Teams in the QB market for 2018

Danger

I'd add the Giants, Patriots and Saints.

All three teams with old QBs. The Giants don't have a potential successor on their roster. The Pats do but might not be able to re-sign him and even if Brady sticks around they'll be looking to draft a QB early. Brees has an opt-out after 2017 and if he leaves I doubt Chase Daniel would be a long-term option to succeed him.

18 minutes ago, DawgX said:

His pocket presence was actually one of his biggest strengths during the preseason. I think today he was just trying too hard to make something out of nothing. Hopefully he'll improve in that regard. He definitely showed a lot of good things today, and he also made his fair share of mistakes (like taking those sacks, overthrew a couple of guys, bad INT, etc.) Overall,  I and most Browns fans are happy with his performance today.

Yea. If I were you guys, I would be encouraged. People are too hard on rookies. If Kizer looks like he can play in this league this year, that'll bode well for his future. 

12 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'd add the Giants, Patriots and Saints.

All three teams with old QBs. The Giants don't have a potential successor on their roster. The Pats do but might not be able to re-sign him and even if Brady sticks around they'll be looking to draft a QB early. Brees has an opt-out after 2017 and if he leaves I doubt Chase Daniel would be a long-term option to succeed him.

Didn't the Giants draft Webb to be Eli's possible replacement?

22 minutes ago, August4th said:

can see the steelers drafting bens successor in the 1st round next yr

Yeah...depends where we pick and who falls though.

We will definitely be "in the market", though.   I expect Ben to play next year, but Ive been saying since 2012 that the 2018 draft would be when they SHOULD look to drafting his eventual replacement.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I like Kizer and don't think we will look towards a QB in the 2018 draft.

Kizer has shown promise, but I think its too early to say anything...especially if the Browns end up picking top 5 and have a chance at an elite QB prospect.   I dont think they can afford to pass on a QB in that case unless they are absolutely sure Kizer is "the guy".

I look for as many as 5 QB's going in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might even be 6???

It's a long list of desperate teams, but here goes:

1) Cleveland - Kizer is a career backup at best

2) Jets - Very desperate team needing a QB

3) Denver - Ditto

4) San Fran - Ditto

5) Arizona - Carson is done

6) Buffalo - if they ever want to be a playoff team

7) Jacksonville  - Bortles isn't the answer

8) Indy - if Luck is finished??? You can remove them if they believe Luck will eventually return and be close to the QB he was.

9) Cincy - Dalton is average at best

10) Minnesota - Bradford is just an average QB who cannot lead a team to the playoffs

11) New Orleans - Brees is nearing the end

12) Houston - who knows what they have in Watson???

13) LA Rams - who knows if Goff will develop???

14) Washington - depending on the Cousins situation

15) Giants - Is Eli in the twilight of his career???

16) NE - depends on how they actually feel about Garoppolo and whether they can afford to keep him till Brady retires???

Obviously, Houston, LA Rams and Washington may or may not be desperate, it all depends on how much they believe in what they have???

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Hopefully a new Head Coach and Quarterback in Cincy next season...

Are you getting a new owner?  Because that's the only way I see this happening.  That or maybe if Marvin and Andy go on a multi-state crime spree.

2 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I look for as many as 5 QB's going in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might even be 6???

1) Cleveland - Kizer is a career backup at best   -  Too early to say this about Kizer.   I dont think they should pass on an elite prospect if in position, though....

3) Denver - Ditto

4) San Fran - Ditto

8) Indy - if Luck is finished??? You can remove them if they believe Luck will eventually return and be close to the QB he was.  -  Huh?   Luck was great last year and there is no reason to believe this injury will ruin him.

9) Cincy - Dalton is average at best  -   No way they will give up on Dalton.  They might draft a QB, but it wont be round 1.  

10) Minnesota - Bradford is just an average QB who cannot lead a team to the playoffs  -  They wont give up on Teddy so soon.

12) Houston - who knows what they have in Watson???   No chance they give up on a first round pick after 1 year, even if he isnt good.

13) LA Rams - who knows if Goff will develop???  Too much invested in him to give up on him after 2 years.

