Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Simmons is super tempting, but Okudah might edge him out based on positional value alone. 

Given Simmon's skill set at his size, doing what he can do at LB might be a rarer skill set than a lock down CB.  Simmons can cover slot WR, tackle RB's like Zeke and Barkley dead in their tracks, and body up on TE's like Kittle and Kelce.  Simmons will never leave the field on defense.

I like that LB and WR needy teams are filling holes via free agency or trade. I think you can scratch the Bills and Cardinals off the list of teams looking to add a first round receiver. The Raiders also signed Kwiatkowski, so they could bypass LB too.

I’m really hoping Mims is there at 33 but I doubt it. Jefferson would be a nice consolation.

Went through and made a Bengals 53 man depth chart after the Reader and Waynes signing.  We have to get at least 1 more body at LB before we head into the draft.

QB: Andy Dalton (for the moment, really just replace him with Burrow), Ryan Finley, Jake Dolegala
RB: Joe Mixon, Giovanni Bernard, Trayveon Williams
WR: AJ Green, Auden Tate
WR: Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson
WR: John Ross, Stanley Morgan
TE: CJ Uzomah, Drew Sample, Cethan Carter
LT: Jonah Williams, Fred Johnson
LG: Michael Jordan
C: Trey Hopkins, Billy Price
RG: John Miller, Alex Redmond
RT: Bobby Hart, Isaiah Prince

LDE: Carlos Dunlap, Andrew Brown, Kerry Wynn
UDT: Geno Atkins, Renell Wren, Ryan Glasgow
NDT: DJ Reader, Josh Tupou
RDE: Sam Hubbard, Carl Lawson
WLB: Jordan Evans, Brady Shelton, Laroy Reynolds
MLB: Germaine Pratt, Hardy Nickerson
CB: William Jackson, Winston Rose
CB: Trae Waynes, Tony McRae
CB: Darius Phillips, Tony Brown
FS: Jessie Bates, Brandon Wilson
SS: Shawn Williams, Trayvon Henderson

K: Randy Bullock
P: Kevin Huber
LS: Clark Harris

3/4 look
LDE: Renell Wren, Carlos Dunlap
NT: DJ Reader, Josh Tupou
RDE: Andrew Brown, Sam Hubbard
LOLB: Jordan Evans
LILB: Germain Pratt
RILB: Hardy Nickerson
ROLB: Carl Lawson

Given the 3/4 bodies we have, I think Baun is a highly likely pick if he is there at 33.  He could fill the outside rush role or even be an ILB in a 3-4 look.  I think we stay multiple like we were last year and morph between a traditional 4 man front, 3/4, 5/2 looks.

Even if we sign a LB in the next few days, I still think we see a LB at 33 or 65, the depth after Pratt is just atrocious.

Unless Jefferson or Mims is there at 33, I don't see us going WR until day 3.  Same thing with oline, I don't see us taking one before day 3 unless a guy they really like falls to 33 (unlikely) or 65 (maybe Wilson, Wanogho, Cleveland...).  If we do take OL, I think it's more likely interior oline.  Isaiah Wilson could be an incredible guard and maybe bump out to T in a year or two.

Unless the value and fit is perfect there, I doubt we see CB early.

I think we might see a late round RB.  Williams was hurt and even at the end of the year didn't get any burn, and Rodney Anderson just can't stay healthy.  In fact, I'll be a little surprised if we don't take a RB.

Highly likely we take a S at some point.  Even if we take a S at 33, Williams might still be here, but as more of a coverage LB

Edited by THE DUKE
No Jerry, Webb gone
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Went through and made a Bengals 53 man depth chart after the Reader and Waynes signing.  We have to get at least 1 more body at LB before we head into the draft.

QB: Andy Dalton (for the moment, really just replace him with Burrow), Ryan Finley, Jake Dolegala
RB: Joe Mixon, Giovanni Bernard, Trayveon Williams
WR: AJ Green, Auden Tate
WR: Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson
WR: John Ross, Stanley Morgan
TE: CJ Uzomah, Drew Sample, Cethan Carter
LT: Jonah Williams, Fred Johnson
LG: Michael Jordan, John Jerry
C: Trey Hopkins, Billy Price
RG: John Miller, Alex Redmond
RT: Bobby Hart, Isaiah Prince

