Week 9 Texans vs Jags in London

lumberjackchris

Gotta give it up for O'Brien and his staff this week.  Exceptional gameplan executed to perfection despite garbage LT's.  Defense stepped up big time despite lack of pass rush (Scarlett did generate some).  Getting early lead and shutting Fournette down were huge. 

Btw - time to also give it up for BOb the GM.  Where would we be without Stills, Hyde, Duke, and Conley today?  Loved seeing BBC back with us.  Never understood why we cut him. Dude is a solid nickel.  Anger has been a huge improvement and being patient with Kaime thru rough patch was right move. 

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 3

Finally a comfortable win where we're not sitting on pins and needles. Credit Romeo Crennel for a good game plan and OB not wetting the bed with his usual lackluster play calling. 

Bye week couldn't come soon enough, we definitely need to get healthy if we expect to have any chance at the playoffs. 

Solid win 

• Like 1

Even I’ll give it up for the coaching staff in this one. This was BIG time.

our secondary is bad but they stepped up when needed today. Getting guys back healthy will be a big deal for us. 

we are looking at anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4 finish to the season. 

also love that Watson is getting lots of MVP Hype. He deserves it. 

Great coaching today. Game plan was on point.

My two biggest takeaways from this game though are Howard and Conley. Jags have had one of the top pass rushes and Howard was going against Campbell most of the game and yet he was rock solid. I don't know if he ever even gave up a pressure (at least not when the ball came out on time). That was one thing that we needed to know. Is he a guard or a RT. He's shown to be pretty good at guard and now has shown he can do RT (obviously only 1 game but still). That gives us more freedom to get the best lineman available in the draft or a FA we like because we aren't locked into needing the tackle spot. Conley looked really good at corner. even just one corner that we can rely on is huge. Especially for a team that wants to win now we can't really rely on a draft pick at that position to just come in an be good enough and good FA corners rarely hit the market. If Lonnie can continue to improve and we resign Roby then our corners may not be a liability. Not great but not a liability. Maybe draft a slot corner (personally I love Essang Bassey from Wake) and we have a real chance.

The bad news is what I feared and that is that our pass rush with Watt out is an issue. We did nothing the first half and while we did show a bit in the 2nd half it still wasn't much. Mercilus is a great 2nd rush option but when the offense can key on him as the #1 threat I don't think he has it. Our line doesn't really have an guys proficient at rushing and Scarlet is more a jack of all trades but master of none. Ejiofor is really our only pass rush guy other than Watt and Mercilus and he is out too. I really think in all our talk about offensive line and corner we have severely underestimated our need to get a better pass rusher this offseason.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I really think in all our talk about offensive line and corner we have severely underestimated our need to get a better pass rusher this offseason.

To be fair though it wasn’t really an issue all offseason. Just became one once Clowney got traded.

However, they knew they were going to trade him for a while so they should have planned accordingly and assuming Watt was going to stay healthy all season was foolishly optimistic.

• Like 1