Midseason Ravens 2020 Mock

sp6488

A lot of football to be played (both for the NFL and NCAA), but was bored and thought I would put together a quick mock. Obviously a lot of these players' stock will move with the remainder of the season to be played, bowls and the combine. Similarly, we still may learn more about team needs. Still a fun exercise in discussing team needs, potential draft scenarios, etc. I know there's been some discussion of whether Moseley will be a 3rd or 4th round comp, I'm going to assume 3rd, but I'm not sure it's super material to this mock. Also, assuming that the Jets send their 7th as Lewis has played 7 games, starting 4, to this point. 

1.      Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (6’5” 252lbs)

Talented pass rusher who took some time to really get going for Alabama due to injuries. Incredibly high upside edge player. There are a few warts on his draft profile, but that’s why he’s available at the back half of the first round and not a top-5 pick. This is Baltimore’s top need and would be great to see them land a high end talent like Lewis.

2.      Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa (6’5” 322lbs)
Most appear to think he can play either tackle spot at the NFL, but that he fits best at RT. Ravens take him and make him a fixture at LG (as well as swing tackle). Gives the team it’s best option at the spot since KO left in free agency.

3.      Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State (6’1” 194lbs)
I’m thinking that the team exercises Carr’s option, lets Jimmy walk, and makes every effort to extend Peters, although he may be too pricey (although tagging him could make sense). Canady is a free agent as well after this season. No matter what, this season has shown that it’s nearly impossible to have too much depth in the secondary. Wade has the size and length to play outside, but has played safety and the slot as well. Provides more depth across the entire secondary.

3 (comp). Erroll Thompson, ILB, Mississippi State (6’1” 250lbs)

Bynes and Fort have stepped in admirably as mid-season signings, but there’s no saying what their future is after this season. Peanut may come back, but he’s definitely not a Mike. Alaka and Board are very much unknowns. Thompson can play the pass respectably and is a legit prospect at the Mike LB position.

4.      Collin Johnson, WR, Texas (6’5” 220lbs)
Incredible physical gifts that have not translated to dominance at the collegiate level. Even if he doesn’t have the right “it” to develop into an above average NFL WR, (1) he’s worth the roll of the dice given his god-given upside and (2) his size should allow him to provide a plus as a run blocker in the running game.

4 (Pats). Rashard Lawrence, DT, LSU (6’3” 317lbs)

Annual replenishing of the DLine rotation.

4 (comp). Keandre Jones, EDGE, Maryland (6’3” 225lbs)

Highly-regarded HS recruit who couldn’t get on the field at Ohio State. Has shined for the Terps this season after transferring this past summer. Great athlete, who rushes the passer well. Does a good job coming from the backside to snuff out runners and drops into coverage well. His initial struggles to get on the field combined with his lack of ideal size for edge-setting are the reasons he is available this late. Probably too much of a tweener to become an every down player in the NFL, but can provide value as a situational rusher who can also cover TE and drop into zone.

5.      Jeff Thomas, WR, Miami (5’10” 170lbs)
Undersized speedster who lacks great production in college. Will fit in nicely as a style-similar backup to Hollywood. I think Decosta will try to start drafting WR every year to create a pipeline similar to what the Steelers have done in the past (always seeming to have an endless supply of midround draftees who can produce). Has returned punts and kicks for the U.

6.      N/A

7 (Jets conditional).      Kyle Dugger, FS, Lenoir-Rhyne (6’2” 200lbs)
Small school (D2) standout. Throwing darts to a degree when you get to this point in the draft, but he would have a good chance to make the team if Jefferson is released. Would need to show that he can contribute on ST.

• Like 3

I like some of the players and the positions. I won't commend on where the players are picked as we don't know much about how they are rated yet.

Lewis I like as well as Thomas.

Wade could be the allround player that is great in a secondary. We have a lot of injuries at CB this year - what happens next year with contracts will determine the need here, but I think we certainly have to pick a young talent in the middle rounds - especially if we look at Carr as an interchangable safety type.

I think we have the possession type of wide receiver. With Brown out I think it is clear we need more speed. If Chris Moore is suddenly in Harbaughs dog house, we might never see him develop into the receiver he need to be to stay here. 

Jeff Thomas is interesting, but I would like us to add one more of the speed type who works well when the play breaks down and Lamar has to find players down the field while scrambling.

I like a lot of Maryland players this year. I hope we dig into that pool of talent.

Still, having a dominant oline is what we need more than skill players. If we pick late as it seems so far, I really think we should look into a 1. round guard/tackle to take over from Yanda eventually

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No Ravens this weekend. Was bored and thought I would update my previous mock.

1.      Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (6’5” 252lbs)

Same guy I had during the first go-around. Really this is a question of which pass rushers differentiate themselves in the draft prep and when scouts break down film. Talented pass rusher who took some time to really get going for Alabama due to injuries. Incredibly high upside edge player. Decent production for Alabama this season, but definitely flashes top-end traits. As I mentioned previously, there are a few warts on his draft profile, but that’s why he’s available at the back half of the first round and not a top-5 pick. This is Baltimore’s top need and would be great to see them land a high-end talent like Lewis. 

2.      Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama (6’6” 315lbs)
I had Wirfs here previously, but he's looking increasingly like a slamdunk first rounder. Leatherwood is another guy who could play inside at guard, but also give the team a high quality swing tackle option.

3.   Anthony McFarland (5’9” 198lbs)
Incredibly talented runningback who didn't necessarily grab national attention due to a combination of injuries and a lack of team success. While he’s another smaller, shifty back, he’s a slightly different player than Justice Hill in that he might not have the same slipperyness but has much more suddeness and power in his cuts. Good hands and route running, he has the ability to line up at slot WR as well as to add in the KR/PR game. Will be a good change-of-pace option that can add even more speed and creative options for this offense.

