Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

24 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I love watching Burrows pocket presence. His deep ball is actually pretty good too.  Have a hard time remembering the last deep ball that hit the receiver in stride for a big gain/TD for the Bengals. 

Chase Young also got neutralized for much of the game against Michigan yesterday. 

Not saying Burrow is better than Young, but he’s gonna change our offense entirely. 

That deep ball on the third TD was a thing of beauty. The kid just has it.

I'll start by saying Burrow is the pick for me right now, but I do have two concerns:

• Arm Strength.  In the NFL the windows are incredibly tight; Finley had zero chance with his arm strength.  Burrow is not Finley, but I do see arm strength issues pop up here and there.  His anticipation and accuracy makes up for it, but that's a tough way to win consistently in the NFL.  Guys like Brees are rare, and that's the level he'll need to be at. Right now though, he does kind of remind me of Deshaun Watson in terms of movement, arm strength, and production.  He's not at that level, but he's close to that for me.
  • The LSU OL has been pretty stout.  I hope we get a LSU vs. OSU game in the CFB playoffs.  There's a difference between looking great under pressure when it occurs infrequently vs. playing well when you're under constant pressure for an entire game.

6 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Arm Strength. 

This is pretty much my only gripe. His arm is very average and he has a tendency to float some balls. If he had a plus arm, I think he would be hyped more as a special QB prospect. But, it is what it is. I would be worried more if he couldn't throw a deep ball, but he seems to unleash those fairly easily and accurately. Luckily for us, his timing, anticipation, and ball placement are A+.

Romo is probably his closest pro comparison. Watching him sling it around with an average arm makes me feel a lot better. 

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is pretty much my only gripe. His arm is very average and he has a tendency to float some balls. If he had a plus arm, I think he would be hyped more as a special QB prospect. But, it is what it is. I would be worried more if he couldn't throw a deep ball, but he seems to unleash those fairly easily and accurately. Luckily for us, his timing, anticipation, and ball placement are A+.

Romo is probably his closest pro comparison. Watching him sling it around with an average arm makes me feel a lot better.

I've seen the Romo comp a couple of times for Burrow, and I like that as well.  Lately, I've noticed a bit of Watson and the reason that I say that is Romo never really sets his feet when scrambling.  Watson and Burrow do a bit to get more power on the ball downfield.  Which, I think is a good thing...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'll start by saying Burrow is the pick for me right now, but I do have two concerns:

• Arm Strength.  In the NFL the windows are incredibly tight; Finley had zero chance with his arm strength.  Burrow is not Finley, but I do see arm strength issues pop up here and there.  His anticipation and accuracy makes up for it, but that's a tough way to win consistently in the NFL.  Guys like Brees are rare, and that's the level he'll need to be at. Right now though, he does kind of remind me of Deshaun Watson in terms of movement, arm strength, and production.  He's not at that level, but he's close to that for me.
  • The LSU OL has been pretty stout.  I hope we get a LSU vs. OSU game in the CFB playoffs.  There's a difference between looking great under pressure when it occurs infrequently vs. playing well when you're under constant pressure for an entire game.

I'm hoping that the top 3 in the CFP stay the same.  Would love to see Burrow play Clemson, then OSU, if it worked out that way.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm hoping that the top 3 in the CFP stay the same.  Would love to see Burrow play Clemson, then OSU, if it worked out that way.  

Not to mention Georgia's right before.  That's 3 teams with a  lot of NFL talent to play against.  If he looks good in all of those,  there may not be much conversation left about who the best prospect in this draft is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Not to mention Georgia's right before.  That's 3 teams with a  lot of NFL talent to play against.  If he looks good in all of those,  there may not be much conversation left about who the best prospect in this draft is. 

It's such a small sample size that everything matters...

13 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

It's such a small sample size that everything matters...

If he goes through that, it'll be a pretty solid sample size, or at least as much as you can ask from a college QB in one season:

Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Ohio State
Clemson
Texas

Not too many QB's face that kind of schedule in a single season.

• Like 4

Watched some more of Burrow last night, and that arm strength really concerns me.  The majority of his deep passes are underthrown.  You almost always see the receiver turn back to the ball/slow down on the route.  Oddly, the only times I didn't notice that was when he was on the run and throwing. His tight window throws didn't seem to have a lot of velocity and the ball wobbled a lot.  Still more games to come, but definitely something I'll be focusing on...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Watched some more of Burrow last night, and that arm strength really concerns me.  The majority of his deep passes are underthrown.  You almost always see the receiver turn back to the ball/slow down on the route.  Oddly, the only times I didn't notice that was when he was on the run and throwing. His tight window throws didn't seem to have a lot of velocity and the ball wobbled a lot.  Still more games to come, but definitely something I'll be focusing on...

If there's any reason he falls in the draft, it'll be that.  It's his one and only knock.

The question is whether his arm is Ryan Finley, or Andy Dalton.  Because Dalton's is serviceable if he had better pocket management and playmaking ability while moving around.  But he doesn't.

Ryan Finley's is not serviceable in any way, shape or form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Definitely better than Finley and good enough for an NFL qb, but not convinced it's enough to be a true franchise changer. 

Honestly i'm not really sure what the mold is anymore.  There's example of various guys with different traits that are successful.

If all his intangibles translate, his arm won't matter.  If they don't, it could be a problem.

11 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I’ve watched a lot of him and I haven’t seen many balls underthrown. A lot of his deep passes have been on the money hitting his receiver in stride.