Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

And we're going nowhere with Jimmy....your point? And before you go stating the obvious, we got to the SB in spite of Jimmy, not because of. Jimmy did no heavy letting in 2019 outside of the NO game. 

And I can pretty much guarantee you won't see the Jameis here that you saw in TB under Arians. Sometimes circumstances define the outcome, not necessarily your ability. 

In your opinion sure. And that's fine. So...I don't have a "point" under that premise since it's not one that I personally share. 

Yeah I already anticipated "we won in spite of him" argument as a response. If you truly believe that then we have nothing further to discuss. Just agree to disagree there. No one was even saying that all last year, but whatever. 

Winston's fumbles, and 30 INTs aren't because of Arian. Sean Payton chose to go with a complete unknown in Hill over Winston when Brees went down too. Not good. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

50 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So your argument is a rookie QB > Winston??

I mean I can see how one would could come to that conclusion. I just don't see a rookie QB leading this team back to the playoffs. I mean its happened before....think the last was RG3 & Russ in 2012. But I'd rather have a rookie sit and learn a very complicated pro offense for a year before I throw him to the wolves. 

And it doesn't necessarily have to be Winston. It could be Tyrod Taylor. It could be Fitz. It could be Brissett. They are ALL pretty much the same player. 

Uh yes, I'd rather take a highly drafted rookie QB over Winston. Not even a debate. 

And Dak Prescott got the Cowboys to the playoffs as a rookie in the 2016 season. RGIII of all people lead Mike and Kyle's offense and got his team to the playoffs. I'm of the Peyton Manning school of thought of just getting out there and playing as he puts it. There is no correlation between sitting for a year, and playing from the jump in terms of being successful. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I said it all last season...check my post history. It wasn't a popular take but I was one of the few that was critical of his play pretty much the entire year.

Did you specifically say the team was winning in spite of Jimmy? 

Regardless, it wasn't a popular take at the time. You said so yourself. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I said it all last season...check my post history. It wasn't a popular take but I was one of the few that was critical of his play pretty much the entire year.

I mean, my take is seriously on several podcast episodes for consumption over this year and last year LOL. My opinion on Jimmy has never wavered. I've always thought he was okay and that about covers it. You can win with him in nearly perfect circumstances. 

It's pointless to argue because I don't think it's being done in good faith. I mean, we are castigated for putting money ahead of first down and TDs, only for the retort to be "jimmy has to take a paycut", which is so disingenuous given that part of the whole thing was based on cost efficiency for the position. 

15 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, the defense holding Wilson in check for the most part was more of a factor personally than anything Jimmy did.

That's funny, because Jimmy's 90.1 overall PFF grade that night was the second highest only to George Kittle's 94.1 grade. The highest defender for the evening was Sherman at 77.2. Hmmm, weird. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

Saints and second  Cards games he was incredible too.

Cards game I'm not going to count though. That's a horrific defense last year. It's like giving baker credit for all the times he's balling out against Cincy to make him seem better than he is lol. 

But he was good in the back half of the Packers game after changing out skule if I remember]

**edit**

I shouldn't say that I'm not going to count it. It still counts. But the expectation in those games is different. Sort of a different grading scale. Nobody should be looking at what he did to the Jets this year and rely on that for evidence that he had turned some corner early on in the season. I think you know what I mean. It was good that he played well in that game, but it was also to be expected. One of those games where if you play well it doesn't mean a ton, but if you play poorly, it matters a lot. Not fair, but we all know they exist. 

The problem has never been Jimmy's talent in a vacuum. I think that's important to say. He's a competent starting quarterback. The problem is solely the cost to get the production he gives. I'd say he can fall in with a big tier between 12-20 on any given day and if I were ranking QBs individually, he'd fall somewhere between 14-20. But I cannot pay him the money that he's getting to provide what he gives...and that's before even talking about the injury problem. Dude has seriously started 32 games and suffered 4 significant injuries. He's the Tyler Eifert of QBs at this point. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That's funny, because Jimmy's 90.1 overall grade that night was the second highest only to George Kittle's 94.1 grade. The highest defender for the evening was Sherman at 77.2. Hmmm, weird. 

Wilson attempted 40 passes and we held him to a 62.5 completion rate and 5.8 yards per attempt. AGAIN, that to me was more about the defense slowing down Wilson than Jimmy playing great. Jimmy was efficient...not great.

Honestly our defense played Wilson about as good as you could hope for in both games last year.

Edited by 757-NINER

19 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Did you specifically say the team was winning in spite of Jimmy? 

Basically. He was comptent and somewhat clutch on occasion. But the warts in his game were and still are VERY evident. Said all last year that Shanny's in game play-calling and tactics were done to mask Jimmy's limitations aa a passer. Nothing's changed in that regard.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Wilson attempted 40 passes and we held him to a 62.5 completion rate and 5.8 yards per attempt. AGAIN, that to me was more about the defense slowling down Wilson than Jimmy playing great. Jimmy was efficient...not great.

Honestly our defense played Wilson about as good as you could hope for in both games last year.

I agree to a point about the defense. They played as well as one could hope for against Wilson twice. The second game they gave up 21 second half points though, which is just not good. They're an inch away from losing that game, or maybe a boneheaded penalty on the Seahawks part for doing so due to the delay of game. Giving up almost 14 points in 3 1/2 minutes. Jimmy and the offense put up 26 points and that still almost wasn't enough. So ehhh, mixed bag from me, but I can at least see where you are coming from. Wilson is a difficult opponent, but even so the defense almost choked. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe