Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

BTW, at this point he should be the front runner for Comeback Player of the Year. Tannehill and Cook are in the mix, but I think due to the success of the team compared to the previous season, Jimmy gets the shine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Too bad he couldn't get the 4K mark. He was close though. 

Blame Mostert for that... he couldn't get 40 yards on that 3rd and 17.... bum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

BTW, at this point he should be the front runner for Comeback Player of the Year. Tannehill and Cook are in the mix, but I think due to the success of the team compared to the previous season, Jimmy gets the shine. 

He has a couple of signature wins and great plays. He should win it, definitely. His season deserves recognition. I'm not sure pundits would have given it to him in the first half of the season, because they couldn't recognize what he did for this team (it was the defense, right?). But the injuries on defense really allowed Jimmy to shine. Good for him. Good for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy had one of the lowest depths of target, but played well when he did take shots down the field. That's pretty incredible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oldman9er said:

 

 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Jimmy had one of the lowest depths of target, but played well when he did take shots down the field. That's pretty incredible. 

It helps when most of those shots are wide the hell open due to double moves/scheming/expecting underneath stuff. I think the one that he hit against some form of close coverage that deep was the fluky one to Sanders in the Saints game when the defender fell over himself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JIllg said:

 

It helps when most of those shots are wide the hell open due to double moves/scheming/expecting underneath stuff. I think the one that he hit against some form of close coverage that deep was the fluky one to Sanders in the Saints game when the defender fell over himself.

Oh yeah. Not a stat in a vacuum, far as I'm concerned. I do think a bunch of Jimmy's GOOD has been a GOOD that Shanny creates. It would be a lousy QB that can't look pretty decent under a Shanny scheme. 

What seems to separate Jimmy from most QBs that would be lucky with Shanny? is that he so far comes through every time when most needed. He's not obsessed with his self-stats.. doesn't seem to get overwhelmed in big moments.. and he wins with a 

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611460185a9a47f777a5

Edited by oldman9er
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JIllg said:

I think the one that he hit against some form of close coverage that deep was the fluky one to Sanders in the Saints game when the defender fell over himself.

The one to Deebo against Baltimore looked pretty fluky.

The one to Sanders was reasonable. One on one, real deep, he knew Sanders would make a play on the ball. Imagine if he had hit him in stride, though. Of course, the longer you throw, the harder it is to gauge. But Jimmy's deep ball often looks a couple of yards short. Not complaining. It's working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

The one to Deebo against Baltimore looked pretty fluky.

The one to Sanders was reasonable. One on one, real deep, he knew Sanders would make a play on the ball. Imagine if he had hit him in stride, though. Of course, the longer you throw, the harder it is to gauge. But Jimmy's deep ball often looks a couple of yards short. Not complaining. It's working.

Me neither. I have enjoyed Jimmy's play. And his ability to just shake off mistakes, bad bounces, turnovers, tough game scripts and just make plays when they are needed is pretty great. I love the moxie. I love the mentality. But I think we'd all agree that what he is best at is making on-time anticipatory throws while looking off coverage in the short-to-intermediate middle of the field. He's great at that. In routes. Slants. Overs. Curl-In-Out Options. Stuff between five and twenty yards is his jam because he can rope those in there with practiced timing. Just about everything else has to be wide open or requires a defensive mistake because the ball tends to loop + is about three yards short. Which is fine. You can manufacture such defensive mistakes when your team can run the ball and pounds the middle of the field with the pass (and your playcaller is Kyle Shanahan). It just means that the downfield accuracy stat comes with serious asterisks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Me neither. I have enjoyed Jimmy's play. And his ability to just shake off mistakes, bad bounces, turnovers, tough game scripts and just make plays when they are needed is pretty great. I love the moxie. I love the mentality. But I think we'd all agree that what he is best at is making on-time anticipatory throws while looking off coverage in the short-to-intermediate middle of the field. He's great at that. In routes. Slants. Overs. Curl-In-Out Options. Stuff between five and twenty yards is his jam because he can rope those in there with practiced timing. Just about everything else has to be wide open or requires a defensive mistake because the ball tends to loop + is about three yards short. Which is fine. You can manufacture such defensive mistakes when your team can run the ball and pounds the middle of the field with the pass (and your playcaller is Kyle Shanahan). It just means that the downfield accuracy stat comes with serious asterisks. 

Anyway he can fix that? Just imagine him with atleast a decent deep ba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

Anyway he can fix that? Just imagine him with atleast a decent deep ba

I think that it's one of those things that we might have to live with. Brett Kollman had a video a couple of years ago that's still relevant (even more so early in the season when Jimmy trusted planting hard on his front leg less due to ACL recovery gingerness) that showed that Jimmy throws almost entirely with his core with very little hip follow through. It allows him to deal with a quick release from multiple arm angles and with trash around his plant feet relatively well. The downside is downfield accuracy and power. You can try and retool the guy's mechanics, but that's the sort of thing that you never know what you are going to get out of it. I'm reasonably happy with what we have. Better coached, more reasonably surrounded with players Tony Romo is a guy you can win with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that it's one of those things that we might have to live with. Brett Kollman had a video a couple of years ago that's still relevant (even more so early in the season when Jimmy trusted planting hard on his front leg less due to ACL recovery gingerness) that showed that Jimmy throws almost entirely with his core with very little hip follow through. It allows him to deal with a quick release from multiple arm angles and with trash around his plant feet relatively well. The downside is downfield accuracy and power. You can try and retool the guy's mechanics, but that's the sort of thing that you never know what you are going to get out of it. I'm reasonably happy with what we have. Better coached, more reasonably surrounded with players Tony Romo is a guy you can win with. 

If I'm being honest, his accuracy infuriates me at times. There's throws every game where I'm like if he could just delivered the ball in stride, that's another 10 yards or a TD. So I would definitely like to see him address his footwork. But its not to the point where I feel its a hindrance to the offense as a whole so I can live with it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dub_City30 said:

Anyway he can fix that? Just imagine him with atleast a decent deep ba

Ironically, you can't even complete a deep ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JIllg said:

I think that it's one of those things that we might have to live with. Brett Kollman had a video a couple of years ago that's still relevant (even more so early in the season when Jimmy trusted planting hard on his front leg less due to ACL recovery gingerness) that showed that Jimmy throws almost entirely with his core with very little hip follow through. It allows him to deal with a quick release from multiple arm angles and with trash around his plant feet relatively well. The downside is downfield accuracy and power. You can try and retool the guy's mechanics, but that's the sort of thing that you never know what you are going to get out of it. I'm reasonably happy with what we have. Better coached, more reasonably surrounded with players Tony Romo is a guy you can win with. 

That's the kind of thing QBs can sometimes get better at throughout their careers. Having a quicker delivery usually can't be changed later in a guy's career (if anything, that's a trait one has to have back in high school). We have the guy with the quick delivery who might be able to develop his longer throws some time down the road. I can live with that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...