Week 10 Poll Discussions/1st CFP Rankings

naptownskinsfan

7 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

With LSU-Alabama and Ohiost-Pennst having to eventually face each other I wonder if both losing teams could possibly still get the vote over and undefeated Clemson 

As much as it may be deserving, I can't see it. Clemson's schedule is a joke and they did have that huge scare but it's a name and returning champ. They've looked better lately but still.... I'll be watching out for those two Pac12 teams! Don't think either will leap a one loss SEC team up there but we'll see how it plays out

19 minutes ago, BigD88 said:

I don’t get Georgia above Oregon.

Oregon has had scares against weak teams and a quality loss with no real quality win as it looks now. Georgia lost to a weak team but has a much better quality win and a win that looks less impressive now. It's not like they're light years apart either. I don't see a big gripe but to each their own

Edited by JTagg7754

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Oregon has had scares against weak teams and a quality loss with no real quality win as it looks now. Georgia lost to a weak team but has a much better quality win and a win that looks less impressive now. It's not like they're light years apart either. I don't see a big gripe but to each their own

I mean, their big loss was against a third string quarterback... just like their big win. Meanwhile Oregon loses a nail biter to a much stronger team than SCAR while missing their entire 2-deep WR corps.

I just find that annoying.

The winner of Bama/LSU will vault to #1 this week.

If/When Clemson wins out, they're in.

The winner of OSU/PSU, assuming neither stumbles until then, will likely be #2, maybe vault to #1.

(That takes care of the Top 5)

Georgia at #6 is interesting, and I think the committee is sending the message that if they win out and beat LSU/Bama in the SEC TItle game, they're in. That makes, IMO, it very likely that the loser of the Bama/LSU game this week the odd man out unless they were to get blown out by UGA in the SEC Title game. Granted, we'll see how the committee balances their inconsistent logic in this area in years past (see: 2014 TCU/Baylor in head to head, 2015 OSU as one of the 4 best teams and getting left out, 2016 Ohio State with a 1 loss OSU to a 2 loss PSU, 2017 Alabama not winning their own division and making it, the discussion of a 2 loss UGA last year over a 1 loss OSU/OU despite their logic in 2016 that OSU got the nod over PSU despite PSU's head to head win AND Conference Championship, holding that "2nd loss" against them). UGA also has the worst loss of any team in the Top 6.

Oregon and Utah both over OU is really the interesting message that was sent. Essentially, OU is LIKELY DONE unless you somehow have a 2 loss Bama/LSU or Penn State/OSU or Oregon/Utah stumbles again outside of their head to head game.

If Minnesota/Baylor win out, they'll be in (I don't think anyone believes this will happen), but that would effectively mean the Gophers beat BOTH OSU AND PSU and Baylor would have to beat OU twice in the last 4 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if PSU/OSU loser, if it's a close loss, will rebound and make it into the CFP or if that will automatically go to the "second best" SEC team (likely this).

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Top 6: 

1- Ohio State 

2- LSU

3- Alabama 

4- Penn State

5- Clemson

6- Georgia 

what's the take?

well, one conference will definitely send 2 teams. Likely the SEC unless Alabama loses to Auburn and LSU and LSU beats Georgia and Alabama.

If that happens, Ohio State could lose to Penn State and still make it. But they probably have to win out.

Same with Penn State. Winner of the B1G is in.

Clemson just has to win.

Georgia at 6 really doesn't have to look at anyone. Win out and they are in. Not only that, but they would probably leapfrog Clemson, LSU and Alabama. Georgia at 12-1 is the probable #2 seed.

Considering that Clemson does not play a ranked team all year, they will most likely win out and finish at #4.

brutal scenario:

Bama beats LSU

UGA beats Bama

Penn State beats OSU

Clemson wins out