Redskins want to extend Ryan Kerrigan

turtle28

Inexplicable. 

Redskins thought process: “Here’s a guy who’s 31 years old, and he’s taken dramatic steps backwards in production in pretty much every sense (as 31 year olds are wont to do). He’s under contract for another year at a high cost, and in order to extend him without offending him, we’ll probably have to offer something close to what he’s making now and guarantee a good bit of money. We’re highly unlikely to contend next year, at the very least, and we’re potentially in position to draft a replacement who is a freak game-wrecker and arguably the best pass-rusher in a long time. He could be traded for pick assets that we need to help build a strong cast of weapons around our rookie QB.  But we’re very unpopular, and everybody likes Kerrigan, so let’s extend him well past his 33rd birthday instead.”

Look I like the guy a lot, but unless Kerrigan’s play takes a big step up after the bye week, he’s closer to “series of one-year contracts” territory than the “star player extension” zone. And those contracts should be with someone else when we trade him in the offseason. The already marginal (for a star pass-rusher) explosiveness appears to be starting to wane, and all we’ve ever gotten out of his leadership and role modelhood is a consistently below-average defense and a series of failed 2nd round picks under his tutelage. 

If it wasn’t for the Chase Young factor, I wouldn’t be so deadset against this. But that kid is an animal, and we’ve got a very real chance at being in position to get him. The fact that we’d be looking to do this before we have a sense of whether we can get Young — and risk creating a logjam and huge asset waste with two 2nd round picks (Sweat), a top 5 pick (Young), and a big veteran extension (Kerrigan) all tied up at one position — is nutso.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Makes sense. You aren't going anywhere for a couple years. He's clearly a veteran leader. If you extend him, you may be able to lower his average cap hit in 2020 and beyond.

Plus, it would be a nice slap in the face to Trent Williams. 

Yeah, we should definitely be doing that to Trent Williams....

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Makes sense. You aren't going anywhere for a couple years. He's clearly a veteran leader. If you extend him, you may be able to lower his average cap hit in 2020 and beyond.

Plus, it would be a nice slap in the face to Trent Williams. 

The Redskins front office has totally botched the Trent Williams situation. They’ve hurt themselves worse than ever with the horrible PR and not trading Trent when they could have last summer.

So, I’m not sure they could slap Trent hard enough where he’d feel it at this point.

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, we should definitely be doing that to Trent Williams....

Ask me if I care. He doesn't want to be here. 

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The Redskins front office has totally botched the Trent Williams situation. They’ve hurt themselves worse than ever with the horrible PR and not trading Trent when they could have last summer.

So, I’m not sure they could slap Trent hard enough where he’d feel it at this point.

No, they haven't. Williams had years to get a second opinion on his head. He didn't. He found more than enough time to smoke weed, but not enough time to go get a second opinion. 

Williams either wanted one last pay day before he's no longer serviceable, or he wanted out of DC. I really don't care which, and neither do the Redskins. They don't care about PR. I have pretty stout doubts about Williams' actual value. 

I am a big supporter of extending Ryan Kerrigan.  He has been the epitome of reliability and health.  He isn't carrying a huge injury and surgery history.  The guy takes care of himself.  

Everyone wants someone more flashy, but guess what, ALL OUR PLAYERS under perform on the redskins defense.  The fact that Ryan Kerrigan has performed as well as he has over his tenure here is impressive.  We get guys like Preston Smith who flashes here and then leaves and all of the sudden looks real.  Kerrigan has produced here over the years of crapola, imagine if we get an actual NFL quality defensive coordinator?

Besides all that, I am all for keeping on our own and I can't think of a guy more worth the money.  What are we going to do instead, pay a guy like PRich or Zach Brown.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, offbyone said:

I am a big supporter of extending Ryan Kerrigan.  He has been the epitome of reliability and health.  He isn't carrying a huge injury and surgery history.  The guy takes care of himself.  

Everyone wants someone more flashy, but guess what, ALL OUR PLAYERS under perform on the redskins defense.  The fact that Ryan Kerrigan has performed as well as he has over his tenure here is impressive.  We get guys like Preston Smith who flashes here and then leaves and all of the sudden looks real.  Kerrigan has produced here over the years of crapola, imagine if we get an actual NFL quality defensive coordinator?

Besides all that, I am all for keeping on our own and I can't think of a guy more worth the money.  What are we going to do instead, pay a guy like PRich or Zach Brown.  

How about we draft Chase Young, Trade Kerrigan, move Sweat to LOLB/LDE ... And get this one... Not overpay to retain a has-been OLB or overpay for an overpriced FA WR etc! 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

How about we draft Chase Young, Trade Kerrigan, move Sweat to LOLB/LDE ... And get this one... Not overpay to retail a has-been OLB or overpay for an overpriced FA WR etc! 

Chase Young looks impressive, but I wouldn't count on him being there when we pick.    

If we want a skill position player, I would rather take Jeudy.  Frankly, we have cap space, I am happy to overpay Ryan Kerrigan a bit because overpaying Ryan Kerrigan really isn't going to be that bad.