4 (Pats). Shyheim Carter, S/CB, Alabama (6’0” 195lbs)

Added secondary depth from a familiar place. If we resign (or franchise) Peters and bring back one of Carr/Smith, we will have a glut of players in the secondary. A guy with some flexibility will have a good chance of making the roster. He played a similar role as Ftizpatrick for the Tide.

4.      Leki Fotu, NT, Utah (6’5” 323)

We had to sign two tackles off the street mid-season for depth at the tackle position. Fotu projects as a mammoth run stuffer at the NFL level with little ability to contribute in the pass rush. This selection will give us a cheap rotational piece and insurance for a potential Pierce departure. Think Peko, but in his early 20's.

4 (comp). Collin Johnson, WR, Texas (6’5” 220lbs)

Incredible physical gifts that have not translated to dominance at the collegiate level (ended his senior season with 35 catches for 497 yards and 2 TD). Injuries have had something to do with it, but it’s still not ideal. Even if he doesn’t have the right “it” to develop into an above average NFL WR, (1) he’s worth the roll of the dice given his god-given upside and (2) his size should allow him to provide a plus as a run blocker in the running game.

4 (comp). Keandre Jones, EDGE/WLB, Maryland (6’3” 225lbs)

What can I say? It's another Terp. Does not really project well as an every down edge threat at the NFL level. Doesn’t have the size to set the edge and doesn’t show the ability to win one-on-one matchups with pro-level tackles. He is a great, fluid athlete though with plenty of burst. Chases down run plays from the backside well and has shown the ability to drop into coverage. May have more value to Wink Martindale and the Ravens (relative to any other team) due to their propensity to rotate players in platoon situations. Will potentially shine shooting gaps (a la Kenny Young 2018/Peanut), occasionally lining up on TEs and shallow zone coverage, and adding a situational rusher who can be a part of the Racecar package.

5.      KJ Hill, WR, OSU (6’0” 200lbs)
Speedy wideout with decent size and solid hands. Has shown solid production at OSU and will slot in nicely for the likely departure of Chris Moore. May be active on gameday earlier in his career than Johnson (above) due to ability to contribute on special teams.

6.      N/A

7 (Jets conditional).      Dante Olson, LB, Montana (6’3” 240lbs)
FCS linebacker who was a tackling machine before injury in the 2019 season. Had a big game against Oregon. Could be a late round gem who competes for a spot on the roster at LB.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

I don't think inside linebacker is that important when we rotate as much as we do. Of course a great player is a great player, but I believe inside linebackers can be found later and the positional value at other positions exceed the inside linebacker position.

Of the guys in the new mock, I am actually not that impressed with Lewis or Carter as I thought I would be.

Interior oline I hope will be high on our board if Yanda decides to retire. If he declare that he will stay before free agency and the draft, then I don't think we need to address the position as early. Then we should look for the Greg Senat type of player later in the draft.

I will look at Keandre Jones as well.

With regard to wide receivers, I think we have to find 2 guys in the draft, at least one with great speed and another type with the zone awareness as Hayden Hurst.

I don't know if it is too early to give up on Justice Hill, but he has unfortunately been underwhelming so far.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I don't think inside linebacker is that important when we rotate as much as we do. Of course a great player is a great player, but I believe inside linebackers can be found later and the positional value at other positions exceed the inside linebacker position.

Well I don't think we need to burn a 1st round pick on an ILB, but hopefully we can nab one relatively early (by round 3), and if not, maybe spend two later picks (5th round and later). 

Positional value is also relative to the talent we have on the roster. Our ILB's are functional but have almost no upside, whereas it seems like OLB's Bowser and Ferguson can improve quite a bit by next year. 

Having to rotate ILBs is really not ideal, and can be easily nullified by a no-huddle. Also our weakness defending outside runs would be really helped out by a sideline-to-sideline ILB. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, sp6488 said:

1.      Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama (6’5” 252lbs)

2.      Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama (6’6” 315lbs)

4 (Pats). Shyheim Carter, S/CB, Alabama (6’0” 195lbs)

You know Ozzie isn't the GM any more, right? :P

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, AngusMcFife said:

IMO the position group that is in most serious need of talent infusion is ILB. Peanut a FA and Board have regressed, and Bynes and Fort were street free agents for a reason. If we can add an instinctive 3 down ILB that would do wonders for the D. 

While I agree to a degree, I also disagree. I do think ILB is a position that we need to focus on with a day 2 pick, but I think if you look at what we had to do with the interior DL in adding Jihad Ward, Justin Ellis, and Domato Peko... when you look at the fact that Michael Pierce is an upcoming free agent that we’re not likely to resign considering this past offseason and his non-factor as a pass rusher. I think it’s clear that the biggest need on this team is along the defensive front. Someone like Javon Kinlaw would’ve been perfect but he won’t likely fall to our range. So someone else with a similar skillset would be key.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

While I agree to a degree, I also disagree. I do think ILB is a position that we need to focus on with a day 2 pick, but I think if you look at what we had to do with the interior DL in adding Jihad Ward, Justin Ellis, and Domato Peko... when you look at the fact that Michael Pierce is an upcoming free agent that we’re not likely to resign considering this past offseason and his non-factor as a pass rusher. I think it’s clear that the biggest need on this team is along the defensive front. Someone like Javon Kinlaw would’ve been perfect but he won’t likely fall to our range. So someone else with a similar skillset would be key.

Agreed as well. It is interesting that we have a ILB (Peanut), DL (Pierce), and OLB (Judon) all hitting free agency. Depending on who we re-sign will make a big difference on what our needs will be. We also have CBs hitting FA as well (J. Smith and Peters), but I'm assuming we'll likely retain at least one of those guys.