WR upgrade

Ty21

19 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Glennon trying to run bootlegs looks like an injured giraffe getting chased down and brutally slaughtered by a pack of lions.

at 40 seconds.  

Someone should let Glennon know his best defense is long strides.  He could learn a thing or two from this giraffe.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They haven't

They  are excited about an UDFA who showed something in a position group devoid of talent and upside.

There are two types of Bears fans on FF.

1)  The fans that allow themselves to get moderately excited about a player who has some talent.

2)  The fans that use hyperbole to show how ridiculous the other bears fans are for having any sort of optimism at all.

17 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

There are two types of Bears fans on FF.

1)  The fans that allow themselves to get moderately excited about a player who has some talent.

2)  The fans that use hyperbole to show how ridiculous the other bears fans are for having any sort of optimism at all.

Sorry, but I'll believe Gentry is something when I see it.

How many of these undradted WR6/WR7s over the past ten years have been something? Cam Meredith showed he could be a starter. That's it. I'm playing the odds here. Meredith is the exception, not the rule.

Gentry is most likely not a WR1 or WR2. At best, he's another WR3 on a depth chart full of WR3s. Big deal.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

How many of these undradted WR6/WR7s over the past ten years have been something? Cam Meredith showed he could be a starter. That's it. I'm playing the odds here. Meredith is the exception, not the rule.

Gentry is most likely not a WR1 or WR2. At best, he's another WR3 on a depth chart full of WR3s. Big deal.

Right now the WR core is made up of KR and special teamers.

I will take another WR3.

Well, the WR corps is composed of WR3s, less than WR3s, and RBs, so another WR3 is at the very least depth.

I was very confused about Gentry getting waived initially after showing good moves in practice; hopefully whatever led them to cut him can be worked on.

Mario Alford, no idea but I think the Bears are best off rolling the dice and seeing what these players are capable (since they don't really have any other options)  

I would be highly critical of any trade at this point; giving up draft capital or a starting player would be silly in a season where it's unlikely for contetion. 

3 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Yet again no one is saying he is a #1 or a #2, he is an end of the chart receiver. 

I have started to think about how you fix the WR core moving forward to ensure that Trubisky has talent around him in 2018 and beyond. The Eagles did it this season be adding a number of weapons to support Wentz after his rookie season.

Obviously nothing is happening this season.

Priorities

-I think with the accuracy and timing of Trubisky that the Bears can prioritize speed and play-making ability over size. Because of Cutler's inaccuracy and willingness to chuck it up in the past the Bears have put a premium on size, often at the detriment of speed.

-Obviously durability needs to come into the conversation a little more.

-The Bears need outside WRs, more than slot guys right now, and this is why evaluating Wright is going to be so important. At 27 he could be a long term slot guy, but he needs to produce now that he is going to get more targets.

Depth Chart Moving Forward

1. Meredith, hoping that he recovers fully and in time for the season, but counting on him to fill the top role is a risk.

4. Wright, I think he will be worth keeping, but I am hesitant to pencil him into a primary role.

5. Gentry, I am not sure what he will do this season, but an ability to run deep routes and track the ball must be developed.

6. Bellamy, he will never be cut.

Wheaton, I just do not know if he is worth keeping after the guarantees run out this season. He was injured in Pittsburgh and has been injured here. The Bears need more reliability so that Trubisky can develop with these guys.

White, if people think he is going to be something moving forward or that he can even be relied on to make it through week 1 they are crazy. I know his money is guaranteed, but I doubt he makes the team knowing he will be on IR quickly.

Thoughts

1. I think the Bears need an unquestioned starter on the outside from either the draft or free agency. I would lean towards someone with the speed to get deep and create big plays.

2. I think the Bears need a matchup issue in the slot or that can be moved around.

3. I am reluctant to use a 1st round pick on a WR. The risk/return is often not good, as we have seen with Kevin White, but the 2nd round is where I would be targeting someone to come in and contribute.

4. I think they HAVE to address the position with a starting free agent player. This covers them in the event that Meredith is injured, or the draft pick is not ready to play right away. I am looking for a young and reliable veteran.

-Allen Robinson: There were rumors he was getting tagged and now the ACL throws everything into chaos.

-Jarvis Landry: I like the player, I like what he might do with an accurate passer in the middle of the field, but off field and contract concerns will factor in.

-Sammy Watkins: way to unreliable for me.

-Terrelle Pryor: love the size and speed, not sure about the mental make up.

-Donte Moncrief: hurt last season, but produced 7 TDs in 7 starts and has size and speed.

-Jordan Matthews: big and reliable, but no dynamic speed.

-John Brown: not big and some injuries, but the dude can flat out fly down the field

My Ideal WR Core for 2018

1. Cam Meredith 

2. Paris Campbell [2nd Round]

3. Donte Moncrief [FA-4 years 28 million]

4. Wright

5. Gentry

6. Bellamy

I think that adds speed and much better depth.

On 9/12/2017 at 0:15 PM, IronMike84 said:

Where in the world have you seen any single person say he's more than a WR3?  The people who have optimism for him think he has a good rapport with Trubisky and has some talent.  Thats not saying he's going to come in and set the world on fire because he's so skilled.  Again, you are proving my second point, in that some of the fans here feel like any sort of optimism about any player needs to be immediately squashed like a bug, no matter how miniscule expectations are.

7 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Where in the world have you seen any single person say he's more than a WR3?  The people who have optimism for him think he has a good rapport with Trubisky and has some talent.

Nobody said verbatim that he would be a WR1 or WR2, but every other receiver on this not-so-great depth chart has already been completely written off in favor of Tanner Gentry solely because he hasn't yet had a chance to falter. There's definitely some foolishness to that rationale.

Archived