Lions vs Raiders Takeaways

Just Want A Title

I just finished watching the Lions vs Raiders.  Great game but it sucks that we lost.  Props to the raiders for their improvement from last year.  A lot of it has to do with having a draft class for the ages.  Than said:

1.      Our pass rush is a little better but we are still not where we need to be.

2.      After playing so much man coverage early the Lions are mixing up their coverages and having success.

3.      Jarrad Davis is still not very good in pass coverage.  He is solid blitzer and good against the run but he is a liability against the pass.

4.      I keep picking on Jarrad Davis but none of our other LBs are very good in coverage either

5.      Jahlani Tavai is turning into a really solid player.  The play when the ball hit him in the back was pretty smart.  It would have been nice to see him get the INT but he showed real savvy on that play.

6.      I don’t know what is going on with the defense but they really need to get better at getting stops early in the game.

7.      Darrel Bevell is finally starting to find his groove as a play caller.  He is calling some really good plays and being very unpredictable.

8.      Rick Wagner’s pass protection is horrible.  He should not be our starting RT next year.  If Tyrell Crosby should get a shot.

9.      Taylor Decker is a solid LT but that’s about it.  It will be tough to upgrade both OT positions but the only reason we shouldn’t be looking at an upgrade is because we will need a RT much worse than LT.

10.   The running game was pretty effective today.  Bevell schemed some good plays and the O-Line did a solid job of run-blocking.

11.   Our WRs are playing really well.  If we have this group together with a better o-line the offense could be scary-good.

12.   Jesse James finally caught a pass.  He and Hockenson need to be much more consistent.  Especially in the red-zone.

13.   Speaking of red-zone, it was great to see us scoring TDs instead of FGs.

14.   Matthew Stafford made a couple of mistakes but he is still playing at a really high level.  He is showing more fire than I have seen in a while.

I completely disagree about Bevell.

That's now 2 times with the game on the line he tries jumbo play action. I don't have the words to convey just how disgusted I am with him.

He also calls too many run plays. It's our weakness playing into their strength.

This team is being carried by Stafford and the receivers, and the solid pass protection. Bevell is holding it back with his old tendencies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

GG guys. Could have been anyones game. What the f was that play call on the final play?

Our dumb oc thought you guys might actually fall for a run fake and when you did, we were gonna hit our 3rd string te in the back of the endzone.

Its actually kinda genius if you think about it..

2 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Should of qb sneaked or let the RB over the line pile up. That was pathetic.

Or throw it to the top ten pick TE or the one we gave a 4 year deal to.

Speaking of James, has he been a god at blocking this year? I haven't really been paying attention to that aspect of his game. We certainly didn't sign him to catch balls.

1 minute ago, davisblack said:

Or throw it to the top ten pick TE or the one we gave a 4 year deal to.

Speaking of James, has he been a god at blocking this year? I haven't really been paying attention to that aspect of his game. We certainly didn't sign him to catch balls.

All of our best playmakers were off the field. It’s so dumb. 

For everyone complaining about Bevell, this offense is the best and most consistent that it has been in a while. It is missing some huge parts - OL and effective runners. It's forcing the team to try and be creative without becoming entirely one dimensional. They don't have a defense to lean on either. I'd like to see them increase their pass attack a bit as I don't think it's fair to leave Stafford in 3rd and 8+ time and again. I also don't think they should abandon the run game entirely either. The playcalling needs some tweaking. The defense needs to get their stuff together. 

The biggest take away for me is that once again the Lions blew a huge opportunity. A win and they were right back in it. 

Second, what the heck kind of defence is Detroit playing.  Special delivery for defensive genius Matt Patricia......it isn’t working!

Please use Hall a few times a game on deep routes.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1

Lol, My take away is... I told you all. I told you. They suck, this coach sucks, and the GM is a phony. They deserve to be fired. 

Let the excuses rain in fellas, I've heard it for awhile now... TE at 8 was such an amazing idea, the OLine guys where nice journeymen who would compete(pfft). Blah blah blah blha balh.... It's mind numbing to come in and see you guys rationalize losing. 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Lol, My take away is... I told you all. I told you. They suck, this coach sucks, and the GM is a phony. They deserve to be fired. 

Let the excuses rain in fellas, I've heard it for awhile now... TE at 8 was such an amazing idea, the OLine guys where nice journeymen who would compete(pfft). Blah blah blah blha balh.... It's mind numbing to come in and see you guys rationalize losing. 

Don't lump us all in one kool aid drinking group. Plenty of us said pretty much what you're saying.

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Whaaaat

Edited by nagahide13