Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I've only been to Dallas, and it's a thing there too

That's spiritually in Oklahoma. Technically, a man drew some lines on paper and that paper said Dallas is inside Texas - reality is, it's South Oklahoma in spirit.

Oklahoma is a dump, just like Dallas.

5 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I could see those cities keeping up with CA because they would be more traditional too.

I've had both, had some Mexican at a taqueria in Los Angeles before. Very, very good. Kind of expensive compared to what I'm used to paying at a taqueria. In San Antonio, I'm able to get dinner for my family (wife, daughter who lives off of chicken nuggets and son who eats nothing but grilled cheeses) my Father in Law and his wife, and it's like $55 with tip - and we eat like royalty, just can't stop eating.

I guess I'll relent and say it's equal IF you don't take price into consideration. 

I'll give SoCal this - they've perfected the ramen game. Mind blowing.

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's spiritually in Oklahoma. Technically, a man drew some lines on paper and that paper said Dallas is inside Texas - reality is, it's South Oklahoma in spirit.

Oklahoma is a dump, just like Dallas.

I've had both, had some Mexican at a taqueria in Los Angeles before. Very, very good. Kind of expensive compared to what I'm used to paying at a taqueria. In San Antonio, I'm able to get dinner for my family (wife, daughter who lives off of chicken nuggets and son who eats nothing but grilled cheeses) my Father in Law and his wife, and it's like $55 with tip - and we eat like royalty, just can't stop eating.

I guess I'll relent and say it's equal IF you don't take price into consideration. 

I'll give SoCal this - they've perfected the ramen game. Mind blowing.

You went to the wrong place if it was that much more. Things in CA are always going to be more expensive, but you can still find cheap/great Mexican food. Here's what you look for when trying to find the best Mexican food:

Should be 1,00sqft or less

There should be a band in the corner, even though they don't fit

You should have to order in Spanish before 3pm, and after 6pm. The owner's kid should be there to translate in between.

It will be clean, but should not be considered "nice".

The hot food counter at a carniceria is a secret move. Look in the meat section on the way to the back, and leave if you don't see tripe or tongue in the coolers.

If the cook is a woman, she should be under 5'2", and yelling at somebody in Spanish.

The ramen craze didn't really start until after I moved. I also don't spend any real time in LA when I go home. Might have to go find some next time I go back.

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Until people stop eating at McDonald's and BK, nothing is more overrated.

People complain about In N Out's fries, but they're the only ones that use actual potatoes. Everybody else uses frozen stuff, with garbage all over it. If you want your fries more crispy, order them that way. They'll do it.

In N Out has the best fast food burger by far. They season it the best, cook it the best, and it's fresh. The people that try to claim it's the best burger in the world are very wrong, but you cna't get a better burger in a drive thru.

I get the fries well done. They’re just bad fries. I make homemade French fries in my air fryer that taste better.

The burger is good but it’s nothing special. I prefer five guys and whataburger. 

3 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Five Guys is a very well cooked, flavorless, expensive burger. For what they charge, you'd think they could at least spare some salt and pepper to put on their burgers.

Oh man. I can’t imagine not knowing to ask for the Cajun seasoning on the burger. No wonder you think InNOut is good.

6 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Having to ask for any seasoning on a $12 burger = a bland over priced burger

It’s like $7 for a burger and it’s because you get more than 4 ounces of beef. Five Guys burger with Cajun seasoning >>>>>>>>> In N Out.

Californians really the only people who love that place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

It’s like $7 for a burger and it’s because you get more than 4 ounces of beef. Five Guys burger with Cajun seasoning >>>>>>>>> In N Out.

Californians really the only people who love that place.

The only people that like Five Guys are the ones that pile on toppings. Otherwise it's just a plain piece of meat. 

If you think people in CA are the only ones that like In N Out, go to one in another state. I've been to them in AZ, NV, and UT. All of them were packed, and it was driving through the are, so it was off hours. 

5 hours ago, MrDrew said:

The only people that like Five Guys are the ones that pile on toppings. Otherwise it's just a plain piece of meat. 

If you think people in CA are the only ones that like In N Out, go to one in another state. I've been to them in AZ, NV, and UT. All of them were packed, and it was driving through the are, so it was off hours. 

I know! The hype is crazy. It’s just not great food. The sauce is pretty good, I’ll say that.

16 hours ago, animaltested said:

If In-and-Out wasn't from California, everyone in California would be saying the same thing about Carls Jr

In other words, I don't trust Californians opinions about California things. 

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think it's close, but I'm still gonna go Whataburger at the end of the day. Maybe that changes, but Whataburger is on the short list of meals I'll request before I'm executed.

I think a discussion about Californians liking California things too much followed by a Texan liking a Texas thing is like the literal, living, breathing definition of irony (colloquial irony, anyway).

Tennessee has some pretty dope Mexican food, actually. We also have a ridiculous number of white people Mexican restaurants where half the orders are Arroz con pollo, and ICE keeps stealing our best taco trucks. But there’s a big undocumented Mexican population around here. My corner mercado has homemade chicharrons the size of your head, and they’re awesome. But they are always out of buche.

Krystals has the best fast food burgers (Probably White Castle too for you Yankees). They’re hardly burgers, but they’re their own thing, and they’re delicious. Give me those over the best fast food version of a medium well cheeseburger that literally any sit down burger joint can beat.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think a discussion about Californians liking California things too much followed by a Texan liking a Texas thing is like the literal, living, breathing definition of irony (colloquial irony, anyway).

A Texan liking an Illinois thing, actually.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/local/article/Bank-acquires-majority-stake-in-Whataburger-13998032.php

We had a meeting after this little bit of corporate news. We were not happy with this development.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Krystals has the best fast food burgers (Probably White Castle too for you Yankees). They’re hardly burgers, but they’re their own thing, and they’re delicious. Give me those over the best fast food version of a medium well cheeseburger that literally any sit down burger joint can beat.

White Castle is just unique. I've heard stories of people ingesting about 600 of those guys in a single sitting and not feel full. Nevermind they took in about 40,000 calories and 4,500 grams of fat in that session - they didn't feel full.

I very much want to experience this.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I was in Louisville in Oct, and got to try White Castle for the first time. Disappointing is the only word for it. Talking to people, I can't imagine Krystal is any better. Breakfast at White Castle is actually good, but the burgers are not.

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

had Steak n Shake at a basketball game last night. forgot how annoying their fries are lol

it's like picking at the bottom of a bag of potato chips

Speaking of which, who decided potato chips was something to served alongside burgers. Any restaurant that does that should be shut down by Health and Human Services. 

• Like 1