Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

Whoever we take at 33, there is a good chance it will be a guy that people are saying "he won't be there" right now.  Most likely I think it will be an OT or a WR.  There will also be some surprise 1st rd picks, there always is, guys everyone has slated for day 2 or even day 3 sometimes.

30 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Whoever we take at 33, there is a good chance it will be a guy that people are saying "he won't be there" right now.  Most likely I think it will be an OT or a WR.  There will also be some surprise 1st rd picks, there always is, guys everyone has slated for day 2 or even day 3 sometimes.

Or they'll take a guy everyone thinks could have been available in round 4 or 5.

#Sample

• Like 1

Just now, theJ said:

Or they'll take a guy everyone thinks could have been available in round 4 or 5.

#Sample

They may have missed on Sample, but people seem to be ok with how they "reached" for Tyler Boyd and Jessie Bates.  Sometimes you miss.  Thinking that every pick after that is going to miss too is just hyperbolic pessimism.  They whiffed on Ced and Fisher too, it doesn't mean Jonah is doomed and we should avoid drafting oline now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

They may have missed on Sample, but people seem to be ok with how they "reached" for Tyler Boyd and Jessie Bates.  Sometimes you miss.  Thinking that every pick after that is going to miss too is just hyperbolic pessimism.  They whiffed on Ced and Fisher too, it doesn't mean Jonah is doomed and we should avoid drafting oline now.

Oh that's not what i'm saying.  Just that they're just as likely to reach for a guy as grab a falling 1st rounder.  As you pointed out, they have a history of doing so.

They've been mostly hitting on 2nd rounders for a long time now, so i'm not about to doubt their ability to select someone there.

I haven't given up on Sample either.  TE's notoriously take time to adjust to the league.  With Eifert likely gone this year, he'll get more PT.  We'll see if they whiffed or not this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

This time of year there are about 50 players labeled as first rounders by someone. When the day comes there are only 32 so the Bengals will have plenty of good players to choose from at pick 33. 

The senior bowl is always bad about this too.  I've probably heard about a dozen guys "moving themselves into rd 1 with a good senior bowl week" already.  Maybe 2-3 actually change their stock that much.

Geno Atkins was a monster senior bowl week and we still got him in round 4.  Turns out that hype was absolutely real, haha, but I don't think the hype moves boards as much as draft twitter seems to think.

Edited by THE DUKE
example

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Boyd was a bit of a reach, but we were desperate for receivers that year and he was the last good WR prospect who could contribute immediately. Bates I don't recall being much of a reach, more of a surprise considering Iloka and Williams were on the roster. Plus, once you got to know him as a prospect, it was exciting to add a rangy ball-hawk.

Sample, on the other hand, was as bleh a of a prospect as you could muster. He could have been had at least a round later, maybe even two.

After listening to Tobins comments on various topics I’ve come to the following conclusions:

- The Bengals will not be huge players in free agency, will sign a couple mid level players

- Dalton will be the only player traded/released

- The offensive line won’t see a ton of new bodies added, they seem to like the guys they’ve picked up on waivers

- After Burrow, it’s gonna be pretty much all defense and a wide receiver

- Mixon and William Jackson are gonna get contract extensions this year with all the money they have to spend. 

- I think they trade out of #33 to try and get more picks in the draft, maybe do so with other picks as well. 

22 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

After listening to Tobins comments on various topics I’ve come to the following conclusions:

- The Bengals will not be huge players in free agency, will sign a couple mid level players

- Dalton will be the only player traded/released

- The offensive line won’t see a ton of new bodies added, they seem to like the guys they’ve picked up on waivers

- After Burrow, it’s gonna be pretty much all defense and a wide receiver

- Mixon and William Jackson are gonna get contract extensions this year with all the money they have to spend. 

- I think they trade out of #33 to try and get more picks in the draft, maybe do so with other picks as well. 

I hope those are the only two that come true.