Week 10 Poll Discussions/1st CFP Rankings

naptownskinsfan

An 8 team playoff could really invigorate the bowl season.  Start bowl season with the 4 round 1 games, then wait 2 weeks for the semi-finals, and then 2 weeks to the final.  In between the playoff games you sprinkle in the other bowl games putting the biggest ones in the playoff off weeks so there are good games every weekend for 5 straight weeks culminating in the national championship.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

An 8 team playoff could really invigorate the bowl season.  Start bowl season with the 4 round 1 games, then wait 2 weeks for the semi-finals, and then 2 weeks to the final.  In between the playoff games you sprinkle in the other bowl games putting the biggest ones in the playoff off weeks so there are good games every weekend for 5 straight weeks culminating in the national championship.

Rose, Orange, and Sugar Bowls would never go for that. The Fiesta likely wouldn't either.

57 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Rose, Orange, and Sugar Bowls would never go for that. The Fiesta likely wouldn't either.

Then they are no longer the playoffs.

Eliminate 4 scrub bowls...have every bowl game we are accustomed to...Then add the playoffs as something different.

Not like their would be a struggle to get sponsors or venues for the playoffs

6 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Then they are no longer the playoffs.

Eliminate 4 scrub bowls...have every bowl game we are accustomed to...Then add the playoffs as something different.

Not like their would be a struggle to get sponsors or venues for the playoffs

Then they wouldn't have the premiere bowl matchups. Again, they won't go for that.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

While there would need to be some bones thrown at some of the bigger bowl sponsors, 8 teams is probably the best field, at least in my opinion and how I would set it up.  I would have the Power Five champions, a Group of Five champion voted in, as well as two wild cards that are voted in, and then seeded 1-8 based on the committee's criteria.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While there would need to be some bones thrown at some of the bigger bowl sponsors, 8 teams is probably the best field, at least in my opinion and how I would set it up.  I would have the Power Five champions, a Group of Five champion voted in, as well as two wild cards that are voted in, and then seeded 1-8 based on the committee's criteria.  

I think the best answer would be the 5 highest ranked Conference Champs/Independent get an auto bid. So for this year for example it would be:

#1-Ohio State

#2-LSU

#5-Clemson

#7-Oregon

#9-Oklahoma

As the 5 auto bid teams with the current rankings.  For 2018 we'd have:

#1-Alabama

#2-Clemson

#3-Notre Dame

#5-Oklahoma

#6-Ohio State

2017 would have:

#1-Clemson

#2-Oklahoma

#3-Georgia

#5-Ohio State

#8-USC

2016 Would have:

#1-Alabama

#2-Clemson

#3-Ohio State

#4-UW

#7-Oklahoma

#9-USC

2015:

#1-Clemson

#2-Alabama

#3-Michigan State

#4-Oklahoma

#6-Stanford

2014:

#1-Alabama

#2-Oregon

#3-Florida State

#4-Ohio State

#5-Baylor

Those would be the automatic top 5 conference champs.  If a year comes where a Notre Dame, or a Group of 5 team ends the season with a higher ranking than a Power 5 school they get the nod.  Then the final 3 spots are at large bids.

So before today, Minnesota didn't beat anyone although they were undefeated and were deservedly ranked at #17... now that they dominated Penn State where do you think they'll end up?  Top 10 for sure, but do they even up Oregon/Utah etc?

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

So before today, Minnesota didn't beat anyone although they were undefeated and were deservedly ranked at #17... now that they dominated Penn State where do you think they'll end up?  Top 10 for sure, but do they even up Oregon/Utah etc?

My guess is it they are a spot behind those two teams and might ascend again with a win over Iowa?

56 minutes ago, Raves said:

Minnesota will drop in the rankings because they barely beat a team that lost to Minnesota.