Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I want to believe that to be true. Here’s how I see it:

Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs should all go top 15 or so. That leaves about another 15 picks until we’re on the clock again. Chances are another receiver goes during that span, and chances are the next guy is Jefferson. He’s too productive, tested too well, and there’s too many other teams needing receiver in the second half of the first round for him to last to 33. I don’t think he makes it. But man, that would be awesome pairing Joe with Jefferson for the next 10 years. 

Mims on the other hand, I don’t think goes 1st, and I don’t think I like him enough to take him at 33. He’s a 2nd round guy to me, even with the great combine and Senior bowl. 

Don’t forget about Raeger and Auiyuk

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Don’t forget about Raeger and Auiyuk

I think Jefferson is clearly ahead of those two as a prospect. Neither of them have the production or SEC pedigree, and neither or them tested as freakishly as expected, while Jefferson tested exceptionally well for what he is.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I think Jefferson is clearly ahead of those two as a prospect. Neither of them have the production or SEC pedigree, and neither or them tested as freakishly as expected, while Jefferson tested exceptionally well for what he is.

No but I think they are fringe 1st rounders. 

The WR group is deep enough I'd rather wait until round 3 or even 4 to take one. If we don't sign a good OT in free agency, then we might need to take someone at 33 to replace Hart. If we get the O-line patched in free agency, then a CB or LB at 33 makes more sense.

It's a deep WR group, but if we can get one of the top 5 (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Mims) then I think that's going to be BPA at 33.  After that top 5, then I agree it can wait until sometime in rds 3-5, although I wouldn't be upset if we took Higgins at 33, the guy was one of the best playmakers in college football the last two years.

47 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The WR group is deep enough I'd rather wait until round 3 or even 4 to take one. If we don't sign a good OT in free agency, then we might need to take someone at 33 to replace Hart. If we get the O-line patched in free agency, then a CB or LB at 33 makes more sense.

This sums up my thoughts on your comment.

I wouldn't force the issue at #33, but if a WR on the board is the highest graded guy (and assuming a trade back isn't feasible for whatever reason), then take him.  Don't get cute with it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's a deep WR group, but if we can get one of the top 5 (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Jefferson, Mims) then I think that's going to be BPA at 33.  After that top 5, then I agree it can wait until sometime in rds 3-5, although I wouldn't be upset if we took Higgins at 33, the guy was one of the best playmakers in college football the last two years.

Higgins is in that group for me at 33 until he runs slow or posts a terrible 3-cone. Reminds me of Alshon Jeffery-lite and Devante Parker. 

The ideal scenario if there is no clear cut BPA at 33 and a group of really good WRs still available, would be to trade back 6-10 spots, add a 3rd rounder, and take the best player that falls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I wouldn't force the issue at #33, but if a WR on the board is the highest graded guy (and assuming a trade back isn't feasible for whatever reason), then take him.  Don't get cute with it.

It's a mistake to simply take BPA. The team should draft for MVA (Most Value Added). If they have reason to believe Green won't be on the team after 2020, then a good WR might be the best player to take. This is likely Ross's final season with the team. But if they expect to sign Green for multiple years, then WR is less of a need and another position could be beefed up instead. 

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

It's a mistake to simply take BPA. The team should draft for MVA (Most Value Added). If they have reason to believe Green won't be on the team after 2020, then a good WR might be the best player to take. This is likely Ross's final season with the team. But if they expect to sign Green for multiple years, then WR is less of a need and another position could be beefed up instead. 

If we take a receiver at 33 you can pretty much kiss AJ goodbye after 2020.

18 hours ago, theJ said:

No point in outsmarting yourself.  Right fit right value, pull the trigger. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Intriguing mid round LB with some minor character flags.

Character concerns haven't kept the Bengals away in the past, although we aren't quite sure if Taylor is in line with that philosophy or not yet.  If he's there in rd 4, that'd be a good value