Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

Japanese curry is pretty different to other Asian curries. Id place it closer to American style gravy or stew. Solid bar food option, pairs extremely well with a cold Sapporo or Asahi. 

Roll maki style sushi is pretty tricky to do, but nigiri style is pretty idiot proof. All comes down to the cut of fish you use and a sharp knife.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

Japanese curry is pretty different to other Asian curries. Id place it closer to American style gravy or stew. Solid bar food option, pairs extremely well with a cold Sapporo or Asahi. 

Roll maki style sushi is pretty tricky to do, but nigiri style is pretty idiot proof. All comes down to the cut of fish you use and a sharp knife.

A bigger problem for sushi, with me at least, is that if I have a really nice piece of fish that would be good enough to serve as sushi, I'm probably marinating and searing that sucker over making sushi.

Or making ceviche.

On 12/02/2020 at 2:21 PM, MrDrew said:

Nah. Five Guys is on par with Carl's Jr, but nobody would compare Carl's Jr and In N Out.

In N Out and Mexican food are the things you can trust the opinion of a Californian. Outside of that, you're best to ignore them, unless of course it's me. My opinion is always correct.

I don't know where that's coming from.  Carl's Jr is like...Burger King territory as far as i've ever had it.  I like it for the same reasons.  It's cheap if you steer clear of the piled on stacks of whatever feature-burger and just grab a couple lil cheeseburgers for a big weekend lunch.  And it's quick and clean and rarely ever busy.

Five Guys is definitely a tier above.  Their burgers are worth a little wait if you've got time, and an empty stomach.  The quality isn't really in the same sphere.

On 13/02/2020 at 5:28 PM, Malfatron said:

i am not fond of curry

On 14/02/2020 at 12:28 PM, Daniel said:

Yeah, then you're making Salvadorean food.

As for Indian food, Chana masala all day.  Or like anything vindaloo.

Thai curry is gross, because coconut is gross.  Japanese curry is aight.

I tend to agree, in the sense that Curry always seems to refer to like Thai style stuff that is just really bleh and shallow, even when it's spicy.  While a lot of Indian food is pretty dope, and has tons of depth.  Coconuts suck nuts.  Just mutes everything flavour-wise.

On 14/02/2020 at 7:40 AM, Danger said:

Indian food in general is too wet and mushy. Flavors aren't bad, but they aren't..... "hearty enough"

On 14/02/2020 at 8:10 AM, ET80 said:

I don't know what Indian restaurant you're going to where flavor isn't hearty enough - most complaints I get are that it's almost too overpowering.

I'll give you the wet and mushy, to an extent. If you get into South Indian food, it tends to be different. Your chicken tikka masala and saag paneers are a wet, gloopy mess. Your masala dosa and beef biyrani isn't as gloopy.

One last note - curry isn't strictly Indian food. The best curries I've had are usually Thai curries (massamun curry is arguably my favorite).

Indian food can definitely be "wet and mushy".  The key though, is using Roti as a vehicle.  Everyone raves about Naan bread (and it's honestly the greatest maybe)...but...a nice thin crispy Roti is the tool for the job when it comes to making mushy Indian food less mushy.  You just have to order tons of it, and treat it like an edible spoon or a spoon tortilla or something, and it's the best thing you could ever do with your edible utensils probably. 

On 14/02/2020 at 11:08 AM, Malfatron said:

when i go to indian place, i always get garlic naan and  tandoori chicken

On 14/02/2020 at 11:35 AM, Malfatron said:

i do like tikka masala quite a bet. Thats my 2nd fav indian dish

paneer is ucky to me

Ya'll going safe as heck.  That's either smart...or missing out.  Probably smart.

Order a Goat masala next time.  With some heat.  It's a fun combo imo.

On 14/02/2020 at 7:46 AM, MWil23 said:

Naan bread is spectacular. I will not change my mind on this.

I'm team Roti, for most applications tbh.  But just like...order twice as much.  Team Carbs probably idk.

Can't really disparage Naan bread though.  It's a terrific bread, and i love bread in most forms.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 7:55 AM, Elky said:

Also, if you're not using cast iron, you're cooking things wrong. There's absolutely no reason to use a "nonstick" frying pan instead of cast iron.

There's like a million reasons to use various non-stick pans.  Not the least of which is, i want a grilled cheese sandwich and i want it easy and quick.  What kind of idiot pulls out a cast iron to make lunch like that?

They're good at what they do.  Cast Iron isn't a magic wand for cooking...it's a specialized tool that's good as heck at a few important things.  You want to sear something good?  Cast Iron.

On 14/02/2020 at 9:15 AM, Elky said:

Acidic foods like tomatoes won't harm your cast iron once it's seasoned enough. I re-oil mine after each use and never had issues with tomatoes.

You're not simmering tomato based sauces in a cast iron pan often though.  Not when you throw in red wine vinegar and want to roll it on for quite a while.  That's gonna eat at it and you're gonna spend more time oiling 'er back up than you do enjoying the food..which you could just get out of a "nonstick proletariat pan".

On 14/02/2020 at 9:32 AM, Elky said:

Cast iron is less maintenance than frying pans. Yes, you do have to spend a little extra time seasoning it, but it doesn't take that long and it's truly nonstick. Can't tell you how many times "nonstick frying pans" stick like hell.

It's absolutely not less maintenance than basically zero maintenance modern non-stick pans.  

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Venison is lean and gamey, and that's just fine on it's own.

Venison is the world’s tastiest meat.

But on that subject, probably an unpopular opinion: I legit don’t understand what gamey even means. Venison tastes like venison, dove tastes like dove, and lamb tastes like lamb. They’re all yummy.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, Daniel said:

Venison is the world’s tastiest meat.

But on that subject, probably an unpopular opinion: I legit don’t understand what gamey even means. Venison tastes like venison, dove tastes like dove, and lamb tastes like lamb. They’re all yummy.

But everything somehow tastes like chicken. It's strange to say the least.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:49 PM, Heimdallr said:

Lamb and venison are both far superior to beef when cooked properly. 

I disagree. I would say that assuming all are cooked properly, beef, venison, lamb, and certain cuts of pork (obviously smoked) are all close to equal, but far superior is a stretch IMO.

I would also put smoked goat in there as well...a roasted goat is unbelievable, especially the ribs/tenderloin.