Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You mean like passing on Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, Max Sharping, Elgton Jenkins, Erik McCoy etc. for Drew Sample?  Cause y'know, the run blocking TE is going to be a mainstay in this offense.

Third string TE. If he played more I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt. But he has barely seen the field. Ridiculous waste of a pick. I really wish we would have moved up for one of those offensive tackles at the begging of the 2nd. Even without hindsight that would have been a great move to shore up depth. 

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You mean like passing on Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, Max Sharping, Elgton Jenkins, Erik McCoy etc. for Drew Sample?  Cause y'know, the run blocking TE is going to be a mainstay in this offense.

Another reason I hate (yes hate) the Jim Turner hiring.  Erik McCoy was a stud at Texas A&M, and Jim Turner was his OL coach.  Turner and McCoy had a falling out because Turner criticized him for leaving college early to go to the NFL, which he ended up doing in the same damn offseason.  What a hypocritical a-hole...

17 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Third string TE. If he played more I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt. But he has barely seen the field. Ridiculous waste of a pick. I really wish we would have moved up for one of those offensive tackles at the begging of the 2nd. Even without hindsight that would have been a great move to shore up depth. 

I thought it was a terrible pick at the time, regardless of his usage. 

Dalton Risner, who's looked great for Denver, went a pick earlier before we moved back. What would it have costed to move up 2 spots to secure him?

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I thought it was a terrible pick at the time, regardless of his usage. 

Dalton Risner, who's looked great for Denver, went a pick earlier before we moved back. What would it have costed to move up 2 spots to secure him?

It might have cost us one of our precious 6th round picks. We probably wouldn't have taken Risner or Cody Ford anyway after taking Jonah Williams in the 1st. 

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It might have cost us one of our precious 6th round picks. We probably wouldn't have taken Risner or Cody Ford anyway after taking Jonah Williams in the 1st. 

The team came out and said they were looking to trade up to take one of the falling OTs but after they were off the board, we traded back and then ended up with Sample...

Today was a hugely successful one for the Bengals in our quest for the top pick. Three of the four teams with 1 win got their second today. So only the hapless Redskins are within a game of us. While I have full faith we can lose out, the Skins might get a win off the Giants to give us insurance.

Edited by sparky151
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

if We finish with pick 1, would anyone be opposed to a trade down if someone was willing to sell the farm? This team has a ton of holes. 

Only if it meant still getting one of the top 2 QB's.  Like trading from 1 to 3 because someone just has to have Chase Young or something.  If you don't have "The Guy" at QB, you essentially need to have a perfect roster to overcome that, even with an above average QB like Dalton played in 2015 the rest of that roster was so stacked.  A proper franchise QB in there and they steamroll the league that year.  You don't EVER pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one you are confident in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

if We finish with pick 1, would anyone be opposed to a trade down if someone was willing to sell the farm? This team has a ton of holes. 

If we trade down it would be because we couldn't fill enough holes in free agency. That's entirely possible for this organization but not something we should aim for. It's an admission of failure.

35 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Only if it meant still getting one of the top 2 QB's.  Like trading from 1 to 3 because someone just has to have Chase Young or something.  If you don't have "The Guy" at QB, you essentially need to have a perfect roster to overcome that, even with an above average QB like Dalton played in 2015 the rest of that roster was so stacked.  A proper franchise QB in there and they steamroll the league that year.  You don't EVER pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one you are confident in.

Agreed.  QB has to be the pick unless they just really don't like one of them.  Even if they didn't like either guy, i think they still need to pick one.  This team is going no where without a QB.