Redskins want to extend Ryan Kerrigan

turtle28

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Chase Young looks impressive, but I wouldn't count on him being there when we pick.    

If we want a skill position player, I would rather take Jeudy.  Frankly, we have cap space, I am happy to overpay Ryan Kerrigan a bit because overpaying Ryan Kerrigan really isn't going to be that bad.

I want the BPA. If Young is there, you take him and trade Kerrigan, that’s all I’m saying. Now, if we beat the Jets - which I think is unlikely - then they’ll be ahead of us and take Young, but I think the Bengals and Dolphins are going to take Tua and Burrow/Herbert.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I want the BPA. If Young is there, you take him and trade Kerrigan, that’s all I’m saying. Now, if we beat the Jets - which I think is unlikely - then they’ll be ahead of us and take Young, but I think the Bengals and Dolphins are going to take Tua and Burrow/Herbert.

if you are a BPA focused person then you are exactly right.  You sign Kerrigan, don't worry let signing Kerrigan affect draft decisions and then draft young if he is there.  You could always trade Kerrigan in season before deadline.

Personally, I think BPA is a bunch of foolishness.   For instance, if we stick with the 3-4 picking up Chase young is just a waste.  He is a 4-3 end.  He can't cover.  

Edited by offbyone

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

if you are a BPA focused person then you are exactly right.  You sign Kerrigan, don't worry let signing Kerrigan affect draft decisions and then draft young if he is there.  You could always trade Kerrigan in season before deadline.

Personally, I think BPA is a bunch of foolishness.   For instance, if we stick with the 3-4 picking up Chase young is just a waste.  He is a 4-3 end.  He can't cover.  

There’s no reason to extend Kerrigan before the draft. 

I’m so tired of people saying that about 4-3 DEs not being 3-4 OLBs. Go look at the history of 3-4 OLBS in the NFL, almost all of them are converted 4-3 college DEs.So, that point doesn’t pass the smell test.

I’d also argue that we don’t know if Young can cover or not bc he’s not been asked to do so in college. That being said, he’s more athletic than any OLB we’ve had - and most teams have at OLB - he’s very elusive and has good hips and moves we’ll sideline to sideline. I see no reason why he wouldn’t be better In coverage than most 3-4 OLBs and if he plays in the 3-4, at most he’d drop into coverage 20% of the plays for us, we are in a 4-2-5 look about 70% of the game. 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There’s no reason to extend Kerrigan before the draft. 

I’m so tired of people saying that about 4-3 DEs not being 3-4 OLBs. Go look at the history of 3-4 OLBS in the NFL, almost all of them are converted 4-3 college DEs.So, that point doesn’t pass the smell test.

I’d also argue that we don’t know if Young can cover or not bc he’s not been asked to do so in college. That being said, he’s more athletic than any OLB we’ve had - and most teams have at OLB - he’s very elusive and has good hips and moves we’ll sideline to sideline. I see no reason why he wouldn’t be better In coverage than most 3-4 OLBs and if he plays in the 3-4, at most he’d drop into coverage 20% of the plays for us, we are in a 4-2-5 look about 70% of the game. 

I think the reason is you get a good deal before free agency.  His stock is not super high right now, this is his worst season in a number of years.

I hear what you are saying about players learning to cover.  I think you are right, Sweat has this capability.  But Chase Young is likely going to enter the draft at 275lbs or something like that.  I don't think he is gonna be able to run with a tight end no matter how athletic he is.  

43 minutes ago, offbyone said:

BPA is far from a bunch of foolishness. That’s an absolutely absurd statement. 

We need to trade down from #1 or top pick, if we can get a haul.

Draft WR Jeudy to pair with McLaurin & possibly LT Andrew Thomas if we can net another 1st.

Maybe Trent Williams could be a draft day trade?? 

I would rather have a 1st between 5-10 after a trade down & another in the teens to twenties & a 2nd Rd pick & more....

Then the top pick in the draft & not picking again till the 3rd round.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

We need to trade down from #1 or top pick, if we can get a haul.

Draft WR Jeudy to pair with McLaurin & possibly LT Andrew Thomas if we can net another 1st.

Maybe Trent Williams could be a draft day trade?? 

I would rather have a 1st between 5-10 after a trade down & another in the teens to twenties & a 2nd Rd pick & more....

