Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I understand it very well. I never specified the combine. The Bengals medical staff evaluated his shoulder and thought it wasn’t something that needed repairing. It looks like they were wrong, but that has nothing to do with Zac.

Wasn't it the other shoulder?

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Can't possibly imagine Bengals trading out but I do foresee a ridiculous aggressive trade offer coming from Carolina before the draft. Joe Brady + Burrow just makes so much sense.

I'd rather have Burrow over Tua, even if it means Tua came with another top 10 pick.  I just think that Burrow projects better as a pro and displays some rare intangibles you can only find in a handful of QB's.  Stuff that can't be coached, like the ability to avoid a rush and keep his eyes downfield.  He climbs and navigates the pocket better than most pros short of maybe Tom Brady.  Also his statistics against the rush are otherworldly.  If those two things translate, he's going to be great.

Still, that must have taken a little bit of time to put together.  It was fun to read through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Can't possibly imagine Bengals trading out but I do foresee a ridiculous aggressive trade offer coming from Carolina before the draft. Joe Brady + Burrow just makes so much sense.

While it never happens, I'd be even more furious if Simmons was there with the second pick and we passed on him.

I jokingly said on Twitter that if the Chiefs want to trade Mahomes for Burrow, then sure, and some yahoo took me serious.  The point stands though, that it really doesn't matter how many picks get offered.  If you don't have a franchise QB, you don't trade away the chance to get one unless you are getting a young controlled franchise QB back.  It could be 10 first round picks, you still say no if you aren't guaranteed a franchise QB (or at least at what you think is one).

Passing on Burrow in any capacity will be the breaking point for me and probably the rest of the fanbase. I would literally denounce my fandom and follow another team. I have no connections to Cincinnati, so it's not like I have some demographic or family ties to remain loyal. 

Jimmy Burrow, the father of the Heisman Trophy winner, told Montreal's TSN 690 radio on Thursday that his son has no qualms about wearing orange and black if the Bengals take Joe with the top overall pick in the NFL draft.

"He's excited to even be in that conversation and if the Bengals do draft him, he's going to be happy," Jimmy Burrow told the Canadian radio affiliate.

"He'll look at it as a challenge," Jimmy Burrow said. "But he'll be confident that eventually they can win a lot of games there in Cincinnati."

This puts me at ease, though.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28499580/joe-burrow-dad-says-qb-happy-challenge-bengals

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

If the Bengals play this offseason right (willing to make 2 significant FA signings to sure up IOL and LB, bring back a 100% healthy AJ Green, hit on rd 1-4 draft picks (all top 100 picks)) there is no reason they can't be a playoff team in 2020 if Burrow is even close to what we hope he is.  It's not like Burrow is a raw 21 year old with upside coming in, he's already showing a lot of the skills you hope QB's learn as they progress, the only question is how well they translate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't think trading out of one for a haul of picks is bad in general,  but it would be a mistake in this situation as they need to re-engage the fan base.  We're in year 4 of a rebuild that hasn't started until now and quite honestly,  this team needs to get some buzz. 

I would be shocked if we got anything above a 4 for Dalton. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Passing on Burrow in any capacity will be the breaking point for me and probably the rest of the fanbase. I would literally denounce my fandom and follow another team. I have no connections to Cincinnati, so it's not like I have some demographic or family ties to remain loyal. 

I can't quite go this far....BUT, I would be about the most pissed I have been ever.

I have loved this team forever, had season tickets for 13 years. I finally gave up on that a few years ago.

I could never follow another team..I would just give up

24 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I can't quite go this far....BUT, I would be about the most pissed I have been ever.

I have loved this team forever, had season tickets for 13 years. I finally gave up on that a few years ago.

I could never follow another team..I would just give up

That's about where i'm at.  I'd still be a Bengals fan, but i'd be as unengaged as I've been since I was 5 years old

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fluhartz said:
48 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That's about where i'm at.  I'd still be a Bengals fan, but i'd be as unengaged as I've been since I was 5 years old

yeah.. that's actually what I meant by giving up

This is where i've been for about 2 years.  I still post here, and support the Bengals media (The Athletic, mostly).  But i haven't supported the NFL or the team for a while by buying Sunday Ticket or even GamePass.

Joe may change that.  I might buy GamePass this year.

• Like 1

Yes I do know it’s 97% unlikely. Only chance is if Burrow pulls an Eli. His dad says he won’t but it’s way to early to know. Besides the Chargers (Eli and multiple players) the only other team I could see someone refusing to play for is the Bengals. Mike Brown has been notorious for not caring about winning and selling tickets/running the Bengals purely as a business. He wants a winning product for the business to be successful and get revenue every year. But winning a title? I really don’t think he cares. Same thing in Houston with Bob McNair. He keeps Bob around because he puts out a product that sells tickets/merchandise. Even though Bob is one of the worst coaches in the league. 

Bengals OL is in shambles and Mike Brown is famous for not spending money in FA. Even with Jonah back I don’t trust that line and it could ruin Burrows career from the get go. I just don’t see Mike Brown putting Burrow in a position to succeed. 

Edited by BayRaider