Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm saying that its not false because 2019 isn't 2021. I'm looking forward and projecting what can be done and where this team is going. Have fun living in the past :)

Oh okay sorry. That conveniently wasn't made clear before. But yeah, he won't help the team get anywhere, even though it's been proven possible before. That's cool. 

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh okay sorry. That conveniently wasn't made clear before. But yeah, he won't help the team get anywhere, even though it's been proven possible before. That's cool. 

Were you confused by me saying, "it's not about Winston, it's about Jimmy" several times? i don't know how to make it clearer....

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

it's not about kool aid. Its about Jimmy not being a good quarterback and maximizing production / value / cost and if you believe that Shanny does a lot of the heavy lifting for Jimmy (which he does) and could prop up someone like Winston just as well, there's a discussion to be made. If you think that Jimmy does most of the heavy lifting in this offense...more power to you. Have no idea how you would think that, but okay. Dude does very little in this offense, doesn't make any out of structure plays, etc. LIS, not about Winston, it's more about Jimmy. I think Winston / Jimmy is going to be similar but the former is cheaper. I would also probably roll with Minshew over Jimmy given the cost difference. 

There's a reason that after a super bowl win people were saying Jimmy was in a make or break year. You're not going to find a ton of people who have a lot of faith in him. Winston doesn't have to be your guy. I'd rather him than Darnold, others would rather gamble on Darnold. That's fine. 

Yeah...that's what I'm doing...moving goal posts. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh here we go, the goal post shifting/"you're not reading" correctly card. 

Yeah I don't have time for that. See you later Forge. Have fun advocating for Winston mate. I'm out. 

I just provided what I said. Rough look for you (again), I know. But keep just screaming how you're right and everyone else is the foolish one. 

12 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh here we go, the goal post shifting/"you're not reading" correctly card. 

Yeah I don't have time for that. See you later Forge. Have fun advocating for Winston mate. I'm out. 

I mean, I don't want to pile on. But there's been no goal post shifting. The point is that Jimmy is replaceable. You can debate about whether or not Jameis is better, etc. But that's not the point. Jimmy, Foles, Jameis, Dalton. Pick your poison, they're all on the spectrum of mediocrity. Jimmy had his moments in 2019, but between injuries and massive volatility (which seems to be a debate here and i'm not sure why. Jameis is not a good comparison as the dude is literally one of the most volatile QB in NFL history), in short he's not worth his paycheck now that we have other dudes we gotta pay.

For Example,  you can pay 10 million for someone like Dalton, keep Warner and Verrett or pay 27 Million for Jimmy G  This is literally about resource management. If Jimmy G was younger and had shown the physical gifts of an elite QB and just hadn't put together the consistency, then I think there would be a much more dignified argument for keeping him. But he's not that. His physical skills are mediocre and his whole game is suppose to be high level game management (Truly not an insult) who can keep our RAC monster in positions to dominate and not making mistakes, Especially in the clutch. He hasn't really done that to the level we need him too, especially when he was healthy this year. All we're literally asking him to do is be Something akin to Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr and that's even hard for him to manage at this juncture. Quite literally, we just want prime Alex Smith..and that appears to be a challenge for him. 

I don't hate the guy, I don't think he's inherently bad, but he's not worth what were paying him and unfortunately our team is backed into a corner financially to where we don't have the luxury of overpaying him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

You should have been here for Alex Smith :D:D:D:D:D

Those debates legit formed me as a man. I was going through puberty when those debates were raging on and I couldn't cope. Felt like Private Ryan except it wasn't machine gun fire, it was Y2, sbrown and Oldman raging. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I mean, I don't want to pile on. But there's been no goal post shifting. The point is that Jimmy is replaceable. You can debate about whether or not Jameis is better, etc. But that's not the point. Jimmy, Foles, Jameis, Dalton. Pick your poison, they're all on the spectrum of mediocrity. Jimmy had his moments in 2019, but between injuries and massive volatility (which seems to be a debate here and i'm not sure why. Jameis is not a good comparison as the dude is literally one of the most volatile QB in NFL history), in short he's not worth his paycheck now that we have other dudes we gotta pay.

For Example,  you can pay 10 million for someone like Dalton, keep Warner and Verrett or pay 27 Million for Jimmy G  This is literally about resource management. If Jimmy G was younger and had shown the physical gifts of an elite QB and just hadn't put together the consistency, then I think there would be a much more dignified argument for keeping him. But he's not that. His physical skills are mediocre and his whole game is suppose to be high level game management (Truly not an insult) who can keep our RAC monster in positions to dominate and not making mistakes, Especially in the clutch. He hasn't really done that to the level we need him too, especially when he was healthy this year. All we're literally asking him to do is be Something akin to Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr and that's even hard for him to manage at this juncture. Quite literally, we just want prime Alex Smith..and that appears to be a challenge for him. 

I don't hate the guy, I don't think he's inherently bad, but he's not worth what were paying him and unfortunately our team is backed into a corner financially to where we don't have the luxury of overpaying him. 

I wasn't arguing that. My first comment in here was about the scenario regarding Winston and Darnold as replacements as if they were on Jimmy's level, and I just thought that was nutty. Then magically the commentary between Forge and I shifted and it was about Jimmy compared to not just Winston/Darnold and suddenly I wasn't reading correctly when I called that out. Ummm...ok. I also said Jimmy needs to take a paycut. But whatever.