Then the top pick in the draft & not picking again till the 3rd round.

I’d rather just take the best player in the draft. I’m really tired of not doing being able to do that. I’m sick of having a bunch of “good players” and never elite. If Chase Young is as good as the Bosa brothers then that’s almost franchise changing. 

Chase Young seems to be Elite like the Bosa brothers and Garret. They all played DE in college. It would be foolish IMO to draft Young and put him at the OLB position in a 3-4, especially if no coaching change is made at DC. Your just setting Young up for failure if you plan on keeping Manusky as the DC! 

We've seen the impact of using a guy correct aka at their strengths with Preston Smith in Greenbay compared to being here. You can't consistently keep making that same mistake of drafting a guy to fit your scheme oppose to building a scheme that fit the players. 

I doubt the trade Kerrigan if resigned, but that shouldn't stop them from drafting Young if that's who they want. Young would just add depth to the pass rush witch would be a great thing. 

A 4-3 D with Sweat, Young, Kerrigan, and Matt as the DE's with Payne, Allen, Settle at DT looks good on paper to me. Lot's of pass rush ability there. 

Edited by Skins212689

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think the reason is you get a good deal before free agency.  His stock is not super high right now, this is his worst season in a number of years.

I hear what you are saying about players learning to cover.  I think you are right, Sweat has this capability.  But Chase Young is likely going to enter the draft at 275lbs or something like that.  I don't think he is gonna be able to run with a tight end no matter how athletic he is.  

Chase Young is far more athletic then most 4-3 college DEs. His size doesn’t mean anything, his athletic ability does, especially how well he flips his hips, his acceleration and change of direction which is clearly elite for a man his size.

He’s 6’5, 265 which is basically equivalent to guys who play 3-4 OLB and are 6’3, 250-255.

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Chase Young seems to be Elite like the Bosa brothers and Garret. They all played DE in college. It would be foolish IMO to draft Young and put him at the OLB position in a 3-4, especially if no coaching change is made at DC. Your just setting Young up for failure if you plan on keeping Manusky as the DC! 

We've seen the impact of using a guy correct aka at their strengths with Preston Smith in Greenbay compared to being here. You can't consistently keep making that same mistake of drafting a guy to fit your scheme oppose to building a scheme that fit the players. 

I doubt the trade Kerrigan if resigned, but that shouldn't stop them from drafting Young if that's who they want. Young would just add depth to the pass rush witch would be a great thing. 

A 4-3 D with Sweat, Young, Kerrigan, and Matt as the DE's with Payne, Allen, Settle at DT looks good on paper to me. Lot's of pass rush ability there. 

Again, the Packers play the same defense we do. They use Smith the same way. From what I’ve seen the only difference is that the Packers switch their 3-4 OLBS sides more often than we do bc Kerrigan has a hearing problem and plays almost every snap on the left side, so bc is that Preston always have to face good to elite LTs while most of the time Kerrigan faces lesser competition at RT. So, if PSmith rushes from the left side he’s getting more pressure. I’ve seen a few of his sacks coming from the left side even though that’s not the side he plays on a majority of the time.

The 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE position are almost identical except for 5-10 plays a game where the 3-4 OLB May drop into converge based on the formation the offense goes in. 

Edited by turtle28

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Again, the Packers play the same defense we do. They use Smith the same way. From what I’ve seen the only difference is that the Packers switch their 3-4 OLBS sides more often than we do bc Kerrigan has a hearing problem and plays almost every snap on the left side, so bc is that Preston always have to face good to elite LTs while most of the time Kerrigan faces lesser competition at RT. So, if PSmith rushes from the left side he’s getting more pressure. I’ve seen a few of his sacks coming from the left side even though that’s not the side he plays on a majority of the time.

The 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE position are almost identical except for 5-10 plays a game where the 3-4 OLB May drop into converge based on the formation the offense goes in. 

I'm not gonna get into A debate with you about this. I said what I said. 

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

I agree there’s nothing wrong with having Sweat young and Kerrigan!!! I’m completely okay with a overloaded defense and a run game because this year while we lose we can be a tough out and develop a identity to grow confidence and having 3 stud edge guys with our DL I’m with it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

There is no way in hell Manusky is back next year. 

• Like 2