Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

16 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Until people stop eating at McDonald's and BK, nothing is more overrated.

People complain about In N Out's fries, but they're the only ones that use actual potatoes. Everybody else uses frozen stuff, with garbage all over it. If you want your fries more crispy, order them that way. They'll do it.

In N Out has the best fast food burger by far. They season it the best, cook it the best, and it's fresh. The people that try to claim it's the best burger in the world are very wrong, but you cna't get a better burger in a drive thru.

If In-and-Out wasn't from California, everyone in California would be saying the same thing about Carls Jr

In other words, I don't trust Californians opinions about California things. 

• Like 6

Just now, animaltested said:

I don't trust Californians opinions about California things. 

is there a word for that...something akin to gaijin ? Surely there must be a suitable pejorative to describe the sub-humans from the Golden State. 

Part of the original lure of In N Out was its scarcity, they weren't everywhere and so the "cult" got started because they were hard to find.
And the popularity was helped a bit because of their epic bumper stickers everywhere.

People took the In N Out Burger logo and scraped off a couple letters so it read " In N Out Urge"

Its not the best burger, but its one of the better ones in the fast food category and they're pretty cheap vs the competition

1 minute ago, MrDrew said:

Whataburger's breakfast is definitely better, but that's about it.

I think it's close, but I'm still gonna go Whataburger at the end of the day. Maybe that changes, but Whataburger is on the short list of meals I'll request before I'm executed.

9 minutes ago, animaltested said:

If In-and-Out wasn't from California, everyone in California would be saying the same thing about Carls Jr

In other words, I don't trust Californians opinions about California things. 

Nah. Five Guys is on par with Carl's Jr, but nobody would compare Carl's Jr and In N Out.

In N Out and Mexican food are the things you can trust the opinion of a Californian. Outside of that, you're best to ignore them, unless of course it's me. My opinion is always correct.

• Like 1

Nah. Five Guys is on par with Carl's Jr, but nobody would compare Carl's Jr and In N Out.

In N Out and Mexican food are the things you can trust the opinion of a Californian. Outside of that, you're best to ignore them, unless of course it's me. My opinion is always correct.

No, I disagree with this statement because those are 2 things that Californians have impossible to overcome biases.

• Like 2

5 Guys is ok. But charging 57 dollars for fries is a little absurd. 

• Like 1

Just now, animaltested said:

5 Guys is ok. But charging 57 dollars for fries is a little absurd. 

Five Guys is a very well cooked, flavorless, expensive burger. For what they charge, you'd think they could at least spare some salt and pepper to put on their burgers.

3 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

No, I disagree with this statement because those are 2 things that Californians have impossible to overcome biases.

My opinion on CA Mexican food is based on having grandparents from Mexico. You can't find better Mexican food than in CA, unless you're in Mexico.

My opinion on CA Mexican food is based on having grandparents from Mexico. You can't find better Mexican food than in CA, unless you're in Mexico.

That's subjective.

The city in which I live has a very dominant Puerto Rican and Dominican representation, far away from their respective islands and I've heard on occasion that sometimes they prefer what they've gotten here versus in Puerto Rico/DR.

7 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

TexMex isn't bad food, but it's just not good Mexican food. Just because you try to throw onions and peppers on something, it doesn't make it Mexican food.

Oh, TexMex is a distinctly Houston thing.

You want the best Mexican food in the nation, go to El Paso or San Antonio. Get you some pozole, barbacoa, pastor, menudo, chicken mole...

San Antonio Mexican food is life changing.

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

That's subjective.

The city in which I live has a very dominant Puerto Rican and Dominican representation, far away from their respective islands and I've heard on occasion that sometimes they prefer what they've gotten here versus in Puerto Rico/DR.

It's not solely based on the location, it's where the population is. CA just happens to be a border state. I've had good Mexican food in Kansas, but there's also a big migrant farming population there. I've lived in CO for 13yrs, and I still can't find a good place.

I had a guy from Cuba tell me that one of the best Cuban restaurants he's ever eaten at was in Indiana, just across the border from Louisville. It can happen.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, TexMex is a distinctly Houston thing.

You want the best Mexican food in the nation, go to El Paso or San Antonio. Get you some pozole, barbacoa, pastor, menudo, chicken mole...

San Antonio Mexican food is life changing.

I've only been to Dallas, and it's a thing there too. We even got invaded by a Chuy's here. Taco Bueno couldn't survive though.

I could see those cities keeping up with CA because they would be more traditional too.