3 Haunting Things from 49ers

NinerNation21

I was listening to Bleacher Report's podcast, Stick to Football this morning and they had a fun segment about sports things that have haunted them. I know Halloween is over, but I think this would be a fun topic to talk about.

List 3 things from past/present 49er teams that still haunt you today.

Mine are:

1. Jim Harbaugh not calling on Frank Gore on the goal line in the Super Bowl: I will never forget Jim Harbaugh's and Greg Roman's idiocracy to not give the ball to Frank Gore and instead, throw fades to Crabtree, which IMO cost us the Super Bowl.

2. The Mass Exodus of Talent: The ending of the Harbaugh Era is cringeworthy. The way the breakup happened was one thing, but having so many of the best players retire or leave via free agency so quickly hurt the short-term future of the team. No team could handle that much talent leaving unexpectedly and watching it happen to your favorite team sucked. Seeing Willis being forced to retire because of injuries, Kap's political situation, Bowman's knee issues, Aldon's psychological demise, Justin Smith's retirement, and the guys who left in FA because of the FO (Reid and Boone) was just too much to handle in a short amount of time.

3. The Dark Age: The 49ers from 2003 to 2011 were utterly unbearable. Inept coaching, questionable FO decisions, and some horrendous on-field play is just the tip of that ugly iceberg. It was hard to watch that dumpster. The biggest positive that came out of that era was all of the talent that ended up being the bulk of Harbaugh's team. I give a lot of credit to Singletary for trying to right the ship. He was a terrible head coach, but he was an exceptional person and motivator. Without Singletary, I'm not sure Vernon Davis would've been as good as he ended up being.

#1 is my #1.

#2 is the New York Giants in 1990 and 2011. Roger Craig broke my poor little heart for the first time as a sports fan and then the refs (Bradshaw's fumble) and Kyle Williams really stuck the knife in an old wound and twisted repeatedly. 

#3 Brett Favre. That guy...even felt gross when he was in our locker room last week. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

#1 is my #1.

#2 is the New York Giants in 1990 and 2011. Roger Craig broke my poor little heart for the first time as a sports fan and then the refs (Bradshaw's fumble) and Kyle Williams really stuck the knife in an old wound and twisted repeatedly. 

#3 Brett Favre. That guy...even felt gross when he was in our locker room last week. 

#2 - I don't know how bad Ginn's injury was but the selfish fan in me wished that he had sucked it up and played that game in 2011. Even if all he did was call for fair catches.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was listening to Bleacher Report's podcast, Stick to Football this morning and they had a fun segment about sports things that have haunted them. I know Halloween is over, but I think this would be a fun topic to talk about.

Mine are:

1. Jim Harbaugh not calling on Frank Gore on the goal line in the Super Bowl: I will never forget Jim Harbaugh's and Greg Roman's idiocracy to not give the ball to Frank Gore and instead, throw fades to Crabtree, which IMO cost us the Super Bowl.

2. The Mass Exodus of Talent: The ending of the Harbaugh Era is cringeworthy. The way the breakup happened was one thing, but having so many of the best players retire or leave via free agency so quickly hurt the short-term future of the team. No team could handle that much talent leaving unexpectedly and watching it happen to your favorite team sucked. Seeing Willis being forced to retire because of injuries, Kap's political situation, Bowman's knee issues, Aldon's psychological demise, Justin Smith's retirement, and the guys who left in FA because of the FO (Reid and Boone) was just too much to handle in a short amount of time.

3. The Dark Age: The 49ers from 2003 to 2011 were utterly unbearable. Inept coaching, questionable FO decisions, and some horrendous on-field play is just the tip of that ugly iceberg. It was hard to watch that dumpster. The biggest positive that came out of that era was all of the talent that ended up being the bulk of Harbaugh's team. I give a lot of credit to Singletary for trying to right the ship. He was a terrible head coach, but he was an exceptional person and motivator. Without Singletary, I'm not sure Vernon Davis would've been as good as he ended up being.

1. I also won't forget watching Jim hesitate, calling a time out right before Kaep snapped the ball on a QB draw/power. He had a lane.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

#1 is my #1.

Substitute Troy Aikman for Favre and its like you read my mind..

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Jim Harbaugh not calling on Frank Gore on the goal line in the Super Bowl: I will never forget Jim Harbaugh's and Greg Roman's idiocracy to not give the ball to Frank Gore and instead, throw fades to Crabtree, which IMO cost us the Super Bowl.

clear this is the worst. I hate that we couldnt best seattle. 

Kyle Williams vs the giants I was in the stands and it was absolutely gut wrenching seeing that game live. 

lastly, 1999 Steve Young's last game on MNF he was knocked out cold on the field and I think everyone knew that was it for #8. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Mine are:

I try not to be superstition but the moment Chris Culliver made those homophobic comments a few days before the SB, I had an uneasy feeling going into the game. Then we lost the coin toss, I hated that too.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

1. 1990 NFC Championship game loss.

2. Crumbling at the goal line in Super Bowl 47.

3. 1997 NFC Championship game loss. 

Honorary mentions:

- Trading Charles Haley

- Losing Ricky Watters 

At the time we were living in an apt but getting the land at my parent's current house ready. We didn't catch the game but I still remember coming home, turning on the game(it was over) and seeing the score. as a 3rd grader at the time, I was sooooooooooooo confused. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? years later I would come to know the name of Brett Favre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I try not to be superstition but the moment Chris Culliver made those homophobic comments a few days before the SB, I had an uneasy feeling going into the game. Then we lost the coin toss, I hated that too.

With all of that, the lights going out, and the bad first half, the 49ers could've won the game. The goal line mess up cost them the Super Bowl.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

At the time we were living in an apt but getting the land at my parent's current house ready. We didn't catch the game but I still remember coming home, turning on the game(it was over) and seeing the score. as a 3rd grader at the time, I was sooooooooooooo confused. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? years later I would come to know the name of Brett Favre.

Yes, the team just looked flat all game. Packers dominated defensively, and deserved the win.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kudos to you for remembering this as a 3rd grader. I was in 4th grade and don't remember anything on the list you quoted, except for #2.

• Like 1