Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I don't believe he'd do that anyway.  And in any case, the Bengals aren't as bad as their record indicates.  They've played a lot of close games, have a brutal schedule (toughest in the NFL if i'm looking at the right column) and are perhaps lucky to some extent they don't have 4-5 wins.

The QB that leads this offense next year will have AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross, Auden Tate, and Joe Mixon as weapons around him.  Several coaches who have been QB coaches in previous lives, and a city that won't toss him out after 8 games if he's not Mahomes.  I mean, it took about 3-4 years before some people were sick of Andy Dalton, and probably 6-7 years for the entirety of the fan base to turn against him.

I actually think this is a pretty good landing spot for Burrow, all things considered.

If we can get a FA OT and draft a LG at 33, then this could be an ideal offense to land in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

Then Mike Brown will let him rot for years on an reserved/inactive list, and he'll maybe never play football.

Someday people will learn not to hold out on Mike Brown.  The most stubborn man alive.

What if he plays on his rookie deal, but never signs an extension, and tries to bolt. Especially if he's having success? What if pulls a Cousins? I wonder if Mike Brown would just franchise tag him forever. 

24 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

What if he plays on his rookie deal, but never signs an extension, and tries to bolt. Especially if he's having success? What if pulls a Cousins? I wonder if Mike Brown would just franchise tag him forever. 

I don't think i can really worry about that at this point, lol.

Plus, resigning guys in Cincinnati has never really been a problem.  They pretty much resign everyone they want to.  It's the outside guys they can't seem (or don't want) to attract.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

What if all the 49ers DL decides to leave San Fran and come to Cincy?  Why ask more "what if" questions than a ten year old 

7 hours ago, theJ said:

I don't believe he'd do that anyway.  And in any case, the Bengals aren't as bad as their record indicates.  They've played a lot of close games, have a brutal schedule (toughest in the NFL if i'm looking at the right column) and are perhaps lucky to some extent they don't have 4-5 wins.

The QB that leads this offense next year will have AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross, Auden Tate, and Joe Mixon as weapons around him.  Several coaches who have been QB coaches in previous lives, and a city that won't toss him out after 8 games if he's not Mahomes.  I mean, it took about 3-4 years before some people were sick of Andy Dalton, and probably 6-7 years for the entirety of the fan base to turn against him.

I actually think this is a pretty good landing spot for Burrow, all things considered.

I doubt any top prospect looks forward to Cincinnati. Their agent will warn them of all the differences between the Bengal way and normal teams. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I doubt any top prospect looks forward to Cincinnati. Their agent will warn them of all the differences between the Bengal way and normal teams. 

I doubt they look forward to it, but somehow they usually end up retaining the guys they draft.  And how many guys have pulled an Eli?  It's a small list.

It really shouldn't be a concern.

I'm not worried about Burrow or any other draft pick pulling a Bo Jackson and sitting out the year. I am worried about being able to sign decent free agents who actually have options. If this franchise is limited to the draft and waivers as means of acquiring new players, we're doomed to years of bad records. That's because we don't have any special ability to outdraft other teams. Indeed, we may be below par at drafting. 

• Like 1