ball down field on average a good chunk more (on average more than half a yard) and has an INT rate of less than 1.5%. People can give Winston crap about the turnovers and I get it, but the failure to acknowledge how bad Jimmy is in this regard kind of blows my  mind. 

LIS, there should be no such thing as a 27 million QB. He can't carry a team and he just sucks up money for putting up a good team around him. It's sort of the funny thing about it. You want to take your chance paying him 27 million and not fielding as good of a team around him, thats up to you....but there is definitely valid arguments to be made at moneyballing that position instead (pick your poison; Minshew, Winston, Darnold) to put a better team around the QB. There's nothing that suggests that either methodology has more merit because it's based solely on how you subjectively evaluate the QB. I don't think Jimmy is very good...so replacing him with another QB who is not very good but cheaper is fine with me and I do think that some people would actually like the higher variance of other quarterbacks though, to be honest. IF winston bottoms out, then the team just picks high, and that's probably the ultimate goal anyway; getting a quarterback selected highly who is great and can be on a rookie deal. If people want to remain bullish on Jimmy, I also have no problem with that. Not something I particularly agree with, but I get spying that occasional good game and thinking maybe it can carry over. I just see him missing so much that I don't particularly love what I'm seeing. 

I was going to quote you specifically, but then I saw you weren't the only one sipping the Kool-Aid. 

But yeah, have fun with Winston. Just don't expect to be eating many W's. I'd rather have Jimmy. Better a has-been than a never-was. At least as far as NFL veterans go. He does need to take a paycut though. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The root of the matter is Jimmy isn't worth 27 million. Hell, he isn't worth 17 millon. I think some of you have actually forgotten what a legit NFL QB looks like in a Niners uniform. 

Winston under center is no different than Jimmy. There will be maddening throws and decision-making, wildly inconsistent accuracy and costly ints. 

Only difference is Winston will actually throw the ball deep....and hit on a few. And maybe his legs allows him to navigate the pocket a little better. Oh....and he'll cost a little over 20 mil less.

Call me when Jimmy throws 30 INTS, fumbles 15 times, or has an INT rate approaching 5%. Who cares if Winston is throwing the ball down the field more, he's killing his team with turnovers. He should cost less my goodness people. 

I do agree that Jimmy should take a lower salary, but trading him out for Winston is lunacy. You're nuking the season from the start if Winston is your replacement. Cool you save money. You ain't going nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I was going to quote you specifically, but then I saw you weren't the only one sipping the Kool-Aid. 

But yeah, have fun with Winston. Just don't expect to be eating many W's. I'd rather have Jimmy. Better a has-been than a never-was. At least as far as NFL veterans go. 

it's not about kool aid. Its about Jimmy not being a good quarterback and maximizing production / value / cost and if you believe that Shanny does a lot of the heavy lifting for Jimmy (which he does) and could prop up someone like Winston just as well, there's a discussion to be made. If you think that Jimmy does most of the heavy lifting in this offense...more power to you. Have no idea how you would think that, but okay. Dude does very little in this offense, doesn't make any out of structure plays, etc. LIS, not about Winston, it's more about Jimmy. I think Winston / Jimmy is going to be similar but the former is cheaper. I would also probably roll with Minshew over Jimmy given the cost difference. 

There's a reason that after a super bowl win people were saying Jimmy was in a make or break year. You're not going to find a ton of people who have a lot of faith in him. Winston doesn't have to be your guy. I'd rather him than Darnold, others would rather gamble on Darnold. That's fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I do agree that Jimmy should take a lower salary, but trading him out for Winston is lunacy. You're nuking the season from the start if Winston is your replacement. Cool you save money. You ain't going nowhere. 

Understand that the people advocating for this think that "you ain't going nowhere" with Jimmy for the most part (moving forward...for a myriad of reasons which I have already gone into, some of which have nothing to do with Jimmy and just limitations in cash ) 

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I'm sayin the argument is already false. Which is factually is, unless the Super Bowl isn't considered anywhere. 

I'm saying that its not false because 2019 isn't 2021. I'm looking forward and projecting what can be done and where this team is going. Have fun living in the past :)