Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Doesn't sound like Joe will be at the Senior Bowl.

That's fine.  He has nothing to prove, and the team doesn't need to see anything else.  

This might even give the team a chance to evaluate some of the lower round talent.  I'm not sure if they're considering it, but they really should think about replacing Ryan Finley.  I wouldn't usually say a guy should be shuttled out after one year, but he was so bad that i'm not sure he can be saved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's fine.  He has nothing to prove, and the team doesn't need to see anything else.  

This might even give the team a chance to evaluate some of the lower round talent.  I'm not sure if they're considering it, but they really should think about replacing Ryan Finley.  I wouldn't usually say a guy should be shuttled out after one year, but he was so bad that i'm not sure he can be saved.

I'd rather bring in a vet to mentor him, but looking at the list of FAs there are slim pickings. I hate to say it because it won't happen, it's not worth the price, and he deserves better, but bringing Dalton back for a year to show Joe the ropes would be perfect.

42 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'd rather bring in a vet to mentor him, but looking at the list of FAs there are slim pickings. I hate to say it because it won't happen, it's not worth the price, and he deserves better, but bringing Dalton back for a year to show Joe the ropes would be perfect.

Yes, yes it would.

It would really PO some people, but if they can't find a trade partner for Dalton, i'd plan to keep him and use him as a mentor/backup.  Maybe an injury comes up in training camp or something so they can trade him.

I know the price tag is high, but they've got money.  And can you really put a price tag on making sure your baby faced QB gets the right leadership at the beginning of his career?

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yes, yes it would.

It would really PO some people, but if they can't find a trade partner for Dalton, i'd plan to keep him and use him as a mentor/backup.  Maybe an injury comes up in training camp or something so they can trade him.

I know the price tag is high, but they've got money.  And can you really put a price tag on making sure your baby faced QB gets the right leadership at the beginning of his career?

I'm not opposed to it, Andy is a solid guy and would play the role,  but I don't know that a vet mentor is needed.  His qb coach was in the league not long ago. 

Also,  Burrow isn't from Ohio.  He graduated from Athens and claims it, but didn't move there until he was around 10 when his dad took a job there, but he wasn't born and raised here.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

My God you are being insufferable lately.  So we should pass on drafting him because he drives past Skyline?  Yup causation=/= correlation.

And continuing to suggest that Burrow would tell Brown to not draft him is disingenuous at best. 

No, the Bengals should certainly draft Burrow. But they should also do everything they can to make sure he and the team are successful. That would require a major change of mindset by MB, and isn't likely. We've already failed at the coaching upgrade step. Free agency is next, let's see if we sign at least 1 top tier O-linemen with recent pro bowl credentials. Not holding my breath for that. If the Bengals plan is to sit tight on offense, Burrow would be entirely justified in telling the team not to draft him. We need to do more than simply swap out QBs.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

There are lots of QBs available this year. We aren't going to sign a high priced vet but can certainly get a backup with prior starting experience. Think Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Josh McCown, etc. We can sign one of them for 5 mil and cut Dalton. That saves 12.7 mil which could be used for someone like Conklin or Scherff.

39 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

No, the Bengals should certainly draft Burrow. But they should also do everything they can to make sure he and the team are successful. That would require a major change of mindset by MB, and isn't likely. We've already failed at the coaching upgrade step. Free agency is next, let's see if we sign at least 1 top tier O-linemen with recent pro bowl credentials. Not holding my breath for that. If the Bengals plan is to sit tight on offense, Burrow would be entirely justified in telling the team not to draft him. We need to do more than simply swap out QBs.

We don't know if the coaching hire was a failure, unless you think one year is all it takes or any candidate should get.  Bill Walsh was 1-15 (or 1-13, can't remember how many games they played a year in 1979).  Was he a failure?  History suggests that he wasn't, and I'm putting it as kindly as I can.  Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 Aikman's rookie year.  Pretty sure he got better too, to the point that both made the hall of Fame after multiple Super Bowl wins.  Need more?  Chuck Noll was 1-13 his rookie coaching year in 1969.  There.  Three of the bluest blood coaches tat the NFL has had in the last 50 years.  Each won a single game their rookie year.  (Coincidentally, each did it in a year ending in 9, but I digress).

If you want to judge everything on one season, in a rebuilding year, you would be far happier rooting for the Browns, as you would get your wish quite often.

As for a free agent lineman, it ain't happening, so using this as your free agency indicator of success is quite convenient, given your assessment of the current situation and your knowledge of Brown's past actions.    Personally, I want a free agent LB or TWO, so we don't have to take one early in the draft.  That' would be a success for me.  maybe a really good safety too.  Point is, it doesn't matter which holes they fill in fre agency, as long as they fill a few of them without letting our own key guys get away and create more holes.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

1. Joe Burrow [QB - LSU]

33. Patrick Queen [LB - LSU]

I like the idea of doubling down on two LSU players coming off a championship. Both are talented, leaders, and proven winners. They could be the foundation pieces on each side of the ball for a new generation of Bengals that desperately need to a winning/championship mentality.