Week 10 Poll Discussions/1st CFP Rankings

naptownskinsfan

18 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Considering that Clemson does not play a ranked team all year, they will most likely win out and finish at #4 

I’m curious to see how this plays out. Clemson is going to win out in the ACC and probably decisively. I am just assuming that the winner of LSU versus Alabama will probably be the number one in the end of the season. And let’s assume that Ohio State wins out. My guess is that a second SEC school is the fourth team. Would they put the second school as the number four seed, playing the other SEC school, or would SEC #2 really stay above Clemson? Personally, I would rather see the two SEC schools play in the first round so we don’t have to stomach another potential inner conference championship game. Put Clemson up against the Big Ten rep in a 2/3 matchup again. But obviously the committee has made a statement about how they feel about Clemson, and I would not be surprised I guess if the second SEC school does still stay above Clemson. 

I do think that the narrative of two potential SEC schools in the playoffs over any other conference having that chance is interesting. The conference has 5 teams that are ranked, all of which are in the top 11. The Big Ten has 6 teams that are ranked, all in the top 18. The SEC is stronger at the top according to the rankings, including three in the top 6. So, looking at the top 4, I get it to an extent. But you do have two top four teams coming from the Big Ten and what the committee perceives at least to be a strong conference based on rankings. If the loser of the Penn State-Ohio State game loses by a few points, they lost to a top 4 team, right? I’m not sure it would happen, but I’m not really sure why these teams wouldn’t get the same consideration that the loser of the Alabama-LSU game, or the SEC championship game would get.

And for the record, I am not a proponent of the Big Ten or any conference getting two teams and conference champions from other major conferences are not getting a playoff team. Win your conference. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

If you don’t win your conference you shouldn’t be in the playoff imo.

This is just one of so many reasons why we need an 8 team playoff.

5 automatic conference champs with 3 at large in years where Clemson skates by with an easy schedule and the SEC/B1G clearly has 2 great teams, and the PAC gets a team for playing in a tough conference.

The "eye test" and "4 best teams" rationale is flawed.

There will still be some ambiguity, but 5 are cut/dry.

ACC: Clemson

B1G: OSU/PSU/Minnesota (I laughed as well)

SEC: UGA/LSU/Bama

Big XII: Baylor/OU

PAC: Oregon/Utah

3 At Large: Either a 1 loss OSU/PSU, the best remaining SEC Team, and a third spot up for grabs in a situation where UGA/Bama/LSU all have 1 loss or the best remaining team elsewhere in the nation

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

5 automatic conference champs with 3 at large in years where Clemson skates by with an easy schedule and the SEC/B1G clearly has 2 great teams, and the PAC gets a team for playing in a tough conference.

3 At Large: Either a 1 loss OSU/PSU, the best remaining SEC Team, and a third spot up for grabs in a situation where UGA/Bama/LSU all have 1 loss or the best remaining team elsewhere in the nation

I agree 8 is the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’m curious to see how this plays out. Clemson is going to win out in the ACC and probably decisively. I am just assuming that the winner of LSU versus Alabama will probably be the number one in the end of the season. And let’s assume that Ohio State wins out. My guess is that a second SEC school is the fourth team. Would they put the second school as the number four seed, playing the other SEC school, or would SEC #2 really stay above Clemson? Personally, I would rather see the two SEC schools play in the first round so we don’t have to stomach another potential inner conference championship game. Put Clemson up against the Big Ten rep in a 2/3 matchup again. But obviously the committee has made a statement about how they feel about Clemson, and I would not be surprised I guess if the second SEC school does still stay above Clemson. 

If Alabama loses to LSU I don't think they will stay above Clemson.

In fact if Alabama loses to LSU, I'm not sure they will make the playoff.

If LSU loses, they will get the 2016 OSU treatment imo and finish still at 2/3 unless UGA wins the SEC. UGA is really the wild card because they won't put 3 SEC teams in. 

But Alabama has to win this game imo. If they lose and finish 11-1 not sure they even have many arguments over OU/UO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I would adjust the 5 Automatic Conference champs to being 5 highest ranked conference champs, to include to Group of 5 conferences.  This is to keep an 8-4 barely ranked team that upset a true contender in a conference championship game from automatically making it in if a team like Cincinnati who might be top 12 winning the AAC and would be more deserving.  I would then do one spot for the highest ranked Independent team ranked #12 or higher giving them a chance to also make it in.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I do think that the narrative of two potential SEC schools in the playoffs over any other conference having that chance is interesting. The conference has 5 teams that are ranked, all of which are in the top 11. The Big Ten has 6 teams that are ranked, all in the top 18. The SEC is stronger at the top according to the rankings, including three in the top 6. So, looking at the top 4, I get it to an extent. But you do have two top four teams coming from the Big Ten and what the committee perceives at least to be a strong conference based on rankings. If the loser of the Penn State-Ohio State game loses by a few points, they lost to a top 4 team, right? I’m not sure it would happen, but I’m not really sure why these teams wouldn’t get the same consideration that the loser of the Alabama-LSU game, or the SEC championship game would get.

And for the record, I am not a proponent of the Big Ten or any conference getting two teams and conference champions from other major conferences are not getting a playoff team. Win your conference. 

If it's Ohio State that somehow loses then they'd get consideration to make it in. Penn State (as much as it pains me) wouldn't. Mostly because of the longstanding reputation of greatness that's been earned over their history that Penn State has far far less of. tl;dr Pedigree.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff, but I don't personally feel it's necessary. All for it if it does happen though. But really you have a problem with any number it's always those fringe teams that are arguing with the teams that don't make. There's always going to be a bubble somewhere. 

I think 6 teams would be good so you can give the top 2 teams a bye. 

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff, but I don't personally feel it's necessary. All for it if it does happen though. But really you have a problem with any number it's always those fringe teams that are arguing with the teams that don't make. There's always going to be a bubble somewhere. 

I’ve said all along a 4 team playoff automatically leaves someone out from another conference though. Let’s be honest, this year the difference between teams 1-5 is extremely small. The same for 2015 and 2018.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think 6 teams would be good so you can give the top 2 teams a bye. 

I’m also all for 6. 5 guaranteed and 1 at large with 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

OSU as #1 over LSU is the biggest joke since watching Jim Tomsula pretend to be a head coach.

I can see both sides. LSU has looked excellent on offense but struggled on defense at times. Their close win against Texas looks like trash now though. OSU hasn't played anyone except Wisconsin and arguably Cincy. They've absolutely dominated every aspect of every game though. It all really doesn't matter right now anyway.