Jump to content

3 Haunting Things from 49ers


NinerNation21

Recommended Posts

As sports fan period, 1990 was as gutted as I've been. First time I shed tears as a sports fan. I was definitely hurt we lost to the Vikings in 1987. I thought that team was going to win it all as well. That was a hard one to stomach too. Losing a SB is right up there also. But being that we were trailing most of the game, I didn't have the same let down as 1990. I'll never forgive Roger Craig. I know that sounds harsh but as a kid, I was so excited about the thought of us being the first franchise to win three SBs in a row. And the fact I thought we had the game won...broke my little sports heart. We would have definitely beaten the Bills...no doubt in my mind. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

As sports fan period, 1990 was as gutted as I've been. First time I shed tears as a sports fan. I was definitely hurt we lost to the Vikings in 1987. I thought that team was going to win it all as well. That was a hard one to stomach too. Losing a SB is right up there also. But being that we were trailing most of the game, I didn't have the same let down as 1990. I'll never forgive Roger Craig. I know that sounds harsh but as a kid, I was so excited about the thought of us being the first franchise to win three SBs in a row. And the fact I thought we had the game won...broke my little sports heart. We would have definitely beaten the Bills...no doubt in my mind. 

I often think about how the 90 49ers would of done against that 90 Bills team. Those two teams were always so close but could never end up facing each other. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 49ers2015 said:

I often think about how the 90 49ers would of done against that 90 Bills team. Those two teams were always so close but could never end up facing each other. 

If Craig doesn't fumble and the 49ers hold on, Steve Young would have had to start the very next week. That 1990 Bills team was great, and even though Young had starting experience that would have been a tall order. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If Craig doesn't fumble and the 49ers hold on, Steve Young would have had to start the very next week. That 1990 Bills team was great, and even though Young had starting experience that would have been a tall order. 

I think Young would have gotten it done. His legs would have been a added element to the offense that I think would have given that Bills defense a hard time to contain. Young always looked good when he had to step in for Joe. I dont think playing in a SB, with two weeks to prepare would have been any different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Young would have gotten it done. His legs would have been a added element to the offense that I think would have given that Bills defense a hard time to contain. Young always looked good when he had to step in for Joe. I dont think playing in a SB, with two weeks to prepare would have been any different. 

It would have been one week prep time. Certainly would have been interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Maybe. They lost to the Bills that same year though in week 2 at home in a down to the wire shootout. Toss up I'd say. 

I remember that game clearly. I believe there were no punts in that game. Young and Kelly always seem to have shootouts even in their USFL days. 

I also enjoyed the destruction of the Giants in the 93 divisional game. That was glorious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, burlow said:

 

3 - Colin.  I know that there are people on here that will defend him and he was talented, cannot deny that, but he felt like a metastasizing tumor on the team.  He had no regard for people other than himself, pulling a lot of this from the events between him and Aldon.  People have stated about the talent drop after Harbaugh, there is a chance that Aldon does not spiral out of control and we would not have a negative spot light on the team without colin.  There is a reason he is not in the league and Smith is still under contract.

I maintain that we should have traded him instead of Alex... 11 was a proven commodity to us, and just imagine the haul Kaep would have landed us in the trade market 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, adamq said:

I maintain that we should have traded him instead of Alex... 11 was a proven commodity to us, and just imagine the haul Kaep would have landed us in the trade market 

That's the way I would have preferred it...alas, it did not. Alex has endured SOOOOOO much as a player. And he has to endure so much more in his continuing rehab. He really should just retire.

Kaep too, but that's because he really wasn't much more than an athlete. Didn't care to develop the cerebral aspects of a QB. Too much gym, not enough film.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's the way I would have preferred it...alas, it did not. Alex has endured SOOOOOO much as a player. And he has to endure so much more in his continuing rehab. He really should just retire.

Kaep too, but that's because he really wasn't much more than an athlete. Didn't care to develop the cerebral aspects of a QB. Too much gym, not enough film.

 

I think if they would of stuck with Alex they would of won the SB. When I think of 49er QB's I often think how Smith was the next hope in that great line of QB's. I respected him so much. Yes Harbs made Smith better but he also created Kap. Sure Kap had a good game against the bears that Monday night, but it wasn't so amazing to where you had to stick with him. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Playoff loss to Minnesota in 1987. I still hate Joey Browner and Anthony Carter but respect them. 

2. 1990 title game. I still hate the Giants to this day. 

3. 2012 NFC title game loss to the Giants. 

The losses to the Cowboys and the Packers in the playoffs in the 90s were agony but the top three broke my frickin' heart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 49ers2015 said:

 

I think if they would of stuck with Alex they would of won the SB. When I think of 49er QB's I often think how Smith was the next hope in that great line of QB's. I respected him so much. Yes Harbs made Smith better but he also created Kap. Sure Kap had a good game against the bears that Monday night, but it wasn't so amazing to where you had to stick with him. 

I was never the biggest Alex Smith fan but sometimes I do wonder what if he had ran the last series in the SB for us? He was top 3 if not the best QB in the red zone and we all knew that once the field shorten, Kaep tend to struggle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's the way I would have preferred it...alas, it did not. Alex has endured SOOOOOO much as a player. And he has to endure so much more in his continuing rehab. He really should just retire.

Kaep too, but that's because he really wasn't much more than an athlete. Didn't care to develop the cerebral aspects of a QB. Too much gym, not enough film.

This rhetoric still won't die eh? :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...