14) Washington - depending on the Cousins situation  -  If the Skins lose him, a team listed above will likely sign him....probably the 49ers. 

15) NE - depends on how they actually feel about Garoppolo and whether they can afford to keep him till Brady retires???  My guess is Garroppolo will either be tagged next year or starting for another team....depending what happens with Brady.

Steelers, Chargers and Giants will all be looking for QBs soon as well.

4 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

1) Cleveland - Kizer is a career backup at best

3) Denver - Ditto

4) San Fran - Ditto

8) Indy - if Luck is finished??? You can remove them if they believe Luck will eventually return and be close to the QB he was.

9) Cincy - Dalton is average at best

10) Minnesota - Bradford is just an average QB who cannot lead a team to the playoffs

12) Houston - who knows what they have in Watson???

13) LA Rams - who knows if Goff will develop???

14) Washington - depending on the Cousins situation

15) NE - depends on how they actually feel about Garoppolo and whether they can afford to keep him till Brady retires???

Obviously, Houston, LA Rams and Washington may or may not be desperate, it all depends on how much they believe in what they have???

There are teams I can see drafting QB's, but almost for certain (barring a retirement or two in some cases) not in the 1st.  Those would include the Rams (McVay strikes me as someone that would be keen to want someone on the backburner that could potentially be flipped if another team gets desperate and takes a shine - and Mannion ain't that), Giants, and Pats (Jimmy is a free agent, they just traded away Brissett, this is trademark Belichick).

I also don't think Cousins to Frisco is quite the done deal a lot of people think it is if he hits free agency.  Given how they've approached their team-building, I'd expect Jacksonville to take a run at him if they give up the Bortles ghost and don't have a Top 5 pick; and them failing to get him, I'd expect them to be players for Jimmy G.  

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steelers, Chargers and Giants will all be looking for QBs soon as well.

Yeah, I figure at worst are teams that will certainly give consideration to it in the middle rounds.  The Landry Jones extension for you guys and how much progress Cardale Jones makes for the Chargers (he's actually looked pretty solid from what I saw from him in-person) could push that off another year, but all three are teams that like to have at least a Plan B (even if Plan B isn't all that good) going into a contract year for their starter.

1 hour ago, starbarkc said:

Related question:

Chiefs have Mahomes and he is legit. Alex Smith is essentially in a contract year. Where would be a likely landing spot for a stable option, 2-3 season stop gap qb?

Better than the existing, allows other positions to develop so a tbd qbotf has more support, potential playoff berth.

Are you asking who the best landing spots for Smith are, or are you asking for who the best stop gap quarterback for the Chiefs would  be (that answer is Smith - if Mahomes isnt ready next year, Smith is still under contract. Mahomes can't be considered anywhere close to "legit" at this point)? 

The good fits I see for Smith would be Jax - talented team held back by quarterback play. Given marginally average QB play may make them playoff viable. 

Washington if they lose Cousins and want to continue to try and win now rather than enter full on rebuild. 

Arizona is an awful fit with Arians' system for Smith, but they could not have better options available if Palmer retires. 

Denver  works. Lynch is not an NFL quarterback. Siemian is meh. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Are you asking who the best landing spots for Smith are, or are you asking for who the best stop gap quarterback for the Chiefs would  be (that answer is Smith - if Mahomes isnt ready next year, Smith is still under contract. Mahomes can't be considered anywhere close to "legit" at this point)? 

The good fits I see for Smith would be Jax - talented team held back by quarterback play. Given marginally average QB play may make them playoff viable. 

Washington if they lose Cousins and want to continue to try and win now rather than enter full on rebuild. 

Arizona is an awful fit with Arians' system for Smith, but they could not have better options available if Palmer retires. 

No thanks to Alex Smith. We really need to be looking at the top QBs in the draft next year.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually think Denver's a favorite unless they somehow get in a position to acquire a high 1st and make a run at a top QB prospect.  And I think with the offensive system they run and the pieces they have in place (the defense in particular), Smith could find success in Denver.  What actually wouldn't surprise me in the slightest is Denver signing Smith and sinking an early pick in someone like Barkley, Guice, or Scarbrough.

Archived