Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

9 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I just ran this one.  Hope it makes you feel better! 

1 Joe Burrow, QB
33 Mekhi Becton, OT
65 Thaddeus Moss, TE
97 Devin Duvernay, WR
129 Jordan Fuller, S
160 Justin Strnad, LB
192 Calvin Throckmorton, OT

I like it.  I just did one too, and included trading back and trading Andy for a mid 2 (maybe unrealistic, but whatever)

1.  Burrow

2a Jefferson (traded back 6 spots, picked up a third)

2b.  Antoine Winfield Jr 

3a  Isaiah Wilson

3b (from trade back in 2)  Denzel Mims

4.  Moss

I attacked it with the premise that we actually re-signed out key guys, plus grabbing two starting LBs in free agency to get that off of a need from the first two days.  We can go get one in the fifth or later to fill in the roster

15 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

I don’t know why everyone says player X should refuse to play for this team because they’re bad. How was Indy before Peyton? How was NE before Brady? How was Denver before Elway? Miami before and since Marino? If a guy can is truly elite, he shouldn’t run from a challenge. He should want to be the reason that team has a history. Sure the Bengals have largely been bad my entire life. But we have won before. We can win again. 

The vitriol coming from Disney is unreal.  Like libel level unreal.  

But Mike Brown should also be listening.  They are calling HIM out, not the players, not the coaches.  If anything, instead of digging in his heals and satying his present course, he should resolve to make them shut the h3ll up and make some moves in free agency, then again in the draft.  I get that Stephen A Smith is a loudmouth, but he's also a Steeler fan.  Probably pooping himself knowing that we will have Burrow, the Ravens have Jackson, and the Browns have Mayfield, while they have a guy named Duck,  a horrid backup in Rudolph, and no first round pick after the Fitzpatrick trade.  ESPN directs the news narratives, and honestly, it's beyond out of control.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I like it.  I just did one too, and included trading back and trading Andy for a mid 2 (maybe unrealistic, but whatever)

1.  Burrow

2a Jefferson (traded back 6 spots, picked up a third)

2b.  Antoine Winfield Jr 

3a  Isaiah Wilson

3b (from trade back in 2)  Denzel Mims

4.  Moss

I attacked it with the premise that we actually re-signed out key guys, plus grabbing two starting LBs in free agency to get that off of a need from the first two days.  We can go get one in the fifth or later to fill in the roster

I'd be happy to get a 4th for Andy, I'd take a 7th.

I think we need one starting coverage backer.  Someone to go with Pratt.  There are few downs that 3 will be on the field.

Pretty much standard team-speak and what to expect at this point. Part of his job is to keep things ambiguous with the media. I don't think this changes anything.

Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin disputed ESPN's report that Cincinnati would not trade the No. 1 pick in the draft, telling the team website on Monday that the report was "news to him."

"I don't know that any decision has been made for what we're going to do in April," Tobin told Bengals.com. "We're early in the process. We certainly haven't had any meetings to determine that at this point. Those will be meetings we'll have as we go through the process."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28526248/still-early-process-bengals-brass-refutes-espn-report-saying-intend-deal-top-pick

Edited by SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Lying.  They know.

Of course they know.  He was house hunting in mason already.  But since NFL Network also started airing the draft, no one has come straight out and said who they are taking before they are actually on the clock.

besides, Tobin's respionse is as much to the talking heads trying to tell Burrow not to come as it is to put an end to the rumor.

20 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Of course they know.  He was house hunting in mason already.  But since NFL Network also started airing the draft, no one has come straight out and said who they are taking before they are actually on the clock.

besides, Tobin's respionse is as much to the talking heads trying to tell Burrow not to come as it is to put an end to the rumor.

I expect they'll announce it at some point a week or maybe a few days prior to the draft.  But not any sooner.  There's just no advantage to doing so.

How awkward would it be if they announced they were taking Burrow, and then he breaks his hip doing street luge the next day?

• Like 1

I can think of one marginal benefit to doing it and one huge benefit, so that one is probably off the table.

The Bengals are on the clock, but when are they really on the clock? They signed Carson Palmer the day before the draft. I thought I was having a Berenstain Bears moment when I couldn't find any information about that until eventually Wikipedia.

I'd thought that the Rams should have signed Goff early if they were sold on him. It would have been marketing move trying to sell a bad team back to the fan base.

The Bengals could use some selling to this fan base, I offer posts from this very forum as proof. It would create goodwill, positive interest, drive sales... It would be nice to know officially he wasn't refusing the Bengals.

The impossible benefit... How early can the first pick be signed? Free agency begins a month before the draft. If we had Burrow signed, sealed, and delivered we are more attractive than we would be otherwise, and it could also give us an advantage over other teams.

That's why it can't be a thing. But I can't find anything specifying the ability of the 1st pick to be used ahead of the draft.

1 hour ago, otg said:

I can think of one marginal benefit to doing it and one huge benefit, so that one is probably off the table.

The Bengals are on the clock, but when are they really on the clock? They signed Carson Palmer the day before the draft. I thought I was having a Berenstain Bears moment when I couldn't find any information about that until eventually Wikipedia.

I'd thought that the Rams should have signed Goff early if they were sold on him. It would have been marketing move trying to sell a bad team back to the fan base.

The Bengals could use some selling to this fan base, I offer posts from this very forum as proof. It would create goodwill, positive interest, drive sales... It would be nice to know officially he wasn't refusing the Bengals.

The impossible benefit... How early can the first pick be signed? Free agency begins a month before the draft. If we had Burrow signed, sealed, and delivered we are more attractive than we would be otherwise, and it could also give us an advantage over other teams.

That's why it can't be a thing. But I can't find anything specifying the ability of the 1st pick to be used ahead of the draft.

I don't think having him signed is a  benefit.  I assume it would not be possible prior to the change in league year, but as long as he's not blowing smoke about refusing to play for us, it's as good as signing him.