Jump to content

Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

We can make it work with a one year restructure with just a tiny bit of luck or good fortune, I think. 

185 Cap gives us 31-35 million. Restructure Jimmy but don't extend is 11 saved. 42-46. Richburg retires or cut cut, that saves between 3-5 (so there's a weird thing here on OTC and spotrac where they show different amounts...otc builds the restructure into prorated bonus...OTC looks correct that we will save closer to 5 as opposed to 3, and I think spotrac is wrong, but I'm jsut going to use the range). So now you have 45 - 51. Cut Dee gives you 6, but if you do the re-negotiation i mentioned on the podcast you save 10 and don't have to replace him. Now you're up to 51 - 61. 

Honestly, its kind of workable. Nzeocha likely gone at 1.6 (or extended). Guys like Brendel and Benjamin can likely go, that's another 2. 

Trickiest part will be having money in reserve for the injuries (also, all of these figures are rounded / estimates) 

Season 9 Friends GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Link to post
Share on other sites

This keeps being said but not convinced they move on from Jimmy. I mean if there is an upgrade, then sure. But are they getting someone like Stafford? Are they trading up for a QB? Doubt it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This keeps being said but not convinced they move on from Jimmy. I mean if there is an upgrade, then sure. But are they getting someone like Stafford? Are they trading up for a QB? Doubt it. 

Yeah, I read this a little bit ago. It's basically exactly what we have said and why we ask think he's here next year. Hell, even shanny has and all but admitted they would, if they find better

the only ones who really make sense are Stafford, who is probably too expensive, and Wentz, who I want nothing to do with and I don't know how the team would feel comfortable with as an upgrade in either health or play lol

To move on from Jimmy, you have to get better or cheaper. There aren't many truly "better" options, which means the most likely answer would cheaper. The only problem is that the draft is after FA. This team should definitely move up if only two QBs go on the top 6, but until we have a better idea on how that plays out, what teams are thinking of doing, etc, it's really too soon to speculate

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forge said:

I will continue to say what I've been saying for a while in that this is a marriage of convenience, not love

Convenience until next year, when Cousins is free and Kyle finally gets his guy? Imagine if Jimmy has a good but not great season, and we manage to get a second day pick for him... That would be a win for us. Not overly excited with Cousins, but he's probably better than Jimmy at this point. And we have to look at drafting a QB to develop this year or next. Just don't give Cousins a three years, fully guaranteed contract...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rudyZ said:

Convenience until next year, when Cousins is free and Kyle finally gets his guy? Imagine if Jimmy has a good but not great season, and we manage to get a second day pick for him... That would be a win for us. Not overly excited with Cousins, but he's probably better than Jimmy at this point. And we have to look at drafting a QB to develop this year or next. Just don't give Cousins a three years, fully guaranteed contract...

Cousins is under contract for 2 more years. Won't be a free agent until 2023. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forge said:

Cousins is under contract for 2 more years. Won't be a free agent until 2023. 

I thought he signed a 3 year deal 2 years ago... my bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I thought he signed a 3 year deal 2 years ago... my bad.

They extended him before this year for 2 more years. It's not a great contract. Basically fully guaranteed and the second year is like 35 million. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in on one of Wilson/Fields/Lance. What are the chances we get close to a top 10 pick next year if everyone is healthy. Furthermore, the cap savings from moving on from Jimmy G allows us to get an extra FA or two, to make up for any lost picks trading up for a QB. And furthermore, our team is pretty solid finding contributors with mid-late round picks and UDFA's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

They extended him before this year for 2 more years. It's not a great contract. Basically fully guaranteed and the second year is like 35 million. 

Yeah, I just looked it up. He'll count 45 million on their cap in 2022? Cousins' agent has to be the best agent in sports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Recently, I was thinking how great it was "back in the day" when Montana could be replaced with Bono, or Young....then Grbac in for Young when he couldn't go. The days of decent backup QBs seems to be gone. 

Salary cap plays a big part in that. Back-up QB money is still a lot for the good ones and unless you have a rookie starter you are usually better off spending that money outside of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 3:10 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Recently, I was thinking how great it was "back in the day" when Montana could be replaced with Bono, or Young....then Grbac in for Young when he couldn't go. The days of decent backup QBs seems to be gone. 

On the 49ers Montana could be replaced with Jeff Kemp or Matt Cavanaugh and the team still played well on offense. Pretty remarkable the operation they had. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...