Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

26 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Since you haven't taken the time to dive in, I'll tell lou what I see.  I see a very good thrower who is surrounded by elite talent around him on a very loaded SEC team.  But until he was put in Brady's system, he was just a guy.  He couldn't beat out Haskins, Cardale or Barrett in Columbus.  he was mediocre last year.  At the start of this season, he was seen as a third or fourth rounder.  He has made a few great throws into tight windows, but often he throws to wide open receivers (due to teams playing well behind them for fear of getting beat) or throws balls high where only Jefferson and the other tall WR can get it.  He's better than a guy like Eason, who took a similar path from Georgia to Washington.  But if Eason was playing at LSU instead, I think he puts up very similar numbers.  he won't have the talent advantage here, plus a porous offensive line.  That's a recipe for a lot of early failure.

It's true, 80% of QB throws in college are ungradeable. There's just not enough competition for the elite teams for NFL scouts to get a good bead. That's why we see a lot of busts. 

But Burrow has some really good traits, had shown a penchant for the big play this year, and has the mobility a QB in Cincinnati will need to have. At this moment, I don't think id pass on him. 

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Generational was probably too strong, but elite isn't.  

I've laid out a plan past just the number one pick.  How would you fix this team, because any time I try to lay out a plan more than just 1 move,  all I get is why I'm wrong.  No other alternative plan.  No discussion.  Sorry if we don't agree, but I always preface it with what I would do, not what the team should or will do.  All I get is why I'm wrong, and frankly, it's old.  

Since you haven't taken the time to dive in, I'll tell lou what I see.  I see a very good thrower who is surrounded by elite talent around him on a very loaded SEC team.  But until he was put in Brady's system, he was just a guy.  He couldn't beat out Haskins, Cardale or Barrett in Columbus.  he was mediocre last year.  At the start of this season, he was seen as a third or fourth rounder.  He has made a few great throws into tight windows, but often he throws to wide open receivers (due to teams playing well behind them for fear of getting beat) or throws balls high where only Jefferson and the other tall WR can get it.  He's better than a guy like Eason, who took a similar path from Georgia to Washington.  But if Eason was playing at LSU instead, I think he puts up very similar numbers.  he won't have the talent advantage here, plus a porous offensive line.  That's a recipe for a lot of early failure.

I don't think after seeing what Haskins did last year, that  you can hold burrow not winning the job against him.  Especially considering he had an injury at an inopportune time.  Haskins and Burrow probably should have beaten out JT, but the coach liked his successful veteran. 

I'm not sold on Burrow being an above average qb, but I think he's got a pretty low floor. I'm not convinced that he's the guy over Herbert that teams will want.  I'm honestly fine with either a trade down or just pulling the trigger on the qb.  I'd be pretty happy getting a top line backer in the first while adding lots of draft picks for 20 and 21 drafts. I  think either approach can be successful. 

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Burrow seems to have a lot more of the intangibles than Herbert, but man when you see throws like the TD throw Herbert had this weekend, it makes you take notice.  60 yards on a line, hit his receiver in stride.

Herbert's arm strength isn't in question. His accuracy and touch are.

I love watching Burrows pocket presence. His deep ball is actually pretty good too.  Have a hard time remembering the last deep ball that hit the receiver in stride for a big gain/TD for the Bengals. 

Chase Young also got neutralized for much of the game against Michigan yesterday. 

Not saying Burrow is better than Young, but he’s gonna change our offense entirely.