Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean sure but who is going to want to pay him 27M anyways or whatever he is getting paid? 

The colts are paying Rivers 25 million and still have like 100M in space next year. His actual salary is 25 million which isn't prohibitive at all for a team to acquire, and none of it is guaranteed which means a team like Chicago can easily restructure to create space. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The colts are paying Rivers 25 million and still have like 100M in space next year. His actual salary is 25 million which isn't prohibitive at all for a team to acquire, and none of it is guaranteed which means a team like Chicago can easily restructure to create space. 

So Josh Mcdaniels and Jimmy G to Chicago then?

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So Josh Mcdaniels and Jimmy G to Chicago then?

I keep telling all Bears fans we are sending him there lol. 

But honestly, my guess is that Jimmy sticks here next year. I'm probably like 53 / 47  that he stays. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I keep telling all Bears fans we are sending him there lol. 

But honestly, my guess is that Jimmy sticks here next year. I'm probably like 53 / 47  that he stays. 

Yeah I'm starting to come around to the idea that he's probably back for another year. I want to say the ankle ruined him but then I look back at W1 where he was just terrible but again the whole let's not throw it to WR game plan wasn't great to start off with.

I love to somehow land Ryan/Wentz/Stafford but they have such big dead money hit that maybe it won't be till after the 2021 season that any of them is a realistic option.

Then again if we cut/trade Jimmy, that money could be used on some of our pending FA.

Lastly, this sucks...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah I'm starting to come around to the idea that he's probably back for another year. I want to say the ankle ruined him but then I look back at W1 where he was just terrible but again the whole let's not throw it to WR game plan wasn't great to start off with.

Yeah, it was a weird game in the smoke with no preseason etc, but the fact remains he made so many mental mistakes to go along with poor field awareness, bad footwork, and horrible accuracy. 

I would be willing to brush this off to the side as "one game in the smoke with no preseason" if he didnt make all of those exact mistakes basically in every other game this year outside of the jets and patriots games. 

The footwork is the thing for me. His footwork was bad last year at times but you thought, ok, first year back from an injury. Now that he had an entire offseason to work on pocket awareness and footwork? His footwork looks even worse than it did last year. The ankle injury isnt an excuse for this either, its just straight up bad.

Can anyone actually give me an area in which he actually improved from last year until now? Give me one single thing he improved upon. You cant. In the NFL you are either progressing or regressing and he has regressed to the point I dont think we will want to pay him the amount of money he is scheduled to make.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Can anyone actually give me an area in which he actually improved from last year until now? Give me one single thing he improved upon. You cant. In the NFL you are either progressing or regressing and he has regressed to the point I dont think we will want to pay him the amount of money he is scheduled to make.

He's really only played a 1 1/2 games this year healthy though. Enough to fairly judge him. The rest has just been a cluster fudge. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He's really only played a 1 1/2 games this year healthy though. Enough to fairly judge him. The rest has just been a cluster fudge. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

The footwork is the thing for me. His footwork was bad last year at times but you thought, ok, first year back from an injury. Now that he had an entire offseason to work on pocket awareness and footwork? His footwork looks even worse than it did last year. The ankle injury isnt an excuse for this either, its just straight up bad.

No one said **** about the ankle after the Patriots game. His footwork was even sloppy in that game (at times), and that was the best game of his season 

People want to give him a pass for the Seattle game the following week because of "the injury" when in reality he was straight up garbage against the worst pass defense in NFL history and was healthy . 

Let me say that again, he was healthy until he got hurt again. Before he got hurt? He was horrible. Really no excuse for it other than to say he was just bad 

As I said before, I would be more inclined to give him a pass if he didn't have all of these same issues last year, and if any of these issues were actually due to the physical injury. The bad plays are 100% mental with him. He clearly wasn't ready against Miami, so he gets a pass on that game in a lot of respects, but not for the whole season. 

Not sure how much actual film review you do, but I have watched a ton of coaches film this year in preparation of the podcast @Forge and I are doing this year. It's hard to see on the broadcast sometimes, but he is constantly missing open guys. Not missing as in being inaccurate, which happens basically whenever he doesn't plant his feet properly (doesn't even try, not like he tries but can't because he's hurt, it's a bad habit and his feet are all wrong and the ball is inaccurate), but missing as in he's not seeing them. 

He's not going through his reads, he's not manipulating defenders with his eyes, and he's not doing things like throwing downfeild/beyond the sticks on third down. 

Essentially, he has not been mentally sharp this year except for against the Patriots. That was the only time we saw him play like he had something to prove. We play 16 games in a calendar year, there is ZERO excuse for not being mentally prepared more than 1-2 times in that span. If you don't have elite physical traits, and you aren't showing up mentally, then wtf do you have going for you? Seems like the best thing Jimmy does is play within the system. There aren't many times he has actually done anything this year that elevated that system. 

MM put it very well here 

I keep saying it, but I see a 5% chance we pay him 25m, and 5% is probably generous 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

No one said **** about the ankle after the Patriots game. His footwork was even sloppy in that game (at times), and that was the best game of his season 

People want to give him a pass for the Seattle game the following week because of "the injury" when in reality he was straight up garbage against the worst pass defense in NFL history and was healthy . 

Let me say that again, he was healthy until he got hurt again. Before he got hurt? He was horrible. Really no excuse for it other than to say he was just bad 

As I said before, I would be more inclined to give him a pass if he didn't have all of these same issues last year, and if any of these issues were actually due to the physical injury. The bad plays are 100% mental with him. He clearly wasn't ready against Miami, so he gets a pass on that game in a lot of respects, but not for the whole season. 

Not sure how much actual film review you do, but I have watched a ton of coaches film this year in preparation of the podcast @Forge and I are doing this year. It's hard to see on the broadcast sometimes, but he is constantly missing open guys. Not missing as in being inaccurate, which happens basically whenever he doesn't plant his feet properly (doesn't even try, not like he tries but can't because he's hurt, it's a bad habit and his feet are all wrong and the ball is inaccurate), but missing as in he's not seeing them. 

He's not going through his reads, he's not manipulating defenders with his eyes, and he's not doing things like throwing downfeild/beyond the sticks on third down. 

Essentially, he has not been mentally sharp this year except for against the Patriots. That was the only time we saw him play like he had something to prove. We play 16 games in a calendar year, there is ZERO excuse for not being mentally prepared more than 1-2 times in that span. If you don't have elite physical traits, and you aren't showing up mentally, then wtf do you have going for you? Seems like the best thing Jimmy does is play within the system. There aren't many times he has actually done anything this year that elevated that system. 

MM put it very well here 

I keep saying it, but I see a 5% chance we pay him 25m, and 5% is probably generous 

It's funny reading this rant and then hearing Shanahan come out and say he expects Jimmy to be the starter next year. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

11 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

It's funny reading this rant and then hearing Shanahan come out and say he expects Jimmy to be the starter next year. :)

He’s saying it to drive up his value. You don’t want to come out and say we are going to move on and expect to get something in return when the team is “practically” done with Jimmy services. At least that’s my take.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, StevenK said:

He’s saying it to drive up his value. You don’t want to come out and say we are going to move on and expect to get something in return when the team is “practically” done with Jimmy services. At least that’s my take.

4D chess? Maybe. Shanahan is the one guy in recent memory to me that doesn't seem to adhere to mind games like that though. After watching a lot of his pressers he seems pretty upfront with practically anything he says. 

41 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, but he didn't have to say that in the first place either. 

What would you have him say?

"Yeah, we don't think he really has a future here and our intention is to cut him when the new league year rolls around"?