Best Credit Cards (rewards/perks)

Art_Vandalay

I'm in that life stage where I'm starting to be extra frugal and looking any way to save money. Anyone have a favorite credit card that they use for sweet rewards?

My fav: Chase Southwest credit card - They have a deal where if you accumulate 110,000 points (they're upping it to 125,000 in 2020... lame) you're granted a companion pass. This basically means you're allowed to choose one other person that can fly with you for free. They offer five different cards (two apply to business owners only). What I did a couple years ago was apply for two (Plus and Premier), spent the required $1000 in the first 3 months on each card so I could get the 40,000 reward points for each which allowed me to reach 110,000 points rather easily. When you achieve the Companion pass, it's good for the rest of the calendar year along with the following year (Hint: time it so you get it early in the calendar year). My wife and I haven't paid for a [Southwest] flight in two years. I just cancelled mine and now she's going to apply for it so we can do it all over again. And obviously this should go without saying, but this only has value if you're able to pay off the credit card right away.

Anyone have a personal favorite credit card like this?

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

None! /daveramsey

But for real, I just use my bank credit card and collect the crappy reward points.

I get what Ramsey is talking about but as long as you're disciplined with them (pay it off and don't buy material things with points in mind), you'd be crazy not to get one. I'm paying $1600 per month for daycare. If I'm only using a credit card for that, that's still a ton of points/free money

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I get what Ramsey is talking about but as long as you're disciplined with them (pay it off and don't buy material things with points in mind), you'd be crazy not to get one. I'm paying $1600 per month for daycare. If I'm only using a credit card for that, that's still a ton of points/free money

Yup, I’m a truck driver and use my credit card to purchase my fuel. I spend $30k+ in fuel a year so mind as well take advantage of some cash back points. I forget what my perks are on my credit card though, could probably find one with better rewards for fuel. I don’t think Dave Ramsey’s target audience is financially discipline people either.

Edited by Neumatic

I currently just use my Marriott Card. I travel a lot for work so I have a ton of points right now. One of these days (Fall 20 or Summer 21) I plan on taking a nice long personal vacation with the ridiculous amount of points that I have.

But I have looked at getting something different. If you haven't checked it out, I suggest looking at the Reddit sub r/churning.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, Art_Vandalay said:

I'm in that life stage where I'm starting to be extra frugal and looking any way to save money. Anyone have a favorite credit card that they use for sweet rewards?

My fav: Chase Southwest credit card - They have a deal where if you accumulate 110,000 points (they're upping it to 125,000 in 2020... lame) you're granted a companion pass. This basically means you're allowed to choose one other person that can fly with you for free. They offer five different cards (two apply to business owners only). What I did a couple years ago was apply for two (Plus and Premier), spent the required $1000 in the first 3 months on each card so I could get the 40,000 reward points for each which allowed me to reach 110,000 points rather easily. When you achieve the Companion pass, it's good for the rest of the calendar year along with the following year (Hint: time it so you get it early in the calendar year). My wife and I haven't paid for a [Southwest] flight in two years. I just cancelled mine and now she's going to apply for it so we can do it all over again. And obviously this should go without saying, but this only has value if you're able to pay off the credit card right away.

Anyone have a personal favorite credit card like this?

The subreddit /r/churning has in depth guides on how to maximize reward points by taking advantage of sign up and minimum spend offers.

• Like 1