Unpopular culinary opinions

y*so*blu

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

Hanger steak is old news, we don’t even sell them. I personally think flap/flank/skirt/hanger steaks are all overrated. Theres a pretty obvious reason they’re cheaper then ribs and tenderloins, it’s cause they’re not as good lmao 

the “money muscle” or “competition muscle” is the new one people think is their little secret. 

I don’t push them as great cuts because they’re a pain to cut with a ton of trim created, but they’re really good.

Can’t lie I expected a little more from you concerning the history of hanger steak and butchers, and how it relates to ribeye. But this was an acceptable answer as you completely sidestepped my chicanery. 

• Like 1

Here's how I break down steaks:

*Steaks that I use in meals but not by themselves: Sirloin, flank, Skirt, Hanger.

These are really solid if you're making steak fajitas, steak in a salad, using them as some type of marinade/dry rubbed meat, etc. I occasionally will do a sirloin by itself as a steak, but this isn't something that I do regularly.

*Steaks that I cook by themselves: Porterhouse/T-Bone, Strip (NY or KC)

IMO, a strip can either be one of the best or one of the most overrated cuts you can get. I NEVER order them in a restaurant because I can't check the marbling myself ahead of time. You can get a great marbled cut or one that's really lean and unforgiving when you cook it. A porterhouse/T-Bone is nice, but I'm personally of the same opinion as a strip. It's an overrated cut by price generally speaking. It's a good cut, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth what you generally pay for. If I see them on sale at the store, I definitely buy them.

*Steaks that are ELITE by themselves: Ribeye, Filet

These are steaks I cook for special occasions and steaks that have gotten my wife, formerly someone who didn't like steak, to be a steak lover. Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and butter...add some herbs if you want, but that's not necessary if you cook them correctly. Somewhere between medium rare and medium is perfect IMO.  Ribeyes have more of a "chew factor" than filets, so that texture is right in my wheelhouse combined with the marbling tenderness. Those that don't like/appreciate this "chew factor" probably prefer a filet, and I don't necessarily blame them for that. Filets are for people that, frankly, prefer tenderness over flavor and for those on diets that need a leaner cut.

@Dome anything to add?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think they’re about the same.

Crawdads are the real GOAT shellfish meat.

I’ve eaten a lot of crawdads in my day, they lived in the creek that ran behind our house. Had 3-4 traps running every summer.

I prefer dungeoness crab or lobster to crawdad 

57 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’ve eaten a lot of crawdads in my day, they lived in the creek that ran behind our house. Had 3-4 traps running every summer.

I prefer dungeoness crab or lobster to crawdad 

They’re a lot of work for very little reward. But a crawfish boil is top notch. Would take it over lobster any day of the week.

On 08/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, animaltested said:

There are cheese that go extremely well on burgers like Munster, Gouda, Guyere, Swiss, Bleu cheese, but the strength in the cheese usually lays in the toppings. The basic burger toppings (mustard, grilled onions, tomato etc) lend themselves well to American and Cheddar. American cheese shines on smash burgers, which IMO are the superior way to cook them. 

Tbh, i hate almost all of the toppings.  Meat cheese and bread is the truest test of a burger.  And there just really isn't that much room for tomfoolery with weird cheeses.

On 08/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, MikeT14 said:

I agree with you and also disagree. I don't need breakfast. Never eat it, never want it (breakfast for lunch or dinner is a different story). Need my coffee.

That said, my wife NEEDS breakfast. She's an angry, hateful person without it (kidding - sort of). And she eats like 3 different "breakfasts" throughout the morning - cereal, fruits, a bagel, etc. She is a dentist, and works hard and it's her fuel to start.

Breakfast is for morning people.  And they're all weirdos probably.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, y*so*blu said:

I like pepper jack cheese on burgers, but it's the only thing that tastes right other than American. Swiss and provolone are great for chicken though.

Sushi and wasabi ... not a fan. I'm not much into seafood to begin with, and raw seafood is even less appealing. Wasabi tastes like something died in my mouth.

I really don't like sushi.  The texture is just...ugh...squishy.  I like wasabi though.  It's the only thing that makes sushi tolerable tbh.  But inevitably, sushi is going to taste like something died in your mouth...because it kinda did i guess.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:37 AM, MKnight82 said:

No, filet has the same tenderness and flavor of a Ribeye but you don't have to throw away half of it cutting out all of the fat.  Its a far superior cut of meat.  

As long as we're not getting into like...NY Strips that are ******* gross with their weird fat rims.  Why they're so popular, i will never understand.  Like yeah...i'd like part of my steak to just be a weird ****in' lump of lard please.

I'd take a nice filet over a ribeye probably though.  I just don't care for much fat and potential gristle in my steak.  Not that i hate fat in a steak...but those big blocks can be kinda unpleasant.  Ideal when spending big on a steak, is just having...not any weird fat pockets.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, Dome said:

Hanger steak is old news, we don’t even sell them. I personally think flap/flank/skirt/hanger steaks are all overrated. Theres a pretty obvious reason they’re cheaper then ribs and tenderloins, it’s cause they’re not as good lmao 

the “money muscle” or “competition muscle” is the new one people think is their little secret. 

I don’t push them as great cuts because they’re a pain to cut with a ton of trim created, but they’re really good.

Flank steaks can be kinda wicked if you've got the time.  But they're honestly hard to find around here.  The time is also sometimes hard to find.

Edited by Tugboat

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but marketing would suggest it is: regular old Oscar Meyer uncured wieners are far superior to your Ball Park All Beef Mega Wieners.  Like I get in large places where you get a lot of folks from different walks of life, you need a more universal frank, but when you're at home, mystery meat dog is better every single time.

-Vinegar is one of the worst substances on Earth, and should never be used for anything.

-Lobsters are just water roaches that have no flavor. People only eat them for the texture and as an excuse to down a lot of butter. Crab is petty much the same, except they’re spiders.

-People that like Five Guys don’t like burgers, they like toppings. 

-BBQ done right, and seasoned right, doesn’t need sauce.

-Onions aren’t necessary.

-IPA is a fantastic style of beer. Very few breweries make it correctly.

-Gin is great. You’ve just had bad gin.

-Japanese Whiskey > Scotch

• Like 1