Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

humans benefit by eating some breakfast from a metabolism POV, but we don't need the Grand Slam from Denny's
Breaking your fast after 12 hours of foodlessness delivers the energy your brain needs to function at peak performance. And while we aren't doing the physical work of our farmer ancestors, its also worth noting that your brain consumes 60- 70 % of your blood glucose in a resting state. The brain does not have fuel storage capabilities, so it relies on a steady supply- and after 12 hours of fasting, its time for a boost

12 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I think Americans (and the Brits) have a unhealthy obsession with breakfast that's literally killing the country, and breakfast as a meal is a relic of the past that needs to return to the past. Traditional English-American breakfast is built to be farmer fuel, which none of us are. Most of us literally sit on our rear-ends all day staring at a screen. Modern humans do not need the 1800-2400 calories associated with breakfast. On top of it, the other half of breakfast "food" is desert masquerading as a meal. Ceral, donuts, pastries, Oatmeal etc is literally cake by another name. It also doesn't help most peoples "Coffee" is sugary milk.

In short, breakfast should be a special occasion meal, DEFINATELY not an "I need this to exist" meal. 

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

humans benefit by eating some breakfast from a metabolism POV, but we don't need the Grand Slam from Denny's
Breaking your fast after 12 hours of foodlessness delivers the energy your brain needs to function at peak performance. And while we aren't doing the physical work of our farmer ancestors, its also worth noting that your brain consumes 60- 70 % of your blood glucose in a resting state. The brain does not have fuel storage capabilities, so it relies on a steady supply- and after 12 hours of fasting, its time for a boost

You guys are in the wrong thread....

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/60-weightlifting-fitness-everything-old-is-new-again/

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Here's another one....

Ketchup is a "catch all" condiment that works across multiple things but there is always a better condiment choice.

i cant think of one thing ketchup does that bbq doesnt

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Agreed, but the way most Americans eat prevents anything close to a 12 hour fast. A lot of people snack or drink after dinner, get less than 8 hours of sleep and then eat breakfast. And that breakfast inst the slice of bread, or piece of fruit its should be, but usually a bowl of cereal, sugary oatmeal, or a full breakfast hiding between two buns. This is followed 3-4 hours later by a 1200-1500 calorie dump for lunch. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I think Americans (and the Brits) have a unhealthy obsession with breakfast that's literally killing the country, and breakfast as a meal is a relic of the past that needs to return to the past. Traditional English-American breakfast is built to be farmer fuel, which none of us are. Most of us literally sit on our rear-ends all day staring at a screen. Modern humans do not need the 1800-2400 calories associated with breakfast. On top of it, the other half of breakfast "food" is desert masquerading as a meal. Ceral, donuts, pastries, Oatmeal etc is literally cake by another name. It also doesn't help most peoples "Coffee" is sugary milk.

In short, breakfast should be a special occasion meal, DEFINATELY not an "I need this to exist" meal. 

7 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Agreed, but the way most Americans eat prevents anything close to a 12 hour fast. A lot of people snack or drink after dinner, get less than 8 hours of sleep and then eat breakfast. And that breakfast inst the slice of bread, or piece of fruit its should be, but usually a bowl of cereal, sugary oatmeal, or a full breakfast hiding between two buns. This is followed 3-4 hours later by a 1200-1500 calorie dump for lunch. 

I mean, i think you solved your own quandary here.  The solution isn't to banish breakfast to the ether.  It's to banish the long work day that pushes people to increasingly unhealthy eating and sleeping cycles.

I'm not a breakfast guy.  But i like a nice breakfast, and a lot of people love it.  Even i still need at least a little something something early in the morning to get things going.  Even if it's just a lil' bit of yogurt and a banana or something.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Same. Black olives can stay, but my mother is the only person I know who likes green ones.

She also served me squash when I was a kid. Blech.

My mother likes to act like it's some epic division of families that she likes olives, and basically nobody else on my dad's side does.  It's kinda true...but it's the weirdest way of dividing a family ever i think.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, y*so*blu said:

Let 'em fly! We all have our game day favorites, but we also have foods we just can't get on board with, no matter how many people insist they are great. Here's my list.

1. Avocados. What is the modern fascination with these? They don't taste any better than they did five or ten years ago. Their texture hasn't improved. They are still bland and unappetizing. You guys can have all the avocados, I'll pass.

2. Bananas. Another mushy fruit I never developed a taste for, except in my grandmother's banana bread. I'll eat that all day long.

3. Bacon in desserts. Just no. Stop pretending these flavors go together. I love bacon in almost all forms, but not on my donuts or in my ice cream. 

4. Sea salt with caramel. See third sentence of #3.

5. Pineapple on pizza. This will never work for me.

Fun fact, the super sweet and delicious banana went extinct in 1950 because of a disease. The one we eat now isn't nearly as tasty, or so people say.