Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Also....LOL....

When asked about Garoppolo’s long injury history and the need to bolster the backup spot, Shanahan noted that even starter-quality backups are expensive. He seemed to indicate he’d be fine with C.J. Beathard or Nick Mullens in that position for another season.

Don't look too much into that. Shanahan made his true feelings felt when he said something like he thought he had three starting QBs on the roster but then two of them proved to be back up caliber QBs. He did say though that if you want a starting caliber back up, then you have to decide if you want to use a good portion of the cap space to that QB. So it's hard to get a read on what he wants to do this offseason, with or without Jimmy. 

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't look too much into that. Shanahan made his true feelings felt when he said something like he thought he had three starting QBs on the roster but then two of them proved to be back up caliber QBs. He did say though that if you want a starting caliber back up, then you have to decide if you want to use a good portion of the cap space to that QB. So it's hard to get a read on what he wants to do this offseason, with or without Jimmy. 

Barrows responded to someone that he didn't think Shanny lied and I responded he once told us we had 3 starting QBs on the roster :D:D:D

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Barrows responded to someone that he didn't think Shanny lied and I responded he once told us we had 3 starting QBs on the roster :D:D:D

I mean technically all three started games this season so he's not lying with that statement LOL.

Shanahan is mainly a straight shooter..........until it comes to his back up QBs! 

• Like 1

So Shanny is coming off an offseason where he didn't restructure Jimmy G's deal and seriously evaluated Brady as a replacement. And now, for the first time in a while (maybe ever) just randomly brings up our winning record with him and how good his contract is? 

Feels like they're building his trade value 

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

So Shanny is coming off an offseason where he didn't restructure Jimmy G's deal and seriously evaluated Brady as a replacement. And now, for the first time in a while (maybe ever) just randomly brings up our winning record with him and how good his contract is? 

Feels like they're building his trade value 

So I don't put a ton of stock when he says flattering things about players. That being said, I do buy into the situation mattering. At one point, I was like 50 / 50 on whether Jimmy is back. I'm now like 80% that Jimmy is our QB moving forward. 

There was a chance at one point that someone like Cousins could be available. Don't think that is the case any more. I think that Minnesota bites the bullet and just guarantees his 2022 salary. I don't think that we have a realistic shot at Stafford; He'd cost our first round pick which could be realistically as high as 11/12 (likely around 13), and I don't know if we are going to pass on that (4 QBs going in the top 10 has happened one time in modern history, so we are in a good spot if we like all the quarterbacks). Derek Carr seems unlikely to be an option, and I think that is the most lateral move you could possibly make; he and jimmy are the same damn person lol. Not worth it for a minor cap savings (especially with trading assets). Winston is cheaper, and while that is a move someone like myself would make, I see almost 0 realistic shot that Shanny does it. Jameis would drive him nuts. Teddy B is a lateral move, so no point in making that. Darnold is not a guy I'm enamored with. I get it....but...I don't know...I don't think it's there. 

Are we going to move off Jimmy for someone like Brissett or Fitzmagic? I doubt that. I can't see us in the Dak sweepstakes. Rivers is a free agent but he doesn't strike me as the type that is taking discounts, so thats a fairly lateral move. 

I just don't know where the improvement is coming from. I want no piece of Wentz, and even if you do think that he's possibly an upgrade on jimmy based on his skills, I don't know how you feel comfortable thinking that he's actually going to be playing closer to his ceiling than his floor. 

We don't have a super high pick, and Wilson's stock has skyrocketed. That leaves the likely quarterbacks as Fields and Lance. Both are intriguing...but are we starting either out of the gate? Maybe Fields...but I'm going to be honest...if Shanny values mental processing at all on the field, I don't know where he's going to stand with Fields. He's very slow...but very accurate...so that's going to be the trade off. But I could see how Fields wouldn't even be on the board. 

Ultimately, that's the problem. Do I think that we are moving heaven and earth to get to #2 for Wilson? No, just because teams don't often do that so I'm playing the percentages. 

I'm fine with running Jimmy back for another season...that's pretty much whatever. I think Jimmy + developmental guy is a little half ***ed, and I'm kind of all in or out this year when drafting a guy, but I get how it makes sense to take a Trask / Jones or whomever on day 2. My concern comes from the fact that I do believe that the FO understands that they can't field the team that is needed around Jimmy G in our current monetary situation which will lead them to no other choice but to restructure him moving forward. We did everything we could to avoid it this year, but we are the end here. You have to crap or get off the pot and make a decision one way or the other. Anything else is a half measure destined to fail. 

