Kwon Alexander out for season

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, nayad said:

I want

I assumed he wanted to keep his mental health and that his silicon valley investments had him financially set up for the rest of his life

He told a story about his rookie season and how he was talking to Eric Heitman during his first OTAs. He was playing poorly and was worried he would get cut (lol). Eric then told him that he was the 11th overall pick and that he wasn't getting cut before his rookie season. Willis immediately asked him 'ok, how do I know when its time to retire?" Eric laughed at him and said, "damn rookie, why are you asking such weird questions?". Eric then told him that when you know, you know. 

He then said that football was always a passion for him. He wasn't in it for the money or the fame (although the paychecks were nice) "yall heard my pregame speeches, I meant that. I always told everyone to give it everything they had. I gave football everything I had on every play. I did that my whole life and it got to a point when I knew I couldn't give it everything I had anymore" Then he talked about how he always saw all of these old vets with mangled hands and walking hunched over with terrible limps. He was like 'even former qbs bodies were all messed up and they could barely move'. Then he says 'my body was telling me things, after all the injuries I sustained in my life" Then he looks down at his feet, touches his wrist, touches his right shoulder and says 'I didn't want to end up like those guys, and my body was telling me things. I had to listen to my body and the fact that I didn't have the same passion anymore. I owed it to the fans, I owed it to my teammates, I owed it to myself to not be out there if my heart wasn't in it. Plus, it was time to let those guys step up into their own. It was time for Bow to be the man, ereid, it was time for all those guys to step up and make it their team' 

I almost cried lol 

WE NEVER GOT TO SAY GOODBYE

• Like 6

damn, thats awesome but tragic at the same time. Thanks for sharing. 

I saw Larry Allen a couple years back right after he made the HOF, and that dude had similar characteristics you (52) described. I wish there was an espn body issue that highlighted these retired gladiators and the injuries they have to deal with regularly just so its clear how f---ed up they really get. 

I respect the players that call it quits, if their bodies start breaking down. Tough enough to get into your late 30's-40's having not played a down of pro ball. Playing at that level for several years could be brutal.. and having all that money can lose its luster if you have to live in constant pain, have trouble with normal functioning, or start adding up concussions. 

• Like 2

I am curious to see what Al-Shaair can do. He didn't look that bad in the preseason from what I heard.

Losing Kwon sucks. Apparently he had a 81.3 coverage grade, tied for fifth best among off-ball linebackers and his passer rating allowed of 67.4 ranked second (minimum 100-plus coverage snaps) according to PFF. Aye.

Edited by PapaShogun