Teams in the QB market for 2018

Danger

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I wouldn't mind giving up a future first and the picks I mentioned for one of the top QBs next year. Alex Smith can't lead KC, a team with a better roster than us ATM to a championship. What is he going to do for us? Just be good enough to be middling and keep us from drafting an actual Franchise QB? No thanks. The Chiefs don't even believe in Smith or else they wouldn't have used a future first to trade up and draft Mahomes this year.

Then, you have to wait for that QB to develop. Smith puts you right in the thick of things. You won a Super Bowl with a broken down Manning. Why not Smith? I know you argue that Siemian is basically the same guy, but he's not. I'm not a huge Alex Smith fan, but if your defense continues to be top 5, he'd have you guys in the thick of things.(especially if your defense continues to give Brady issues)

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

12) Houston - who knows what they have in Watson???

Wat? They just traded up to draft the guy and he's played a half of football coming in after Tom Savage went out.

Also, maybe it's just me but I don't see Brees playing for any team besides New Orleans. If he sucks, then he'll probably not get a chance for the money he'd want elsewhere. If he continues to be good (which he probably will) he'll be back in New Orleans guaranteed.

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I figure at worst are teams that will certainly give consideration to it in the middle rounds.  The Landry Jones extension for you guys and how much progress Cardale Jones makes for the Chargers (he's actually looked pretty solid from what I saw from him in-person) could push that off another year, but all three are teams that like to have at least a Plan B (even if Plan B isn't all that good) going into a contract year for their starter.

We didnt extend Landry to be our future starter, though.    

If we have a chance at a QB early next year, I could definitely see us pulling the trigger.   Not sure about the Chargers and Giants standpoints, but Ben is already talking retirement.   I do think he will finish out his contract, but his contract ends in 2019, and I doubt they take the chance.   We wont reach on a QB, but if one we like falls to the Steelers, I see us taking one.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Then, you have to wait for that QB to develop. Smith puts you right in the thick of things. You won a Super Bowl with a broken down Manning. Why not Smith? I know you argue that Siemian is basically the same guy, but he's not. I'm not a huge Alex Smith fan, but if your defense continues to be top 5, he'd have you guys in the thick of things.(especially if your defense continues to give Brady issues)

Our defense is nowhere near the same as it was in 2015. Coaches and player departures have decimated our defense. We cannot rely on it winning games for us like in our superbowl year. Bottom line is that we need a Franchise QB that can allow us to contend in the AFC overall again. Siemian definitely isn't that guy, and I don't think Alex Smith is either.

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

Our defense is nowhere near the same as it was in 2015. Coaches and player departures have decimated our defense. We cannot rely on it winning games for us like in our superbowl year. Bottom line is that we need a Franchise QB that can allow us to contend in the AFC overall again. Siemian definitely isn't that guy, and I don't think Alex Smith is either.

But you aren't just gonna "get" a franchise qb of the caliber you want, which is more of an above average qb than a simple franchise qb. Smith is a franchise qb and a hell of a lot closer than Siemian has proven to be. Unless somehow you swing a BIG trade involving multiple first round picks.

But TBH, I don't think Denver will have the same defense by the time that they find one. I haven't been a fan of Elway's recent drafting either.

Who would be your target for a potential qb?

35 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm sure reckless is still holding out hope that he will be a top 10 qb.

He looked good before he went down with his injury. Sammy B has come back strong from all his issues. Why not Teddy? People will just have to be patient (which, of course, won't happen).

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He looked good before he went down with his injury. Sammy B has come back strong from all his issues. Why not Teddy? People will just have to be patient (which, of course, won't happen).

I was taking a jab at reckless more than anything. He could still end up a good qb, but I don't see anything about his game that screams "upper echelon" and I don't like his mechanics, which factors big time into my evaluation of qb's.

44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But you aren't just gonna "get" a franchise qb of the caliber you want, which is more of an above average qb than a simple franchise qb. Smith is a franchise qb and a hell of a lot closer than Siemian has proven to be. Unless somehow you swing a BIG trade involving multiple first round picks.

But TBH, I don't think Denver will have the same defense by the time that they find one. I haven't been a fan of Elway's recent drafting either.

Who would be your target for a potential qb?

Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, etc. Anyone of them would be fine with me.

54 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, etc. Anyone of them would be fine with me.

And you'd be fine likely waiting 2-3 years for them to develop? In 3 years, most of Denver's defense will be pushing 30. That seems like a waste of a good roster. Or are you more content with the long game.

Also assuming all of them go top 10ish and Denver ends up picking around 18/19, what would you be willing to give up to move up?

I mean there are a lot of teams that I think are possibilities at this point

Jets: Well duh.

Dolphins: Is Tannehill your long term answer? Cutler is not a long term solution.

Bills: Do you stay with Taylor?

Browns: How do you feel about Kiser after year 1?

Steelers: Time to draft Ben's successor?

Jaguars: Move on from Bortles?

Broncos: Is Lynch a bust? Is Trevor the answer?

Chargers: Draft Rivers successor?

Giants: Draft Eli's successor?

Redskins: Do you keep Cousins?

Vikings: Move on from Teddy/Sam?

Saints: Find a successor for Brees?

49ers: Draft a QB, or pursue Cousins?

Cardinals: Find someone to take over for Palmer?

Rams: Is Goff going to be the guy?

So yeah. I could see 15 different franchises having reasons to pursue QB's in next years draft. Obviously not all of them will draft a QB in the first round, if at all. But All of these teams definitely need to at least be considering using an early pick on a QB.

Archived