Wildcard Watch

Shady Slim

now i’m not counting my chickens before they hatch but i figure given the playoffs are a realistic chance now (fivethirtyeight has us at 38%) maybe we should get talking about the winding road it will take to get there

left on the schedule we have

rams

bengals

ravens

bills

jets

cardinals

browns twice

indy today was incredibly key because it means we have the head to head against the colts; buffalo is a key game for a similar reason. the baltimore in baltimore game is unlikely to be for the division, though if it is to be for the division, we’ll need to run the table on the browns and cincy and then hope baltimore drops one, probably cleveland at the dawg pound

wins against the browns, bills, jets, cards, and bengals get us to 9-7, 10-6 if we do the browns twice

the rams and ravens games are winnable too if we happen to drop one of the ones i just mentioned, so there’s a few paths there

so what do we need to make the playoffs? what help from other teams is needed too? what improvements do the offense, defense, or specials have to make if we want to beat our remaining slate? all that and more!

54 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

so what do we need to make the playoffs? what help from other teams is needed too? what improvements do the offense, defense, or specials have to make if we want to beat our remaining slate? all that and more!

if we win out, that should work, 12-4 usually does as does 11-5. I would expect 11-5 to get a WC spot but why not go for 12-4 instead. Obviously the team needs to improve along the way, but teams that typically are near 60 sacks, 45 TO's and can get pressure with 4 stand a chance anyways.   Of all things though, the offensive line needs to play better IMO. 

This team could also implode, but they appear to be getting along , so self destructing and getting thrown under a bus etc isn't as likely. This could be interesting , but as of now I expect KC, and Houston to give the Ravens a run for that #2 seed.  

On 10/4/2019 at 10:53 AM, Dcash4 said:

but after the bye I see almost 10 winnable games. The Dolphins, Jets, Cardinals, are Bengals are really winnable regardless. The Browns and Ravens I put on more even footing at this point. And then the Colts, Bills, and Rams are nothing to scoff at by any means, but they are all showing tremendous flaws.

We need to go 1-1 before the bye (2-4), we need to beat the bad teams (6-4). We need to split the Browns (7-5), we need to split the remaining top 4 (9-7). That's a shot at the playoffs and a shot at the division. Obviously not saying 9-7 does it, but I think that's the range we need to look at to be successful, and I think its do-able based on a quarter of the season. Steal a game here and there, like the Rams at home which I generally look at as a loss, 10 wins. Pull a Tomlin and lose to a team we shouldnt, forget it. 

Re-posting my past thoughts because its relevant. 

So beating the Colts in my scenario above is part of the "Split the remaining top 4". Rams, Bills, Ravens left to go 1-2 against. Do-able. 

Already beat the Dolphins, so still gotta go 3-0 against the Jets, Cardinals, and Bengals. Do-able. 

Split the Browns. Do-able. 

Ravens are also going to beat the Bengals next week. That puts them at 7-2. A three game stretch against the Texans, Rams, and 49ers followed by Bills, Jets, Browns, and us. If they win 1 of the games in that rough 3 game stretch, there could be a real scenario when they dont need to play anyone against us in week 17. 

Could be a real fun stretch run here. 

22 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

Not very realistic. This team has many holes. We will be lucky to win 4 or 5 of the remaining games.

While winning all 8 is unrealistic, winning 4 is not really lucky either. We have games remaining against Cleveland x2, Cinci, Arizona, and the Jets. Cleveland has fallen apart and I think we win AT LEAST 1 of those games (a sweep is not lucky either). The Cinci, Arizona, Jets games should all be gravy. Yes it doesn't always happen that way, but winning 5 games isn't really lucky going forward.

9 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

While winning all 8 is unrealistic, winning 4 is not really lucky either. We have games remaining against Cleveland x2, Cinci, Arizona, and the Jets. Cleveland has fallen apart and I think we win AT LEAST 1 of those games (a sweep is not lucky either). The Cinci, Arizona, Jets games should all be gravy. Yes it doesn't always happen that way, but winning 5 games isn't really lucky going forward.

We will split with Cleveland - Arizona almost upset the Niners on Thursday - We never play well at New York

I hope we win all 8 just dont see it.

17 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

We will split with Cleveland - Arizona almost upset the Niners on Thursday - We never play well at New York

I hope we win all 8 just dont see it.

My point is that winning 4 or 5 wouldn't be luck. Those are SHOULD win games. I don't see all 8 either, but could see 6 or so more wins in the schedule (1 "upset" type game).

It's nice to get the win versus Indy. That's been a game the Steelers have lost so far this season. With the Ravens beating the Seahawks and Patriots, I do not see a scenario where the Steelers can win the division (assuming the Ravens don't collapse). 

I expect the Steelers will lose against the Rams, and then probably lose the Thursday night game at the Browns. Then, sitting at 4-6, it's possible they can win the next 5 to get to 9-6.

It should then be interesting to see if the Ravens have anything to play for at that point. 10-6 probably gets a WC spot, while 9-7 likely doesn't.

• Like 1