If Ryan Pace would have just done this:

Steel Worker

I was just thinking, What if Ryan Pace had just shipped a 2nd round pick to New England For Jimmy G?  All the draft picks saved that could have been used to build up the lines and a good tight end.  Money saved in free agency, for extensions to our own players. Oh Mr. Pace you really outsmarted everyone did you not?

27 minutes ago, Steel Worker said:

I was just thinking, What if Ryan Pace had just shipped a 2nd round pick to New England For Jimmy G?  All the draft picks saved that could have been used to build up the lines and a good tight end.  Money saved in free agency, for extensions to our own players. Oh Mr. Pace you really outsmarted everyone did you not?

A lot of us, myself included, wanted this to happen but we do not know that it was a realistic option at the time when this team needed a new direction at QB following the Bears moving on from Cutler.  This not happening still pisses me off.

Mitch was selected in the April 2017 draft and Jimmy G was traded to SF in October 2017 after NE realized that Brady would be playing a few more years and Jimmy G was going to become a FA.

It was perfect timing for the 49ers to make that deal.

I'm pretty confident that Pace would have made the same trade had it been offered to him prior to selecting Mitch in the draft because it was rumored he was very interested in Jimmy and they have the same alma matter. I'm also sure Jimmy would have loved being the starter for his hometown Bears.  

What could have been...oh well.  Bears are just a QB cursed franchise lol.

Edited by topwop1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What if he would've stayed put at 3, taken Mahomes and with the second round pick taken Kamara?

We could do this all day.

Ya we could but it was highly rumored that Bears liked Jimmy G, but we do not know whether the asking price was too high or he simply wasn't available for trade at the time.

I'm pretty sure Pace would have rather opted to trade a 2nd round pick for Jimmy over taking an unknown at #2/3 overall.

Edited by topwop1

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What if he would've stayed put at 3, taken Mahomes and with the second round pick taken Kamara?

We could do this all day.

I sometimes do like to fantasize over draft do overs in various years.  Doesn't change reality.

My thoughts as a Bears fan for 2020:  We have to bring in a veteran QB , who can help us win next season, I like Foles.  Also I would pursue a Tight End in FA.  Austen Hooper comes to mind.  I would use the 2 second round picks on a QB, if there is one there with upside to develop and an offensive Tackle or Guard. It is time to replenish the O Line. Any thoughts?

I think the OP's question is fair and Garoppolo was discussed as an option among Bears fans at the time.

I mostly question Pace's decision to retain Fox as a lame-duck coach and then draft a rookie QB. If you knew you wanted to draft a QB in 2017, you should have hired your new head coach in 2017 and let him bring the QB along from the start.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:26 AM, topwop1 said:

Ya we could but it was highly rumored that Bears liked Jimmy G, but we do not know whether the asking price was too high or he simply wasn't available for trade at the time.

I'm pretty sure Pace would have rather opted to trade a 2nd round pick for Jimmy over taking an unknown at #2/3 overall.

We'll probably never know what happened for sure, but the whole thing with Garoppolo ended up being a power struggle between Kraft and Belichick, with Belichick losing and being forced to trade Garoppolo when he did for a lower price than what he wanted. That being said, Pace should have probably just paid the higher, initial price.

23 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I think the OP's question is fair and Garoppolo was discussed as an option among Bears fans at the time.

I mostly question Pace's decision to retain Fox as a lame-duck coach and then draft a rookie QB. If you knew you wanted to draft a QB in 2017, you should have hired your new head coach in 2017 and let him bring the QB along from the start.

Yeah, if Fox would have been more of an offensive minded coach, that decision would have made a lot more sense, even if Pace suspected Fox would be gone quickly. Very weird, questionable move. 

23 hours ago, Steel Worker said:

My thoughts as a Bears fan for 2020:  We have to bring in a veteran QB , who can help us win next season, I like Foles.  Also I would pursue a Tight End in FA.  Austen Hooper comes to mind.  I would use the 2 second round picks on a QB, if there is one there with upside to develop and an offensive Tackle or Guard. It is time to replenish the O Line. Any thoughts?

First of all, welcome aboard! :)

We've discussed the pro and cons of Foles quite a bit. Some of us aren't real high on Foles--just as a player in general, regardless of the viability of him as an option. Personally, I'm not so sure that the Jags will even let Foles go, as that would be sort of a **** move on their part, and keeping him puts them in great shape at the position. 

As to the need to bring in a veteran (in general)...I don't know. The options are limited. A lot of folks have brought up Alex Smith as a possibility, provided he can still play, and still wants to. The team is young enough that a long term QB is the preferred route, IMO. It's an unfortunate situation to be in, for sure. Especially since that even if Trubisky ends up looking like he'll work out, there still has to be some plan B in place.