Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

We don't know if the coaching hire was a failure, unless you think one year is all it takes or any candidate should get.  Bill Walsh was 1-15 (or 1-13, can't remember how many games they played a year in 1979).  Was he a failure?  History suggests that he wasn't, and I'm putting it as kindly as I can.  Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 Aikman's rookie year.  Pretty sure he got better too, to the point that both made the hall of Fame after multiple Super Bowl wins.  Need more?  Chuck Noll was 1-13 his rookie coaching year in 1969.  There.  Three of the bluest blood coaches tat the NFL has had in the last 50 years.  Each won a single game their rookie year.  (Coincidentally, each did it in a year ending in 9, but I digress).

If you want to judge everything on one season, in a rebuilding year, you would be far happier rooting for the Browns, as you would get your wish quite often.

As for a free agent lineman, it ain't happening, so using this as your free agency indicator of success is quite convenient, given your assessment of the current situation and your knowledge of Brown's past actions.    Personally, I want a free agent LB or TWO, so we don't have to take one early in the draft.  That' would be a success for me.  maybe a really good safety too.  Point is, it doesn't matter which holes they fill in fre agency, as long as they fill a few of them without letting our own key guys get away and create more holes.

You keep reciting the same argument about some good coaches who had bad starts. But Hue Jackson followed up his 1-15 season with 0-16. Walsh actually won 2 games in 1979, which matched the win total from the prior year. The Steelers won 2 games the year before Noll became coach. the Cowboys won 3 games the year before Johnson arrived and started a rookie QB.  Taylor on the other hand took over a 6-10 team, claimed we weren't rebuilding but proceeded to suck with a 2-14 finish. Comparing Taylor to Walsh and Johnson is an insult to them, they were far more accomplished when they took over their teams than Taylor was. Mike Sherman probably has other sons in law. Should we hire them too to fill our vacancies?

Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist but I don't rule out signing a good free agent O-lineman. It's not hard to find upgrades from Miller and Hart and there's no reason to get Burrow killed.

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

You keep reciting the same argument about some good coaches who had bad starts. But Hue Jackson followed up his 1-15 season with 0-16. Walsh actually won 2 games in 1979, which matched the win total from the prior year. The Steelers won 2 games the year before Noll became coach. the Cowboys won 3 games the year before Johnson arrived and started a rookie QB.  Taylor on the other hand took over a 6-10 team, claimed we weren't rebuilding but proceeded to suck with a 2-14 finish. Comparing Taylor to Walsh and Johnson is an insult to them, they were far more accomplished when they took over their teams than Taylor was. Mike Sherman probably has other sons in law. Should we hire them too to fill our vacancies?

Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist but I don't rule out signing a good free agent O-lineman. It's not hard to find upgrades from Miller and Hart and there's no reason to get Burrow killed.

The point about them isn't to directly compare them.  The point is that if those teams shared your level of patience, none of those coaches lead their franchises to the promised land.  And without them, those teams may have never reached it.  

The narrative about taking over a 6-10 team and making it worse is silly.  i don't care what Taylor said publicly.  this team is in a rebuild.  Brown insisted he say that to sell tickets.  Just like Brown made him publicly stand by Dalton.  Finley, as bad as he was, is far more likely to be here next year than dalton.  Saying something your boss makes you say publicly is no proof that it is what they feel inside.  

Edit:  Hue Jackson went tl Cleveland.  The present day Cleveland.  Are you comparing the present day Cleveland front office to the successful franchises in Pitt, Miami and dallas, with 9 Super Bowl wins, (plus a few losses in there)?  Talk about insulting.

Edited by INbengalfan

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I love Skyline  But here’;s the thing. After Bengals games, i meet my family at LaRosa’s pizza if they win, but Skyline if they lose (mostly for the speed of service, as we don’t want to sit around and dwell on a loss). This is due to all of us going to the games, but not sitting together.

