Chargers vs. Broncos MNF

DingoLadd

I actually think you guys have a better shot than a lot of people are giving you credit for.  Right now, sight unseen of any extended look at how much of a difference McDonald's influence on the Broncos defense is going to be (yes, I know Joe Woods was the "heir apparent" to Wade and he's now DC, but he's never called plays, never had to make those big decisions when the game is on the line or time is a limited commodity, and we don't know how short his leash from McDonald is going to be) versus what I've already seen of Bradley's defense with the Chargers (in-person) and the influence Lynn has had already, I can definitely see a scenario where the Chargers get out to an early lead and Denver's offense just doesn't have it in them to mount the comeback (particularly if they end up having to lean on the passing game and the front-7 can pin their ears back).

TBH if this game was at LA and you had ILB Perryman, you'd be favorites.    It's a bad break we don't have Shane Ray with us, but you guys losing Forrest Lamp, and having a new OL having to gel for week 1, and no Perryman, those are bigger breaks for us.   Bosa/Ingram vs. our T's is your biggest strength on D, and your run game and MGIII vs. our bad run D which Elway somehow didn't look to upgrade further after missing out on the top 2 3-4 DE's in Calais Campbell and Chris Baker, is another key mismatch for your O.    If we can force you to get to obvious passing downs, that works in our favor with the No Fly Zone, while our own run game needs to be established to keep Bosa/Ingram from pinning their ears back and trying to kill our QB (Siemian isn't great, but the guys behind him are waaaay worse, so amazingly enough, he might be our most important piece to winning 2017 games).  Our T's are very vulnerable to getting beat in pass pro, but our run OL play should be a lot better, so that's probably the plan on our side.   DT vs. Hayward is likely the key matchup, I suspect Verrett will get Sanders most of the time, and matches up well - DT has had some success vs. Hayward in the GB-DEN and DEN home game (that @SD game was a disaster all around).

Either way, it should be a really good cipher of where both teams sit in the ultra-competitive AFC West.  If you guys had gone BPA at 1.7 instead of Mike Williams, I'd have given you a top 3 draft, if not the top draft (hard to top what CLE did).   But either way your GM Telesco has nailed 2 straight drafts, your team arrow is pointing straight up.  Should be a fun game. 

Some takeaways... 

KA13 seems scared to cut. His route running looks sluggish.

Gates may be slower then Witten at this point.

Whisenhunt thinks this is the 90's running out of the shotgun as often as he does.

Gus Bradley is about as aggressive as Greg Manusky.

Offensive line is even worse then expected.

Takeaways.

-Defense is really good and we are going to have one of the best pass-rush in the league.

-Keenan looked a tad rusty. He was short of the sticks a couple time and had a couple uncharacteristic drops. 

-Offensive gameplan was a joke. Maybe the team was scarred from the last time they played in Mile High or they just think Siemian is crap, but you can't play like it is 1970 and expect to win football games. 

-JV had some rough moments in the run game, but his coverage was excellent. Casey was a bit up and down, but Thomas is a tough guy to handle.

Overall, it was a typical Chargers loss on MNF. Start slow and come up short in the end. They are going to have to realize that this defense is built to play from ahead. As good as I think they are, they aren't Denver or Seattle, who can win consistently with their offense not doing jack. You have to open it up a bit. 

It took Lynn over 3 quarters to realize this is Rivers' team. We don't have the Oline to ball control run, just wont work. I really hated the second to last drive, playcalling during that 3 and out was horrible. Also concerned about the 2 minute drill at the end... SOOOO much time wasted there. I think if they would have used the clock better at the end then a TD definitely wasnt out of the question because we had all the momentum. Its as though they just wanted to play for the tie instead of keeping the pedal down and going for the WIN.  Also, and kind of in regards to the late came time management, Rivers needs to get the team lined up and ready quicker. Not sure if he is the one going so slow by trying to read the D too much or if it is slow info coming from the sidelines but I get tired of seeing wasted timeouts early in the first quarter because they can't get the snap off or he gets under center with like 2 sec on the play clock, I'm leaning towards it being Rivers fault because its something he has done for a while.

Garbage offensive game plan the first 3+ quarters. Only when it seemed the game was out of reach Phil did Phil things to bring this team back against a Broncos team that looked like they were blowing it. Many factors contributed to this and it was a terrible game minus a 10 minute stretch. 

Judging by Lynn's comments I expect to see the same garbage next week I would say at home against Miami and not in Denver on Monday night is a more advantageous situation for us and even if I don't believe Miami was as good as their record indicated last season they are certainly a quality team and I'm on guard I'm worried about this team in a way I didn't anticipate being worried and I don't like it. 

Anthony Lynn has dissapointed me for the first, but not the last time. 2-3 more years of disappointment with Lynn to come.Then after those years, Rivers retirement since I really doubt he plays past his age 38 season. 

But at least the defense looks pretty good. 

Archived