Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

Falcons should be looking for the eventual successor to Ryan.  I think they would pounce on a QB.  Their fans probably want Chase young more, but they need to start thinking about life after Ryan.

I don't think so. He's only 34 and signed through 2023. 

Matt Ryan isn't the problem with that team.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I think that's will happen.  They'll get leapfrogged or Dan Snyder will fall in love with Burrow and that will be that.  Because we know other franchises will do whatever it takes to get that QB, and the Bengals won't.

The prevailing winds say Snyder took Haskins because his kid or grand kid went to HS with Haskins and the were friends.  If that's really true, I don't know what they would do.  I could see them pulling an Arizona and taking one of the top guys and then flip haskins (please don't be to us).

Everyone is focused on the Miami game.  We have the Jets at home.  That's more winnable at the moment.

And if we slip to 4-5, I'm actually fine with Thomas, but would be depressed at the fact we didn't have the opportunity to trade back and acquire more picks while doing it.

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

Drew Brees is 40.  I would be shocked if the Falcons took a QB instead of trading back or taking a player like Chase Young...

I would too.  But it is still a possibility.  that is all.  And all three of those guys are part of the 2% anomalies at the position.

Just now, INbengalfan said:

I would too.  But it is still a possibility.  that is all.  And all three of those guys are part of the 2% anomalies at the position.

• Tom Brady
  • Philip Rivers
  • Big Ben
  • Drew Brees

8% of the starting QB population, but all those guys are at least 3 years older than Matt Ryan.  Considering he just signed last year a contract with ~$100M guaranteed and has 4 years left on the contract would be a shocker...

11 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  • Tom Brady
  • Philip Rivers
  • Big Ben
  • Drew Brees

8% of the starting QB population, but all those guys are at least 3 years older than Matt Ryan.  Considering he just signed last year a contract with ~$100M guaranteed and has 4 years left on the contract would be a shocker...

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that would make them consider a switch is if Dan Quinn gets fired and they bring in a new coach who wants his own guy. Even then, the chances are slim as it appears the entire FO is committed to Ryan - and rightfully so. 

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that would make them consider a switch is if Dan Quinn gets fired and they bring in a new coach who wants his own guy. Even then, the chances are slim as it appears the entire FO is committed to Ryan - and rightfully so. 

They can't get out of his contract until 2022, trade or cut.  They're not going to draft a QB this year.  I could see it in 2021, when they could sit the rookie for a year.  But no way they're going to sit a top 3 pick for 3 years while Ryan plays out that deal.  And no way they're going to sit a $25m QB for 3 years until they can cut him either.

Plus he's played really well this year.  Their problems are just elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The prevailing winds say Snyder took Haskins because his kid or grand kid went to HS with Haskins and the were friends.  If that's really true, I don't know what they would do.  I could see them pulling an Arizona and taking one of the top guys and then flip haskins (please don't be to us).

Everyone is focused on the Miami game.  We have the Jets at home.  That's more winnable at the moment.

And if we slip to 4-5, I'm actually fine with Thomas, but would be depressed at the fact we didn't have the opportunity to trade back and acquire more picks while doing it.

Jets defense was pretty depleted vs Dolphins. Darnold is a better QB than Finley and I'd be surprised if Bengals won that game. 

If we do get a chance to trade a high pick to Skins for Haskins and a pick that gets us Young, we should do that. Haskins has an elite arm and a decent brain.