So if Burrow feels that strongly about it, then he can sway me by winning all of the time. I’ll never eat there again.

And for the record, I’d be far more concerned if he dissed on the Burrito Buggy from Athens. My Ohio U friends swear by the thing (it’s good, I tried it going to an OU game with friends before) and it’s an Athens thing, not just campus.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I like the idea of doubling down on two LSU players coming off a championship. Both are talented, leaders, and proven winners. They could be the foundation pieces on each side of the ball for a new generation of Bengals that desperately need to a winning/championship mentality.

I posted the idea first 😉

I saw the titles of a few shows today where there were people saying that Burrow should refuse to go to the Bengals.  Why is this?  I wasn't able to watch a lot of it.  Isn't Burrow the no-brainer pick?  Why would Burrow not want to play there?

Apparently they have one of the worst owners or GMs?  Mark Schlereth said he should force a trade because they'll never win anything and he said it was because of Mike Brown.

39 minutes ago, showtime said:

I saw the titles of a few shows today where there were people saying that Burrow should refuse to go to the Bengals.  Why is this?  I wasn't able to watch a lot of it.  Isn't Burrow the no-brainer pick?  Why would Burrow not want to play there?

Apparently they have one of the worst owners or GMs?  Mark Schlereth said he should force a trade because they'll never win anything and he said it was because of Mike Brown.

Big market Sports entitlement is real.  screw em all.  After years of supporting this team, I deserve it .  Let some of these talking heads say it directly to my face

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Big market Sports entitlement is real.  screw em all.  After years of supporting this team, I deserve it .  Let some of these talking heads say it directly to my face

Highly doubt it has anything to do with the market.  Nobody said anything last year when the Cardinals were going to draft Kyler Murray or a few years ago when Tampa Bay and Tennessee had the first two picks and were going to draft QBs (Winston and Mariota).  This was specifically towards the Bengals, not Ohio or the city of Cincinnati.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Highly doubt it has anything to do with the market.  Nobody said anything last year when the Cardinals were going to draft Kyler Murray or a few years ago when Tampa Bay and Tennessee had the first two picks and were going to draft QBs (Winston and Mariota).  This was specifically towards the Bengals, not Ohio or the city of Cincinnati.

There's a bit of the bias against smaller markets.  Bengals get treated as if they are perennial doormats but this was there first truly bad season since Carson Palmer was the qb.  

People 100% said those same things about Tampa.  It's all talking head bs trying to get clicks or views. Burrow looks like a star,  so they want to talk about him and envision him on an important team. 

Mike Brown is what he would call old school.  He thinks things should be done the way they were when his dad coached.  It's a hindrance to comparing in modern football 

9 hours ago, showtime said:

So how about the league force the Browns out of ownership instead.  fans have supported thi9s team for half a century.  We deserve better,  We also deserve better than having to hear talk show blowhards talk like this.  We earned the right to draft #1 after sitting through 2-14.

6 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Whatever man.

He had some extremely hot takes at the end, but this group is rather small to begin with.  He was like middle brother of three.  Sometimes he said things just to get noticed and remind his parents that he does indeed still exist in the house.

10 hours ago, showtime said:

It'd be a dumb move for Burrow.

Mike Brown would take him anyway and make him sit.  It wouldn't end well for Burrow or the Bengals.

23 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

So how about the league force the Browns out of ownership instead.  fans have supported thi9s team for half a century.  We deserve better,  We also deserve better than having to hear talk show blowhards talk like this.  We earned the right to draft #1 after sitting through 2-14.

I don't watch those guys. Pretty easy to ignore. Also,  if Mike Brown sells the team,  our former forum member will look prophetic. Meaning, Bengals would be moved to London.

ESPN is all about "hot takes" and "click bait".  Unless it's live sports, I don't even watch that network anymore because of things like the awful commentary like a player should refuse to play for a team because they aren't good.  I watched some of the pre-game show before the national championship and it was just cringe worthy.

• Like 1