So ultimately, I don't know where the improvement is and this is at the very least a competitive team. 

• Like 1

I prefer to see Jimmy G get traded but it depends on who replaces him. First round draft pick would be fine by me but I would expect the rookie to sit for a year. As long as we don't trade for Stafford/Ryan/etc. because Jimmy G has at least a very team friendly contract and with players who need to be re-signed coming up, no reason to screw that up.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So ultimately, I don't know where the improvement is and this is at the very least a competitive team. 

I'm starting to believe we'll pursue a trade to #2 with the Jets for Wilson. Even with all our injuries we're still gona finish 6-10. I'm predicting we pick around 11, but lets see. 

This could be the last time we're this high to pick a top tier QB prospect. I fully support a trade up to #2 for Wilson, & jettison Jimmy to the Pats or Jets or whoever.

If not, i wouldn't mind keeping Jimmy G & either going after a draft prospect (Lance, Fields, Trask) or young QB (Darnold) to develop. Lawrence is going #1, Wilson will require a trade-up and i'm not sure if Shanny will like Jones, so i think those 4 are the only other developmental options.

Ryan & Stafford would require premium picks & a lot of cap space already....plus both only have a few years left. Its worth if it we win a SB, but idk. It seems like both QB's just make too many mistakes in the clutch. 

Also, i wouldn't mind keeping Rosen around either...but for him to compete for our backup QB or even 3rd QB spot. 

Edited by 49ersfan

Looks like George made his feelings clear. 

“At the end of the day I play tight end here and I just work here, but I think that I do have a little bit of a voice and I’ve said multiple times that I just love playing football with Jimmy G,” Kittle told KNBR's Mark Willard. “Our team is different when he’s out there, and that’s why it’s fun to play football with him because I think we both have big-time changes to our huddles when we’re both on the football field.

“I can’t say enough about the leader Jimmy G is, and how his presence changes how the team is feeling, how the team is going about its business and how the team practices every day. Jimmy G is our quarterback, and moving forward he’s our quarterback, and that’s all I really have to say about it.

“I’m going to go with the guy that took us to a Super Bowl and played at a high level the entire year. That’s my case for Jimmy G and I think it’s a decent one.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/george-kittle-shuts-down-idea-49ers-moving-jimmy-garoppolo

I know the quick rebuttal for the skeptic crowd would be "Well, what is he supposed to say???" But players can definitely make it clear in a slick PR manner their feelings on their QB situation. Just depends on the person. I remember Terrell Owens not endorsing Jeff Garcia when questioned when the losses piled up in 2003, and Michael Crabtree having some shady remarks when asked about Alex Smith circa 2011 lockout. Definitely weren't ringing endorsements. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Looks like George made his feelings clear. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/george-kittle-shuts-down-idea-49ers-moving-jimmy-garoppolo

I know the quick rebuttal for the skeptic crowd would be "Well, what is he supposed to say???" But players can definitely make it clear in a slick PR manner their feelings on their QB situation. Just depends on the person. I remember Terrell Owens not endorsing Jeff Garcia when questioned when the losses piled up in 2003, and Michael Crabtree having some shady remarks when asked about Alex Smith circa 2011 lockout. Definitely weren't ringing endorsements. 

I think the quick response would actually be that he's a tight end and has no say in the matter, not so much doubting the sincerity. Guys love teammates who get traded or cut all the time. It's great he loves Jimmy. It just doesn't mean anything, as he acknowledges. 

If the team finds a player that offers them a better shot at winning, or decides that they love a rookie QB and have to have him, it's just not going to matter how kittle feels, and after it happens I think it's highly unlikely that kittle makes a stink. 

I've never doubted the brotherhood and the love that people have for Jimmy. They've been defending him at every turn.... For a couple years 😂... So if he means it, I'm not surprised, and that's great. You need that. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the quick response would be that he's a tight end and has no say in the matter. Guys love teammates who get traded or cut all the time. It's great he loves Jimmy. It just doesn't mean anything, as he acknowledges. 

Depends on if the front brass values locker room comradery or not. Definitely doesn't hurt. Better than a guy that the teammates don't have faith in. That would make the decision a little easier. As a former player, I'd like to think that John Lynch at least takes that into consideration instead of just purely financials. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Depends on if the front brass values locker room comradery or not. Definitely doesn't hurt. Better than a guy that the teammates don't have faith in. That would make the decision easier. As a former player, I'd like to think that John Lynch at least takes that into consideration instead of just purely financials. 