LDE: Carlos Dunlap, Andrew Brown, Kerry Wynn
UDT: Geno Atkins, Renell Wren, Ryan Glasgow
NDT: DJ Reader, Josh Tupou
RDE: Sam Hubbard, Carl Lawson
WLB: Jordan Evans, Brady Shelton, Laroy Reynolds
MLB: Germaine Pratt, Hardy Nickerson
CB: William Jackson, BW Webb
CB: Trae Waynes, Tony McRae
CB: Darius Phillips, Tony Brown
FS: Jessie Bates, Brandon Wilson
SS: Shawn Williams, Trayvon Henderson

K: Randy Bullock
P: Kevin Huber
LS: Clark Harris

3/4 look
LDE: Renell Wren, Carlos Dunlap
NT: DJ Reader, Josh Tupou
RDE: Andrew Brown, Sam Hubbard
LOLB: Jordan Evans
LILB: Germain Pratt
RILB: Hardy Nickerson
ROLB: Carl Lawson

Given the 3/4 bodies we have, I think Baun is a highly likely pick if he is there at 33.  He could fill the outside rush role or even be an ILB in a 3-4 look.  I think we stay multiple like we were last year and morph between a traditional 4 man front, 3/4, 5/2 looks.

Even if we sign a LB in the next few days, I still think we see a LB at 33 or 65, the depth after Pratt is just atrocious.

Unless Jefferson or Mims is there at 33, I don't see us going WR until day 3.  Same thing with oline, I don't see us taking one before day 3 unless a guy they really like falls to 33 (unlikely) or 65 (maybe Wilson, Wanogho, Cleveland...).  If we do take OL, I think it's more likely interior oline.  Isaiah Wilson could be an incredible guard and maybe bump out to T in a year or two.

Unless the value and fit is perfect there, I doubt we see CB early.

I think we might see a late round RB.  Williams was hurt and even at the end of the year didn't get any burn, and Rodney Anderson just can't stay healthy.  In fact, I'll be a little surprised if we don't take a RB.

Highly likely we take a S at some point.  Even if we take a S at 33, Williams might still be here, but as more of a coverage LB

Jerry isn't under contract

The more I look into Michael Pittman Jr, the more I really hope he is there at 65.  USC has been a mess in recent years so he didn't have a huge national profile, but he has very good production numbers, had some of the best agility testing in the combine for WR's, has good enough long speed, and has all that at 6'4" 223 lbs.  He may not be as explosive as the top WR, but that's also how you get him at 65 instead of top 20.  Still fast enough to be a legit deep threat.

Just did my final mock of what I think actually happens, you guys got Justin Jefferson reunited with Burrow in the 1st pick of the 2nd Round. Was shocked he fell so far. Not really a need but Jefferson is a Top 25 player in this class and the chemistry with Burrow. Also got you Malik Harrison in the 3rd. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, THE DUKE said:

Same thing with oline, I don't see us taking one before day 3 unless a guy they really like falls to 33 (unlikely) or 65 (maybe Wilson, Wanogho, Cleveland...).

I would disagree.  After the spending in FA on the defense, the offensive line now is by FAR the biggest issue on the team.  I would argue that both day 2 picks could/should be used on the OL.  I'm fine with going BPA, but guys like Ruiz, Cushenberry, Josh Jones, Erza, Wilson, Muti, etc... should all be in the discussion and high on our board...

My worry is that the guys who would be worth it at 33 (Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Cesar Ruiz) will be gone and we reach for the next tier.  Perhaps we'll trade down before the reach, but 65 seems a better area for that.  Given all our defensive additions, it sure looks like we'll be targeting offense in the draft though.

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

My worry is that the guys who would be worth it at 33 (Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Cesar Ruiz) will be gone and we reach for the next tier.  Perhaps we'll trade down before the reach, but 65 seems a better area for that.  Given all our defensive additions, it sure looks like we'll be targeting offense in the draft though.

At #33, I would take any of these OL (in no order):

1. Jedrick Willis
  2. Andrew Thomas
  3. Tristan Wirfs
  4. Mekhi Becton
  5. Lucas Niang
  6. Josh Jones
  7. Austin Jackson
  8. Prince Tega Wanogho
  9. Cesar Ruiz
  10. Matt Hennessy
  11. Loyd Cushenberry III

That's 11 OL who hopefully won't all be going in the top 32.  I am OK with going BPA though, but I'm hoping someone like Ruiz, or Jones is on the board at #33...