Greatest Football Games of All Time

BayRaider

We are dying for a good football game right? Been such a long time since the 2004-2006 Golden Era. Thought I’d make this thread to discuss. 

1. NFL 2K5 (PS2/XBOX)

9.7/10

So this game was perfect for it’s time and IMO still is a better game than any Madden today. It’s presentation is completely unmatched by any sports games ever. The SportsCenter during Franchise was GOAT levels of presentation. Gameplay was amazing with much more realistic motions and animations than Madden. This was a true sim football game. 

2. ESPN NFL 2K4 (PS2/XBOX) 

9.6/10

Very similar with 2K5 but a lot of people prefer the gameplay in 2K4 and this is the GOAT gameplay football game. Just that the presentation is much better in 2K5, being the best presentation sports game of our generation. 

3. Madden 2005 (PS2/XBOX)

9.5/10

This was game was utterly amazing and the GOAT Madden. They completely revamped defense with defensive hot routes and introduced the hit-stick. I don’t even have an issue for anyone who wants to put this at #1. Ahhh, what competition does for companies right? The Franchise mode was utterly amazing. I for one massively loved the Newspaper, Radio Show, Position Battles, and Training Camp. 

4. NCAA 04 (PS2/XBOX)

9.5/10

The GOAT NCAA game imo. I spent more hours on this game than any football game ever. And probably #2 all time to Pokemon Silver for Gameboy Color lol. I was hooked on this.

5. Madden 2004 (PS2/XBOX)

9.4/10

A fantastic installment by EA that had great gameplay and amazing franchise mode. 

6.  NCAA 06 (PS2/XBOX)

9.4/10

Another absolutely fantastic NCAA installment and arguably the best by many eyes after a great 04 game and average 05 game. 

7. Madden 06 (PS2/XBOX)

9.3/10

This is where the Golden Era ends. Can you believe the first seven games on this list are all from 2004 to 2006? Pretty nuts. It’s like the Attitude Era from wresting. Madden 06 was the last great football franchise mode we have seen. It’s been nearly 14 years. 

(Didn’t include 360 version cause that game was rushed trash)

8. NCAA 11 (PS3/360)

8.7/10

The last great NCAA game imo. Probably the last great football game period....

9. Madden 99 (PS1)

8.9/10

Yes I have this rated higher than the last game, because it was an amazing game for it’s time, although not a better game. Madden 99 first introduced us to Franchise Mode. A mode that would quickly be adopted by all sports games and become the most popular mode in sports. 

10. ESPN NFL 2K3 (PS2/XBOX)

9.2/10

Fantastic game and another solid 2K installment. 

Honorable Mentions:

NFL 2K2 (Dreamcast) 

9.2/10

This was the last one with Moss on the cover and the last one on Dreamcast. Amazing game, spent a ton of time on this one. 

NFL Gameday 97 (PS1)

No Rating

This game really kicked off sports games during the new era of PlayStation. 

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

No Rating

One of the funnest football games to play, even to this date. One of the great originals. 

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

No rating for Tecmo Superbowl is disturbing. 

I refuse to comment further. 

Hard to rate games from that long ago which is why I didn’t. It should be rated really high but that also gets confusing since it’s not on par with games like 2K5 and Madden 2005. So, how do you rate just “fun”? It’s difficult.