I just think it comes down to a better option. If they find one, whether that's a cheap rookie they love or a vet who is just better, he's gone. If they don't, they probably won't move him which is fine unless they tie themselves to him for longer. The flexibility is important. 

It's definitely better that people get along with him. He seems very well liked. I mean I'd rather that then diggs and cousins

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just think it comes down to a better option. If they find one, whether that's a cheap rookie they love or a vet who is just better, he's gone. If they don't, they probably won't move him which is fine unless they tie themselves to him for longer. The flexibility is important. 

It's definitely better that people get along with him. He seems very well liked. I mean I'd rather that then diggs and cousins

Yes. I'm not saying it's going to be a huge factor, but it can help or harm a situation like this depending on who it is. By all accounts Jimmy is extremely dedicated to his craft, and I'm guessing the majority in the locker room share Kittle's sentiment. Even if you're talented, at QB, you can find yourself ousted if you aren't liked by players and staff. Like Jeff George. 

That was the point of spotlighting Kittle's comments regardless if he isn't the triggerman on whether the team moves on or not. 

• Like 1

quoted from the other thread but it became a jimmy post

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

It's why I really don't like QBs with no athleticism lately. You need essentially perfect timing and adjustments. Good protection. The QB rarely can make things right that aren't. And with a pandemic still hanging around and weapons that at their best are in and out of the lineup. With a right side and center that will be vulnerable no matter what we do, someone that can right a couple of mistakes would be nice.

This is what separates the good from the great. 
It's honestly what Garoppolo did in 2017. Kyle probably simplified things a bit and Jimmy played mentally fast. He was a side stepping, side arming son of a gun who just made it all work to go get WINs. 

Since that time, he has only flashed that same ability for a handful of plays per game, and the farther and farther we get from 2017, less likely it feels that he fill find that same magic again. 

It feels like we are kind of stuck with him another year. Wilson seems like the only rookie we could draft where I would say we would legitimately have a shot at a ring in the first year. Fields will need time, lance is a complete unknown, and none of the other guys lower on the board will be ready in year one. 

Make no mistake about it though, Kyle will be evaluating things under a different lense than he was before. I think this year has humbled him to the point he realizes he really does need one of the top QBs to go beat some of these young QBs in the NFL these days. Like, he thought he would win superbowls with kirk cousins lol then he sees Reid have elite QB play AND elite scheme, and realizes how hard it is to win with the combination of defense+run game for extended periods of time because its really hard to keep the band together.  

This is the off-season of a hard look in the mirror. @John232 said it on the podcast and it really resonated with me. We have had some missteps organizationally in a few key ways. We have paid jimmy an absurd amount of money for the return we have gotten from it. He is scheduled to make a ton of money and the cap is supposed to go down from where we thought it would be when we inked the deal, and we are seeing guys like robbie gould take less money (who previously said the only way he wouldnt be in chicago would be if we were making him one of the highest paid guys) and guys like sherman/juice say/hint publicly that they know this is their last year. I think we have been having conversations about money with a lot of these guys for several months. I am hoping that we can convince jimmy to take a pay cut for next year to pay williams and warner, and then potentially restructure him -

all while looking for the next guy who we can develop into the next great qb. Someone who doesnt always just do exactly what kyle wants on every single play, but also makes the plays that are there to be made consistently. The right amount of game manager and gun slinger. Jimmy has somehow become the worst of both, hes a gun slinger who turns the ball over a lot but doesnt actually hit enough targets with his rifle to justify being called a gun slinger, meaning that he carries all the negative connotations of being a game manager, while turning the ball over. 

so, while I do think we keep jimmy for another year, I am fine with it at the right price, and reallllly hope I see the improvement in his footwork I was hoping to see this past offseason. Like, figure it the **** out dude. you are too inaccurate without setting your feet properly. Practice it until you cant walk and then practice it again lol your career is on the line. 

I am disappointed he wont play again this year, just because I wanted him to have a good game to build on this offseason, but next year will be a legit QB competition and I think Garoppolo needs to be pushed. He was too comfortable with mullens and CJ as his backups lol 

Okay, so let's take Shanny and Lynch at their words and Jimmy is our QB next year. How do you prefer to upgrade the back up QB situation and what moves help improve the offense? This was a top 7 offense in 2019, can it get to that level or even better next year? If so, how?