Jimmy Garoppolo Appreciation Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

It seems apparent to me that Jimmy is much more than a mere 'game manager'. Nice to see others recognize it as well.

I like the point the guy in oldie's video makes. Who cares if he IS a game manager? Half the league would take a great game manager like that. 

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And we paid the price of a 2nd round pick? I like that. I like that a lot. 

everyone thought we overpaid him, which we did for last year giving him 35 million. This year he is making 19 million and will make 25m for the remaining years on his deal. I would say that is a good deal for us.

I expect him to get restructured this offseason too. He has no signing bonus right now. I expect we will give him one to create space to sign kittle, sanders, buckner to deals

• Like 3

The problem with calling him a game manager is he's pretty much the opposite with his risk taking style. He's prone to take a lot more risks than the usual game managers and he doesn't prioritize taking care of the ball as much as a game manager would.

He's more of a gun slinger who get limited passing opportunities a game due to our playing style. Of course, a gun slinger goes deep more which he hasn't this season.

I don't know, but he's not really a game manager by playing style.....like at all. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, oldman9er said:

... always thought the "game manager" designation was lame AF fantasy football based.

.. still do.

A good QB should know when to tone it down and go with what's working. Jimmy gets it. 

#teamgame

Ask any Hall of Fame QB if they'd trade in a few 300+ yards 3+TDs games for a few more "managed" wins, and I'm sure they'd jump on it. Wins come first, stats come far behind.

Who's happier (in terms of football career), right now: Troy Aikman or Dan Marino?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you have the playmaking that I see from guys like Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph, Mike Thomas, even what Jared Cook has been showing...

When you have targets like these that can find another gear or level of vertical to haul in passes... you have a lot of "on-targets". Other than Kittle.. and a maybe-we'll-see of Deebo.. we just don't measure up on true playmakers in the pass game. (no offense to Manny Sanders, who is elite at route running and craftiness)

... that's just my initial thought on the above, @y2lamanaki ... 

edit: not even to mention the amount of short area checkdowns that Brees and probably Kirk throw.

Edited by oldman9er

4 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

When you have the playmaking that I see from guys like Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph, Mike Thomas, even what Jared Cook has been showing...

When you have targets like these that can find another gear or level of vertical to haul in passes... you have a lot of "on-targets". Other than Kittle.. and a maybe-we'll-see of Deebo.. we just don't measure up on true playmakers in the pass game. (no offense to Manny Sanders, who is elite at route running and craftiness)

... that's just my initial thought on the above, @y2lamanaki ... 

edit: not even to mention the amount of short area checkdowns that Brees and probably Kirk throw.

Did you click through? Jimmy ranks 5th in this metric. I think that is impressive enough, especially given that he has the most attempts of anyone top 5. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Did you click through? Jimmy ranks 5th in this metric. I think that is impressive enough, especially given that he has the most attempts of anyone top 5. 

I didn't.. but my point wasn't really to thoroughly dismiss the read. It was just a thought that in some cases, I think certain things can be misleading. 

Thinking is rarely my best asset, so as usual, take it for what it is worth. :P 

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

I didn't.. but my point wasn't really to thoroughly dismiss the read. It was just a thought that in some cases, I think certain things can be misleading. 

Thinking is rarely my best asset, so as usual, take it for what it is worth. :P 

Nah, I agree with you and your points. All statistics are just indicators. Sometimes they indicate truth. Sometimes fiction. But it's generally a good thing to lead in a lot of the positive ones.