Run Defense Snapshots

AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Again, who are you gonna send ?

Literally anyone on the field. Pettine's schemes are creative. They look like how we've seen LaFleur's offensive plays that all come from same alignment but are different. Pettine has much of the same thing, when Mac hired him everyone was hating on Dom's difficult defense so the ease of the defense was a buzzword. Pettine said his defense has the illusion of complexity. It's true. A blitz isn't supposed to be about beating your man 1-1, if it's schemed right, you should be untouched. We should be able to send JK Scott and have him record a pressure. Getting the sack takes skill, but getting a QB off his progression with a pressure is very valuable, not many came save that play like we know Rodgers can. We just simply aren't blitzing at all. We don't have the illusion of complexity on this defense, there's no illusion at all, our defense has been about as see through as the Kardashian's clothing since the Dallas game.

55 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Man does this defense put Blake in an ugly spot. I imagine he wouldn't mind getting out of it. What do you do as an ILB? Play conservative and unless the DL stuffs it, you're always giving up 5+. Play aggressive and pick the wrong gap, he may house it.

Guy gets a lot of hate, but he's got the devil and angel on his shoulder every play I bet. He's in a lose/lose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine's run defense has always been his biggest flaw.

However I feel like Pettine's true defense pairs extremely well with this offense. The defense needs to be about stops and TOPs, not points. I'd rather give up 7 points in 1:45 than 3 in 8:00 like the opening drive yesterday. We shouldn't fear the big play, we should always be on the attack and accept the big play as an occasional consequence. This defense is talented enough that playing on the attack I feel they'd make more plays than they give up. If we give up 21 quick points over the course of a game because someone beat us in an aggressive call, but also get 2 turnovers and 4 sacks (which are usually drive killers) I have confidence that those results would yield our offense enough possessions to score well over 21.

Right now we're playing soft, getting Aaron limited series (3 in the first half yesterday, completely unacceptable) and still giving up points, while not making any plays.

Play aggressive and accept the consequences. Keep coaching scared and you can coach some other defense next year Mike.

Yup, while not an excuse for its ineptness the entire game, I think it was a huge factor in our offensive play early that Rodgers touched the ball for the first time with about 7 minutes left in the quarter. In real time, it was about 20 minutes of sitting on the sidelines waiting for the ball. This has been a trend for years in Green Bay, and recently it's become a problem again. 

Pettine's run defense has always been his biggest flaw.

However I feel like Pettine's true defense pairs extremely well with this offense. The defense needs to be about stops and TOPs, not points. I'd rather give up 7 points in 1:45 than 3 in 8:00 like the opening drive yesterday. We shouldn't fear the big play, we should always be on the attack and accept the big play as an occasional consequence. This defense is talented enough that playing on the attack I feel they'd make more plays than they give up. If we give up 21 quick points over the course of a game because someone beat us in an aggressive call, but also get 2 turnovers and 4 sacks (which are usually drive killers) I have confidence that those results would yield our offense enough possessions to score well over 21.

Right now we're playing soft, getting Aaron limited series (3 in the first half yesterday, completely unacceptable) and still giving up points, while not making any plays.

Play aggressive and accept the consequences. Keep coaching scared and you can coach some other defense next year Mike.

Also, for as much as I rag on Martinez, the guy had 5 sacks last year....5! Has he even blitzed 5 times total this year? It's almost like Pettine believes that because we have the Smiths, he just wants to sit back with everyone else and depend on them to get it done every down. No blitzing. Limited press coverage. We're sitting back in our shell, willing to let team get 4-5 on the ground per carry and 5-7 through the air before contact with hopes that during that 12-play drive, we'll either (1) get a sack from the Smiths, (2) get a dropped pass, (3) get a penalty on the offense or (4) get a fumble/INT. There is no emphasis whatsoever on forcing a stop short of the line of gain through aggressive play at or near the LOS. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Man does this defense put Blake in an ugly spot. I imagine he wouldn't mind getting out of it. What do you do as an ILB? Play conservative and unless the DL stuffs it, you're always giving up 5+. Play aggressive and pick the wrong gap, he may house it.

Guy gets a lot of hate, but he's got the devil and angel on his shoulder every play I bet. He's in a lose/lose.

You may well be correct that Blake is a victim of a poor defensive scheme.

Perhaps that is why he seems so lost out there this season.

But on the play in question he did play it conservatively and still got blown back 15 yards. 

And I just have not seen much aggression from Blake in any facet of the game this season.

He is also a liability in the passing game, again he may a victim of the schemer here as well as I specifically mentioned it is time for Pettine to come under scrutiny as well.

In any event, if this is the scheme MLF/Pettine are going to utilize going forward it is pretty clear that Blake Martinez is not someone who is going to prosper playing in that scheme.

Edited by TheOnlyThing

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not sure it's as easy as sending anyone. Capers sent Hawk all the time and he proceeded to run into the azz of the nearest DL.

Then it's a poorly schemed blitz. Capers blitz package never changed. Eventually teams caught on that we were sending the slot corner or stunting both ILBs through the A gaps.

A blitz is never going to work 100% of the time, but look how KC shut down our offense in the 2nd Q, with limited talent on the field, with some well timed blitzes.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then it's a poorly schemed blitz. Capers blitz package never changed. Eventually teams caught on that we were sending the slot corner or stunting both ILBs through the A gaps.

A blitz is never going to work 100% of the time, but look how KC shut down our offense in the 2nd Q, with limited talent on the field, with some well timed blitzes.

And we come full circle. KC sent linebackers, of which we have none. Can't stop the run without any either.

Edited by cannondale

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And we come full circle. KC sent linebackers, of which we have none. Can't stop the run without any either.

As I said earlier, blitzing isn't about winning a 1-1. Oren Burks, Goodson, Martinez should have 0 problem running through a gap and tackling a QB. If you need to beat 1-1's than you've schemed a bad blitz and need to scrap it.

• Like 1

Man does this defense put Blake in an ugly spot. I imagine he wouldn't mind getting out of it. What do you do as an ILB? Play conservative and unless the DL stuffs it, you're always giving up 5+. Play aggressive and pick the wrong gap, he may house it. Guy gets a lot of hate, but he's got the devil and angel on his shoulder every play I bet. He's in a lose/lose.

Agree. They've got the guy (alone) on an island in the middle of the field.

Edited by Leader