Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

On 2/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, theJ said:

Ok, but Carson should still shut his mouth.

It's like those damn parents who insist on giving advice to new parents.  Just let them figure it out.  It's not helping.

No. But I’m ok with it if it forces Mikey to spend some money in FA before the draft to show a “commitment to winning”. Hell give Palmer a ring if we win the SB if he finally spends some money. Would be his most meaningful contribution to the franchise... xD

5 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

No. But I’m ok with it if it forces Mikey to spend some money in FA before the draft to show a “commitment to winning”. Hell give Palmer a ring if we win the SB if he finally spends some money. Would be his most meaningful contribution to the franchise... xD

Mike Brown isn't listening to Carson. Probably never even heard the clip. Carson is only serving to PO the fan base. 

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Mike Brown isn't listening to Carson. Probably never even heard the clip. Carson is only serving to PO the fan base. 

No, I agree MB doesn’t give 2 $#!¥$ what Carson says. But I would imagine he has Burrow’s ear. If it comes out that Burrow wants a commitment to winning to sign here, it could definitely help make his cheap @$$ spend some money. MB has leached off the city of Cincinnati long enough. Give us a winner now that we are in a great spot for one. 

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Eh, he's mainly a pass rusher. We're ok on those, it's LBs who can cover and play in space that we're short of.

Depends on how many 3-4 looks we plan on using. I agree Baun isn’t the best fit for a 4-3 that exposes their linebackers in space more, but in a 3-4 he can play inside on run-downs and rotate as a rusher on passing downs. Lapham seems pretty smitten with him. 

Does anyone know what to expect from this defense formation wise? It’s hard to mock/scout players to us when we don’t necessarily know the fit.

18 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Does anyone know what to expect from this defense formation wise? It’s hard to mock/scout players to us when we don’t necessarily know the fit.

In my opinion, any defensive mind worth his salt should be able to vary his scheme according to the personnel available to him to maximize the talent that he has.  The Bengals have a lot of tweeners, but I think our best formations are more of a 3-4 look, which could be extenuated even more with an addition like Baun.  Rennell Wren's best fit is a 3-4 DE, and I think Geno could thrive as the opposite 3-4 DE, leaving Tupuo and Billings as the NT's in the middle.  Where this gets thrown off is that Carlos Dunlap isn't an ideal fit in a 3-4, and he's our best defensive player still.  Lawson's best fit is as a 3-4 OLB used primarily to rush.  Hubbard is versatile enough to play some 3-4 DE or OLB, although we don't want him in coverage pretty much ever.  I think Pratt fits well as a 3-4 ILB and we could draft a thumper in the later rounds for obvious run downs to pair inside with him.

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

In my opinion, any defensive mind worth his salt should be able to vary his scheme according to the personnel available to him to maximize the talent that he has.  The Bengals have a lot of tweeners, but I think our best formations are more of a 3-4 look, which could be extenuated even more with an addition like Baun.  Rennell Wren's best fit is a 3-4 DE, and I think Geno could thrive as the opposite 3-4 DE, leaving Tupuo and Billings as the NT's in the middle.  Where this gets thrown off is that Carlos Dunlap isn't an ideal fit in a 3-4, and he's our best defensive player still.  Lawson's best fit is as a 3-4 OLB used primarily to rush.  Hubbard is versatile enough to play some 3-4 DE or OLB, although we don't want him in coverage pretty much ever.  I think Pratt fits well as a 3-4 ILB and we could draft a thumper in the later rounds for obvious run downs to pair inside with him.

The problem with this is that to run a 3-4, you need 4 functioning LB's.  The Bengals have maybe 1 (Pratt).  At least running the 4-3, they're only one short in their base formation (nickle).

Meanwhile, they have quite a few DE's and DT's, and the line was one place they actually got some wins last season.  Plus you're asking some successful 10 year NFL vets to change positions.

I wouldn't change up the base formations at all going into 2020.  I just don't think that's a recipe for success.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

The problem with this is that to run a 3-4, you need 4 functioning LB's.  The Bengals have maybe 1 (Pratt).  At least running the 4-3, they're only one short in their base formation (nickle).

Meanwhile, they have quite a few DE's and DT's, and the line was one place they actually got some wins last season.  Plus you're asking some successful 10 year NFL vets to change positions.

I wouldn't change up the base formations at all going into 2020.  I just don't think that's a recipe for success.

Eh, even in a base 3-4, it's really more of the 5-2 we ran last year and those 2 outside guys are edge guys, in the Bengals case, DE's.  I actually liked how Anarumo was multiple last year and while we had a lot of 4 man lines, he threw in those 5-2 looks as well.  Not being beholden to one base set it the way to go.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Eh, even in a base 3-4, it's really more of the 5-2 we ran last year and those 2 outside guys are edge guys, in the Bengals case, DE's.  I actually liked how Anarumo was multiple last year and while we had a lot of 4 man lines, he threw in those 5-2 looks as well.  Not being beholden to one base set it the way to go.

I agree, and if they were suddenly full of great LB's i'm sure he'd get them out there.  I just can't see the Bengals trotting out 4 LB's in pretty much any situation next year.  To me that's unfathomable given how bad the LB's were.